The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: The FOOD Topic.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
multiple clusters of thoughts enter your mind. it's like being bombarded with memes, but they make sense and intensifies the lol wtf i am here right now this place is awweeeeeeesooooome! Cooking is fun!!!! FUCK yea when apocalypse comes i can make delicious food!! ooops....i hope it never happens........but seriously making breads and cakes, in the proper way in order to preserve its integrity and yummmmmmmm on the final product....its so satisfying especially on herbs, you realize a deeper meaning and appreciate the simple yet complex process in baking cakes.....and BAKED!

uhh...sativa ranting.
(02-19-2010, 01:49 PM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa! I fell asleep. Its the baked version. Here's what I put in yesterday:

1 bar of cream cheese
1/2 cup of cream cheese spread (Had to use it because it was gonna spoil in 3 weeks and my folks don't really eat cream cheese)
3/4 cup of sugar
3 tsb flour
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extrace
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1tsb of all purpose cream.

For the crust, it was the standard Graham crackers, sugar and butter. For the fruit toppings, I just used preserved cherries, and heated all the contents (including the syrup) on a stove while mixing in some corn starch to help thicken the mixture.

[Image: UdIHn.jpg]

Baked the whole thing in around 20 minutes for 200 decrees Celsius. I'm suspecting that it was the cream cheese spread that was the culprit in the softer texture. So any suggestions for making a better cheesecake? Any alternative cheeses I can use or any ingredients I can add? :p

(after reading my post, it sounds like I'm asking for suggestions for an AC design LOL )

Blueberries! Clapping
i could be technical because most of you have that mindset anyway because of the AC experience lol which i really don't have the patience in remembering parts and stats...lol numbers confuzzzzzzion but i could handle rhythm and dexterity ok...ramblling but given your ingredients...correct me if i'm wrong...

make custard by:
whisking egg yolks over the water bath *bowl over steaming water*
when //ribbon stage// *whisk then lift and if mixture has rippling effect that lasts about 1-2 seconds before the stream disappears, add sugar, then vanilla, finish with zest stir with wooden spoon,
then add sifted all purpose flour stir then finish with cream....

mix custard with cream cheese and cream cheese spread then baked on top of base....with toppings?

my suggestion is as you are making that custard...you can add gelatin -the unflavored sheet ones- not the powder...to enhance setting power. You can also add corn starch about 2 tsp to that recipe to ++ setting power. although there are other factors like oven temp, heat penetration....meaning what kind of oven and how is the air circulation?

anyway, i would definitely use a dense cheese then thin it out with smooth cheeses....
ooops, problem is the selection of cheeses...i can't recall what soft cheeses are available there, anyway, philadelphia cheese is pretty decent and delicios to use. quark *german cheese* is also a good one, though i'm not sure of availability.
I was using a regular oven, I could use a convection oven if its gonna be better. I'll try the gelatin suggestion next time, as well as the custard steps before adding it on the cream cheese. Thanks :p

Right now I'm enjoying what I made Big grin but I most certainly will try your suggestions the next time I make cheesecake Tongue prolly next week or something with blueberries instead. Any suggestions for the fruit glaze/syrup? Tongue
aa, rick, your heart!

but it looks effin delish! aaaa if i only had baking skills ;o;
you can make a compote....let's say you have a can of blueberries or cherries......as for recipes, i have but this will be more of a custom recipe based on your experience. the recipes that i have are from the curriculum and are very seasonal so it's kinda hard to adapt to philippine setting.

so can of blueberries.........
==strain
==collect lliquid and set aside a small amount and mix cornstarch to it, you may add water if there's barely enough liquid
===heat liquid, add sugar, then the cornstarch slurry
===[consistency check.....heat management....] you want a consistency that's not too thick or too thin.....and that is managed by heat.
=== add the zest **if you add too soon and heat it, flavor loss** then the fruits, mix gently as to not ruin the shapes, then there you have it, nice compote for glazing.

if you can find frozen blueberries *i remember they have in market2* then recipe would change slightly. you will have to sacrifice some berries to get their juice, add little bit of water then simmer the berries then follow the rest of the step.

any clarifications or "WTF did yo say?!?? what?!?!" just ask. i
Japan gets Melon, Green Tea-flavored Kit Kat We're not worthy

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...01867.html

And then their weirdness prevails yet again.

Quote:Kit Kat bars are now available in 19 new flavours that reflect specialities from regions across Japan, ranging from sweet potatoes from Okinawa to melons from Hokkaido, strawberries from Tochigi, green tea from Kyoto and soy sauce from Tokyo.

I wonder how that tastes
wow...i'm now looking forward to the chocolate part of the course...i can make kitkat from scratch....lol!
(02-19-2010, 03:48 PM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]Right now I'm enjoying what I made Big grin but I most certainly will try your suggestions the next time I make cheesecake Tongue prolly next week or something with blueberries instead. Any suggestions for the fruit glaze/syrup? Tongue

I think strawberries soaked in sweet orange juice sound nice.
That's interesting Tongue I might try it soon, but for the moment I'm interested in perfecting the custard/sauce part of the cheesecake. Strawberry in orange glaze Tongue

What flavors would you guys suggest?
peach and mangoes....i miss the mangoes....
Rick, practice making the cake part itself first. Don't top it with anything. Once you've perfected that, pretty much any topping should work out. And then you can move on to bittersweet chocolate cheesecakes. OMG.
i have a chocolate pecan cheesecake recipe if you want. =D
Japan's top 10 Gourmet Burger Restaurants:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ADaQlbkhdU0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ADaQlbkhdU0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

EDIT: Hemp, I'd be very interested Big grin. A bit exotic for me, but I'm still very interested :p I still don't know how to infuse chocolate on cheesecake properly though.
I got to cook for my relatives over here as a good bye treat.
I cooked the low budget version of my mom's curry sauce.

Hemp, the toasting the curry powder worked well. It tasted a little stronger.
I should have bought more though because I miscalculated the quantity of ingredients.
This will be better next time I cook it.

What I had:
2 small packs of curry powder (should've made it 4)
1 head of garlic - minced fine
1 head of onion - sliced
2 cans Argentina Corned Beef.
2 cartons of Nestle All-Purpose Cream
1 can Carnation Evap - used half the can.
-- siling giniling! siling giniling! Ha! Ha! - sa akin lang to. they might not like it spicy hot.

1. Toasted curry powder. I can't really say it darkened, because the lights were off while I was still working with the powder. I removed it afterwards.
2. Put oil in the pan, sauteed garlic, then onion, then added the corned beef.
3. Added the cream, set it to low fire. Added milk after a minute.
4. Added salt.