The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seriously. That sucks so bad. You're rolling on EDSA minding your own business and then *BAM* bomb explosion. Someone out there must really hate our public transportation system.
(01-25-2011, 04:48 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously. That sucks so bad. You're rolling on EDSA minding your own business and then *BAM* bomb explosion. Someone out there must really hate our public transportation system.

They could've used an empty bus though. Paranoid na naman mg tao dito. Well, Antlan takes that route, so it's understandable.
Meh, not really. Either way, gotta hate it when it happens. We don't even know why the hell that happened.
Egyptian government turns off the internet

And apparently, phone lines and cell networks as well. Egypt has gone dark.
So guiz, did you know that Ret. Gen. Angelo Reyes like, shot himself in the chest yesterday in front of his mother's grave? So now he's like, suicidead.

Everyone was talking about it yesterday but no mention of it on RR. That's kinda awesome. And sad. But more awesome. Carry on. Tongue

Edit: But seriously, can't we at least say something? Like "the investigations should continue!" or "the poor innocent man was being bullied!" or "was he an organ donor?" Hmm.
If this were the olden times, he would've used a knife to gut himself and then he would have regained his honor. But of course, this ain't the feudal era. Nowadays, it's regarded as a quick and cowardly way out. Sleep

Yeah, i know, pretty insensitive. I'll get my karma someday.
We're very much aware of it, but there really isn't that much to talk about.

I heard that he actually was a good guy just eaten up by the system. I'm sure he had his share of shenanigans, except that he wasn't as greedy relative to everyone else, and I think that partaking of the dirty water is pretty much a requisite to advancement/survival in the military. I have to respect that he wanted to go out with some honor, still. The rest of them ought to shoot themselves too.

Semi-related reading: http://www.ellentordesillas.com/?p=7176 (it's about General Garcia's kid)

(02-09-2011, 11:10 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]The rest of them ought to shoot themselves too.

Capital idea, old chap!
There isn't really much room to banter on about the suicide issue, I do hope he settled his matters before he kicked his bucket. If I were to speculate, I'm not buying the suicide as it is, it seems really,really fishy.
(02-09-2011, 06:53 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]But seriously, can't we at least say something? Like "the investigations should continue!" or "the poor innocent man was being bullied!" or "was he an organ donor?" Hmm.

His death doesn't solve anything, nor does it save his family from the legal hell this investigation entails. If anything, this just means they'll focus ALL their attention on his wife and kids.

In other news, an opinion column on why Egypt probably won't turn into another theocracy:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/opinio...ted=1&_r=2

Quote:This error was compounded when the Brotherhood threw in its lot with Mohamed ElBaradei, the former diplomat and Nobel Prize winner. A Brotherhood spokesman, Dr. Essam el-Erian, told Al Jazeera, “Political groups support ElBaradei to negotiate with the regime.” But when Mr. ElBaradei strode into Tahrir Square, many ignored him and few rallied to his side despite the enormous publicity he was receiving in the Western press. The Brotherhood realized that in addition to being late, it might be backing the wrong horse. On Tuesday, Dr. Erian told me, “It’s too early to even discuss whether ElBaradei should lead a transitional government or whether we will join him.” This kind of flip-flopping makes many Egyptians scoff.

When the army allowed hundreds of Mubarak supporters and plainclothes policemen through barricades on Wednesday to muscle out protesters, the Muslim Brotherhood may have gained an opportunity. It might be able to recover lost leverage by showing its organizational tenacity in resisting the attempts to repress the demonstrators.

Nonetheless, the Brotherhood did not arrive at this historical moment with the advantage of wide public favor. Such support as it does have among Egyptians — an often cited figure is 20 percent to 30 percent — is less a matter of true attachment than an accident of circumstance: the many decades of suppression of secular opposition groups that might have countered it. The British, King Farouk, Gamal Abdel Nasser and Anwar el-Sadat all faced the same problem that Hisham Kaseem, a newspaper editor and human rights activist, described playing out under Mr. Mubarak. “If people met in a cafe and talked about things the regime didn’t like, he would just shut down the cafe and arrest us,” Mr. Kaseem said. “But you can’t close mosques, so the Brotherhood survived.”

If Egyptians are given political breathing space, Mr. Kaseem told me, the Brotherhood’s importance will rapidly fade. “In this uprising the Brotherhood is almost invisible,” Mr. Kaseem said, “but not in America and Europe, which fear them as the bogeyman.”

Do yourselves a favor peeps - switch to Al Jazeera for better coverage of what's actually happening in Egypt.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/17...rn-to-taf/

THERE IS STILL HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Nix, I heard it's now illegal to buy condoms in Ayala Alabang without a prescription.

http://alabangbulletin.com/2011/02/24/ba...ldren.html

LOLLL
Yeah, super retarded. =/

St. James is really vocal about anti-RH stuff... and the highly influential religious people here just gobbles it up.
Hey guys try Cracked.com. it should be an interesting read. lots of articles and stuff. trust me. Big grin