The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Christian Group Sues for Right to Burn Gay Teen Novel

Quote:In a scene which appears to have been lifted straight out of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, a group of Christians in Wisconsin has launched a legal claim demanding the right to publicly burn a copy of a book for teenagers which they deem to be "explicitly vulgar, racial [sic], and anti-Christian"
Quote:Boy Survives 30,000 mph Meteorite Impact

This 14-year-old boy is Gerrit Blank, and he is probably smiling because he survived a 30,000 mph meteorite hit. His tale—confirmed by scientists at Germany's Walter Hohmann Observatory—seems like the genesis of a superhero:

"At first I just saw a large ball of light, and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand. Then a split second after that there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder. The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards. When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself into the road."

That could have been written by Stan Lee himself, but it is what really happened. According to scientists, the highly magnetic rock—the size of a pea—came from outer space. It was probably a lot bigger when it entered the atmosphere, but this was the bit that survived the burning process. It hit him on his hand, leaving a 3-inch scar. If the hot meteorite had hit him on his head or torso, he would be dead now.

Only one other human has survived a meteor strike—a one in a million chance.
Mayor Sued Over Boys Paid to Play Basketball in Briefs

Quote:The mayor of a sleepy town in Bataan province had been charged with prostitution and lewd show for allegedly paying some 40 teenage boys to play basketball while in their underwear, a lawyer said Tuesday. Roque said the mayor's camp lured the boys to play basketball at the town plaza in exchange for P200 pesos per shoot, and P500 up to P1000 each if they would do it wearing only their underwear.

Del Rosario denied the charges, saying when he arrived at the town plaza the boys were already playing in their underwear.

"Naghubad ng kusa yan. Ang sabi ko para matahimik na kayo eto ang P500, huwag na kayo mag-brief (They undressed voluntarily. I told them to stop and even gave them P500 to get dressed)," Del Rosario said in an interview over radio dzMM.

He said the charges were politically-motivated.

HE PAIDED (BIKE MONEY) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason
(06-16-2009, 10:59 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]Mayor Sued Over Boys Paid to Play Basketball in Briefs

I heard this over the radio earlier. Damn dude. PAIDED them big time.
Tattoo gone wrong: Stars and gripes forever?

Quote:A Belgian teenager has told police how she emerged from a tattoo parlor with 56 stars over one side of her face, rather than the three she had asked for, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

"I said this part, the top, is ok, but not the rest," Kimberley Vlaeminck from the city of Kortrijk, 90 km (56 miles) northwest of Brussels, told Belgian broadcaster VRT.

The 18-year-old said she fell asleep during the procedure, and woke up in pain when her nose was being tattooed.

SHE DIDN'T GET WHAT SHE PAIDED FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason
Hahahah she got MORE than what she paided for. LOL
holy shit thats a lotta stars on her face. the culprit should have PAIDED IN BLOOD.
(06-16-2009, 10:59 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]Mayor Sued Over Boys Paid to Play Basketball in Briefs

HE PAIDED (BIKE MONEY) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jason

THE MAYOR DIDNT [Image: PAIDED.jpg] THEM ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
That meme's gonna burn out someday if you keep using it.

Laughing facepalm describes me best. LOL
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnew...as-station

LOLOLOL

Robbers take the whole ATM machine from a SLEX gas station.

BIKE MONEY!!!! Jason
PAIDED!!!Jason JasonJason Jason
(06-18-2009, 11:52 AM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnew...as-station

LOLOLOL

Robbers take the whole ATM machine from a SLEX gas station.

BIKE MONEY!!!! Jason

FUKCING BANK HAS TO PAIDED THE BIKE MONEY!!!!!
I cried after reading the original article Sad

Pixar grants girl's dying wish to see 'Up'
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pixar...-home-show

Quote:Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing - a movie. From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film. After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins’ Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

It was great for Pixar to actually fly someone over with the movie and then give souvineers. They didn't even want credit for the act by saying no comment to the media. Didn't know corporations could still act that way.
Was really moved by this article. Looks like there are still some nice people around....