The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That reminds me more or MR.Bean getting shipped to Moscow.
'Meh': Apathetic expression enters dictionary

JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer Wrote:LONDON – At least someone is excited about "meh."

The expression of indifference or boredom has gained a place in the Collins English Dictionary after generating a surprising amount of enthusiasm among lexicographers.

Publisher HarperCollins announced Monday the word had been chosen from terms suggested by the public for inclusion in the dictionary's 30th anniversary edition, to be published next year.

The origins of "meh" are murky, but the term grew in popularity after being used in a 2001 episode of "The Simpsons" in which Homer suggests a day trip to his children Bart and Lisa.

"They both just reply 'meh' and keep watching TV," said Cormac McKeown, head of content at Collins Dictionaries.

The dictionary defines "meh" as an expression of indifference or boredom, or an adjective meaning mediocre or boring. Examples given by the dictionary include "the Canadian election was so meh."

The dictionary's compilers said the word originated in North America, spread through the Internet and was now entering British spoken English.

"This is a new interjection from the U.S. that seems to have inveigled its way into common speech over here," McKeown said. "Internet forums and e-mail are playing a big part in formalizing the spellings of vocal interjections like these. A couple of other examples would be 'hmm' and 'heh.'

"Meh" was selected by Collins after it asked people to submit words they use in conversation that are not in the dictionary. Other suggestions included jargonaut, a fan of jargon; frenemy, an enemy disguised as a friend; and huggles, a hybrid of hugs and snuggles.
I remember Nix and the Simpsons whenever I hear that word.
(11-18-2008, 03:47 PM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]I remember Nix and the Simpsons whenever I hear that word.

I just remember Nix. Haha! That's awesome news.
(11-13-2008, 09:29 AM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2008, 04:31 AM)Nerese Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm... I remembered that guy who married a barbie doll way back then... India I think.

Link please! Ninja

Can't find it
Luma na kasi.
I just heard from the radio some judge just made listening to barney for an hour a punishment (and it seems its not a prank XD) can anyone try and find any details? LOL
(11-27-2008, 07:19 AM)clonezero Wrote: [ -> ]I just heard from the radio some judge just made listening to barney for an hour a punishment (and it seems its not a prank XD) can anyone try and find any details? LOL

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=judge+...=firefox-a
LOL

That punishment would drive me crazy.
(11-27-2008, 09:20 PM)Goat Wrote: [ -> ]SICK FUCK!

http://news.aol.com/article/briton-impre...mes/261112

Wow that was nasty. Good he's behind bars.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. It'll probably be splashed across all the headlines when we wake up later on, but it's been on the news since this morning.

It leads to a detailed news report on the Mumbai terrorist attacks (8 happened simultaneously in different crowded areas) today which left 100 people dead, including high ranking police officers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7752003.stm
(11-28-2008, 12:08 AM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet. It'll probably be splashed across all the headlines when we wake up later on, but it's been on the news since this morning.

It leads to a detailed news report on the Mumbai terrorist attacks (8 happened simultaneously in different crowded areas) today which left 100 people dead, including high ranking police officers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7752003.stm

I'm watching it right now on CNN. It makes me cringe. Ninja
24 hours later, the fighting is still going on. This is really outside the usual scope of the typical terrorist bombing, and they really want to get attention this time through endurance. The object of the insurgents is to induce panic through violence, as no formal statement or demands have been made. This is really scary, as all of them are suicidal gun-wielding individuals to do this sort of thing. I'm interested in how the Indian government and the local and military respond to this situation.
the anti-terrorist chief must have been a vital target ... poor guy

as to date we've got

a multi pronged attack at Mumbai India

a large strike / coup at Thailand

pirates from somalia

a recent bombing at Afgan

Iraq's still a heep

MILF ... aaah how was that fairing again?

what else?

someone else state the good side Im currently on pessimist mode XD
Always a headline when there are white casualties.