The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Update on Thailand stabbing incident:

Thai Gov't bans GTA sales in country following cabbie death.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_Gd..._1vKBE3EUg

Quote:BANGKOK (AFP) — Thai authorities banned the Grand Theft Auto computer game on Tuesday, after a disturbed teenager allegedly killed a taxi driver in a copycat crime.

Following news earlier Tuesday that the game's distributor would no longer stock the game, Thai police told AFP they had officially banned it because of "obscene" content.

"The police are empowered to immediately arrest shopkeepers if they find any GTA (Grand Theft Auto) games on sale," Ruangsak Jaritake, a police spokesman, told AFP.

"GTA is banned mainly because of its obscene content -- under the criminal law article 287 that prohibits reproduction, distribution or possession of such material," he said.

He said the police will work with the Culture Ministry to check that online gaming sites are properly licensed and will block websites which offer violent games.

Any game seller found stocking the game could be sentenced to three years in prison and a fine up to 6,000 baht (180 dollars).

Stricter penalties are in place for online sellers who could receive five years imprisonment and a 100,000 baht (3,000 dollars) fine.

An 18-year-old high school student has been charged with robbery and possession of a weapon, and could face the death penalty or life imprisonment if convicted.

Police said the teenager had become incensed when he could not afford to play the game, which encourages gamers to kill and steal cars in order to accrue points.

The teen was arrested on Sunday after police found the bloody body of a 50-year-old Bangkok taxi driver slumped in his cab.

The Grand Theft Auto computer game series, which has sold about 70 million copies, has come under fire for its graphic depiction of casual violence, drug dealing and prostitution.

The New Era Interactive Media company, the only legal distributor of the games, said earlier Tuesday it would remove the game from sale in Thailand.

"We have stopped selling Grand Theft Auto and inform all legal vendors to withdraw the game from their shelves," the company said in an online statement.

"The company will not import GTA 4 (the next in the series) to distribute in Thailand," it added.

The company also warned people to be careful about the types of computer games they buy and urged friends and relatives of gamers to watch their behaviour closely when playing.

Here are my two cents:

1. Does anybody else think something smells fishy about the way the Thai Gov't enacted a game ban just hours after a crime that's speculated to be linked to the offending title? What happened to due process? Or a thorough investigation of what really may have been going through the kid's head? The whole setup just seems too well-timed...

2. The way I see it, all this will do is boost piracy in the area.

3. While we're on the topic of media causing people to become violent, why don't they boycott/ban all of Tony Jaa's stuff as well? I mean, I haven't seen that level of senseless violence on flicks in years! Cool, yes. Intelligent? No.

4. Oh sure, as if their child prostitution issues aren't a big enough social problem that needs more due attention than something this..."urgent."

For the record, it's me Twin-Skies. I logged in with my sis' account by mistake.
I knew there'd be this whole video game violence backlash-brouhaha resurrection again with this kind of news.

It's getting pretty tiring, to say the least.

---

Who knew? 6 degrees of separation from anyone in the world doesn't sound so impossible after all.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnew...separation
The usual response of gamers: "were being discriminated NGENGENGENGNENGENGE stop blaming the industry etc etc etc huhuhu"

You can blame a lot of things, but there's no reason why video games should be excluded.
J.E_Magog Wrote:The usual response of gamers: "were being discriminated NGENGENGENGNENGENGE stop blaming the industry etc etc etc huhuhu"

You can blame a lot of things, but there's no reason why video games should be excluded.

It's not so much that gamers are being discriminated against. What irks me is that muggings have been happening for decades in Thailand. This kid's crime is one of many, and yet the Thai government decided that it was the "evil video games" that made him do it. As I've said before, there are far too many factors to consider for the kid's actions that we can easily blame it on one friggin medium.

Catcher in the Rye, anyone?
Woooooooooooooooooooooooo WOooooooOWOWOOWOWOWopooooooooooooooooooooooo

[Image: Image0809-0045CVBS13.jpg]
[Image: Image0809-0045CVBS19.jpg]
Bat pipiptin lang kayo!
Hehe oo nga. Kumpara sa mga ibang bansa sobrang konti lang nung satin.

Pero sobrang OK yung opening ceremony, especially yung pag-ilaw nung torch. Galing!
Territory battle russia vs georgia
It's ironic. Isn't it...?
RE4 and God of War are going to get the banhammer in Thailand lawl

Thailand tags 10 video games "violent" after murder
J.E_Magog Wrote:Territory battle russia vs georgia
It's ironic. Isn't it...?

I haven't got all the facts. All I know is Georgia? invaded? first? then Russia retaliated? Is that what happened?

In any case, I've been following the Olympics too, especially Michael Phelps' incredible run so far. 5 golds down, 3 to go! And 11 total and counting!

I liked this quote by Russian competitor Alexander Sukhorukov: "He is just a normal person, but maybe from a different planet." LOL

Also, the Chinese may have a hidden advantage.
I wasn't able to follow much of the olympics because of the conflict.
Naubos na ang internet ko dahil dyan.

So far there's too much propaganda war going on.
I don't like how the US government and their media is handling this conflict. They only broadcast what they want the viewers to see.
bhfghf
I believe russia does the same thing. But at least they don't stray too far from the South Ossetia issue.
Grim Wrote:Also, the Chinese may have a hidden advantage.

Something related: a professional cyclist friend told me that a uniform which is mostly pink is banned in races because it makes people who stare at the uniform/color tire out more quickly.
wear orange to make people more prone to epilepsy LOL

what the world needs are proper early childhood parenting classes ...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EPZUCPxhgI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7EPZUCPxhgI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
USAIN BOLT is a Dominanto
I just hope there's no drugs involved.
J.E_Magog Wrote:I just hope there's no drugs involved.

I don't think there is. Lightning was made for this event.
Maybe he drank some Lakas Uhaw.