The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-22-2010, 11:25 AM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]“If only I did not go through such hard labor in the mountains—I was a wood gatherer and I carried sugarcane when I was young—I should have been taller because the Lapids are very big. I should have been taller than my father who was 5 [feet] 11 [inches],” said the senator who stands 5’9”.
[/quote]

HNGYAKHNGYAKHNGYAKHNGYAKHNGYAKHNGYAK LOLLOLLOL

WOW Philippines indeed.

Quote:CALIFORNIA, United States—Thanks to the Philippine Supreme Court of Midnight Chief Justice Renato Corona, Filipinos now enjoy a "right" unlike any bestowed anywhere else in the world.

Filipinos are now free to copy the words and thoughts of other authors without attribution and without fear of being charged with plagiarism unless the accuser can prove “malicious intent.”

This new “right” was promulgated by the Supreme Court on October 15, 2010 in the Matter of the Charges of Plagiarism against Associate Justice Mariano C. Del Castillo where the court majority voted to absolve their colleague of plagiarism charges for including in his ruling entire paragraphs lifted directly from foreign sources without attribution.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/columns...plagiarize
Tangina.

That's such an epic fail on our part that I can do nothing more than just lol at it.
(10-22-2010, 11:25 AM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]Wondering what wannabe National Artist Carlo J. Caparas has been up to lately?

Carlo Caparas faces P540-M tax evasion case
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhea...asion-case

Quote:“Ang Panday” creator and “massacre films” director Carlo J. Caparas has been slapped with a multimillion-peso tax evasion case stemming from a P1.3-billion contract between the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) and his production outfit.

Commissioner Kim Jacinto-Henares of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) said Caparas was facing 64 counts of criminal charges for violating the Tax Code when he failed to remit taxes from 2006 to 2009.

Henares said the PCSO had paid Caparas P850.95 million for the production of various programs during the period.

The BIR chief made the announcement at a press conference at the Justice department where the agency filed the case against the controversial film and TV director. Justice Secretary Leila de Lima was present at the media briefing.

From his earnings from the PCSO, Caparas must pay the government P540.21 million inclusive of surcharges and penalties, Henares said.

Lapid bill says children must support parents
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhea...rt-parents
Quote:Lapid has filed a measure titled “Maintenance of Parents Act of 2010,” which will enable parents to ask the courts to require their children to provide them financial support.

In the explanatory note to Senate Bill No. 2519, the action-star-turned-lawmaker observed that “the incidence of elderly people neglected by their children is becoming not uncommon.”

“The onset of urbanization and commercialization has brought with it certain factors that tend to erode Filipino family ties and values,” Lapid said.

“This bill reinforces the duty of children to care for their elderly parents, providing elderly persons … recourse to the law,” he said.

SB 2519 tackles a serious subject matter that runs deep in Philippine culture—respect for the elderly.

“The state shall provide legal assistance to elderly people in the enforcement of their right to demand support from their relatives,” it reads in part.

Section 4 of the bill states that “children shall maintain and support their father or mother or other direct ascendants who are in need.”

It seeks to enable the elderly to file a court petition with the assistance of a representative of the Department of Social Welfare and Development. During trial, the petitioner will also be represented by the Public Attorney’s Office “and shall be exempt from all charges and fees.”

In ruling on a petition, the court “shall take into consideration the financial resources of the child/children and his obligation to maintain his own family before it orders the maintenance and support of the elderly member,” according to the bill.

Childhood experience

Last month, Lapid drew criticism from Education Secretary Armin Luistro for proposing that schools limit the load of students’ bags to 15 percent of their body weight.

Luistro commented that he had found Lapid’s SB 2179 quite trivial.

But Lapid argued that the measure was partly the product of his own childhood experience.

“If only I did not go through such hard labor in the mountains—I was a wood gatherer and I carried sugarcane when I was young—I should have been taller because the Lapids are very big. I should have been taller than my father who was 5 [feet] 11 [inches],” said the senator who stands 5’9”.

My sympathies for those of you with deadbeat parents. Sad

Random opinion of the day: When I become emperor for life of RP, anybody who votes Lapid or Bong Revilla into politics will be summarily subject to mandatory castrations and lobotomization. While it may seem cruel, it may actually increase their intelligence from before the procedure. The castration will serve as a preventive measure so that they will not infect the rest with their stupidity.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

(10-22-2010, 04:01 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]WOW Philippines indeed.

Quote:CALIFORNIA, United States—Thanks to the Philippine Supreme Court of Midnight Chief Justice Renato Corona, Filipinos now enjoy a "right" unlike any bestowed anywhere else in the world.

Filipinos are now free to copy the words and thoughts of other authors without attribution and without fear of being charged with plagiarism unless the accuser can prove “malicious intent.”

This new “right” was promulgated by the Supreme Court on October 15, 2010 in the Matter of the Charges of Plagiarism against Associate Justice Mariano C. Del Castillo where the court majority voted to absolve their colleague of plagiarism charges for including in his ruling entire paragraphs lifted directly from foreign sources without attribution.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/columns...plagiarize

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

NinjaNinjaNinjaNinjaWootNinjaNinjaNinjaNinja
Woman Kills Baby For Interrupting Farmville Session
http://kotaku.com/5675176/woman-kills-ba...le-session
http://ph.news.yahoo.com/ap/20101101/tap...2a5de.html

Dunno if this has been posted but wth.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaay facepalm.
^

Quote:Before the fatal shooting, Cuizon went to the police station to tell officers about the reported presence of armed men, and was informed the gunmen may be part of the film production. An officer accompanied him to the area anyway, which was behind the police station, "to protect the film shooting ... in case there really were armed men in the area," Relado said.

Cuizon was walking fast and reached the masked men on the motorcycle ahead of the officer, who told him the two were part of the cast.

"I don't know why he still accosted them," Relado said. "Just as he reached the motorcycle, the director signaled 'Action.' He thought they were going to escape that's why he grabbed (Abella) by the shirt and shot him immediately."

Cuizon told police he had borrowed the pistol he used _ a homemade .357 Magnum _ but refused to identify the owner, Relado said. Cuizon is in custody and will be charged Tuesday with homicide and violation of a gun ban, Relado said.

[Image: jesus-facepalm.jpg]

Yesterday's news but i only saw it just now - http://ph.news.yahoo.com/gma/20101104/tp...cd5cf.html

Looks like the boys in blue are learning from their mistakes during that last fiasco.
$1,500,000 fine for illegal music download

People these days just loved to make money by lawsuits no?
(11-05-2010, 11:39 PM)medusa0 Wrote: [ -> ]$1,500,000 fine for illegal music download

People these days just Americans love to make money by lawsuits no?

Smile
(11-05-2010, 11:52 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]Post

LOL so true...
Lito Lapid wants to create a Graphics Novel archive
http://www.gameops.net/2010/11/sen-lito-...serve.html