The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
^Seconded.

This is MADNESS. He getting into that congressional spot is one of the worst jokes I've seen in years.
Shintetsu Wrote:^Seconded.

This is MADNESS. He getting into that congressional spot is one of the worst jokes I've seen in years.

Madness...? THIS. IS. THE PHILIPPINES!!!!

*Kicks Shintetsu in the gut*

Sorry dude, you asked for it Chair

Btw, remember that letter I sent to the Inquirer regarding the CBCP? <a href="http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20080714-148259/Anti-life-pols-must-be-refused-communion" target="_blank"><br>
Anti-life pols must be refused communion</a><br>
<br>

They published it Fear

http://blogs.inquirer.net/voxpopuli/2008...standards/
You're now RR's resident politician. Pirate
Twin-Skies Wrote:Btw, remember that letter I sent to the Inquirer regarding the CBCP?

They published it

Nice!
Twin-Skies FTW!
Here's an information page on the bill(s)
http://www.ncrfw.gov.ph/inside_pages/leg..._bill.html

Please tell me what you think of this statement:

"I think that the church has valid reason to be concerned, because proper sex education applied to uneducated people will result in lust and too much sex, which will affect the morality and productivity of their constituents."

...And no, it's not like that in the States. We only sleep with people who deserve to be slept with.
The statement only refers to the "uneducated".
Are you comparing yourself to those people?
AppleHead Wrote:Here's an information page on the bill(s)
http://www.ncrfw.gov.ph/inside_pages/leg..._bill.html

Please tell me what you think of this statement:

"I think that the church has valid reason to be concerned, because proper sex education applied to uneducated people will result in lust and too much sex, which will affect the morality and productivity of their constituents."

...And no, it's not like that in the States. We only sleep with people who deserve to be slept with.

As I've state before, this statement implies that people will suddenly become voluptuous if they're exposed to proper sex education. If we followed the chuch's logic, then it also means that if we read about firearms, that would make us trigger-happy, or that reading about serial killers will want us to commit murder. Plenty of us have read Cather in the Rye by this point I assume; Have any of us ever ended up thinking of killing anybody after that?

Quote:"I think that the church has valid reason to be concerned, because proper sex education applied to uneducated people will result in lust and too much sex, which will affect the morality and productivity of their constituents."

This argument defeats itself - the "proper sex education" clause implies that the program in mind is comprehensive and is geared specifically so that it's easily understood by the"uneducated." Key word: proper

The reason why so many unwanted births are happening here is exactly because of lack of sex education - the people involved in the act are often horribly misinformed of their consequences. You know it's bad when segments of the masa think pregnancies or even the passing of AIDS occur because of simple physical contact.

I come from a high school that did have a proper sex ed class mind you, and it involved a thorough explanation of how the human reproductive system works. Sure, the class turned out a few giggles here and there, but in the end, it did give us a very clear idea of what may happen given certain "choices" of actions.

We also ended up doing basic theology in college, which delved once again into the sacredness of matrimony and the sacrament of vocation. Guess what? The class required reading into scientific sex ed to give us a better appreciation of the doctrines.

From my experience, you cannot show genuine respect and veneration for the opposite sex unless you have a proper understanding of how they work. Ergo - a proper mix of science and religion.

This is why I think that the CBCP does NOT speak for me, or other more level-headed Catholics. I come from a Catholic school whose policies seem to fly in the face of their critiques of proper reproductive rights.

As for the CBCP's insistence that the bill is pro-abortion (quoting the bill):

Quote:Provides the framework for implementing the ten elements of a comprehensive reproductive health program as follows: (1) maternal, infant and child health and nutrition, including the promotion of breastfeeding; (2) family planning and information services; (3) adolescent and youth health; (4) prevention of abortion and management of post-abortion complications; (5) prevention and management of reproductive tract infections, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmittable infections; (6) elimination of violence against women; (7) education and counseling on sexuality and sexual health; (8) treatment of breast and reproductive tract cancers and other gynecological conditions; (9) male involvement and participation in reproductive health; and (10) prevention and treatment of infertility and sexual dysfunction;

My question to the bishops: Where does it state that abortion is an accepted means of promoting reproductive health?

Quote:(4) prevention of abortion and management of post-abortion complications;
I think we need other news to discuss.

But you guys probably don't want me to post my idea of news.

J.E_Magog Wrote:The statement only refers to the "uneducated".

Sort of. I was thinking more on how most people perceive American society as a whole.
AppleHead Wrote:I think we need other news to discuss.

But you guys probably don't want me to post my idea of news.

J.E_Magog Wrote:The statement only refers to the "uneducated".

Sort of. I was thinking more on how most people perceive American society as a whole.

Fire away with the news - surprise us LOL

Personally, I think Americans have the same problem as every other race: Expect to run into at least ten idiots for every intelligent, level-headed individual you find.

It's a fact of life for everybody, except that the U.S gets into the spotlight more since it's a superpower.

Remember: Stupid does not discriminate against creed, race, faith or geography.
Twin-Skies Wrote:Remember: Stupid does not discriminate against creed, race, faith or geography.

Nyahahaha LOL

Do tell us news of your liking Apple - if it gets too homoerotic we'll complain. Wink
Worrying "Humanae Vitae" by John Nery
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropin...anae-Vitae

In it, the author criticizes the encyclical which the church stance on contraception is based upon. I believe you would need to have at least a little background in theology to understand this piece fully. We UA&P grads were required to have it, (un?)fortunately.
Sforza Wrote:Worrying "Humanae Vitae" by John Nery
http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropin...anae-Vitae

In it, the author criticizes the encyclical which the church stance on contraception is based upon. I believe you would need to have at least a little background in theology to understand this piece fully. We UA&P grads were required to have it, (un?)fortunately.

UA&P is Opus Dei, right? Just asking.

I'm reading through part of Humanae Vitae at the moment:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/paul_v...ae_en.html

My initial critcisms:

The natural birth control method - I assume it means the "Rhythm method" - the letter calls for has been repeatedly proven by research to be unreliable. I picked this topic up back in college, and even the priest lecturing pointed it out. He did point out another natural means, though I forget what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_meth...ilure_rate

Section 17
Second - the letter assumes that resorting to artificial birth control will make people trivialize sex as a passtime for enjoyment rather than as a genuine act of love within a married couple.

To quote:

Quote:Not much experience is needed to be fully aware of human weakness and to understand that human beings—and especially the young, who are so exposed to temptation—need incentives to keep the moral law, and it is an evil thing to make it easy for them to break that law. Another effect that gives cause for alarm is that a man who grows accustomed to the use of contraceptive methods may forget the reverence due to a woman, and, disregarding her physical and emotional equilibrium, reduce her to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction of his own desires, no longer considering her as his partner whom he should surround with care and affection.

The problem is that people will still commit this sort of atrocity despite, not because, of contraceptives. Rapists come to mind, as do abusive spouses. What about the illegitimate kids that result from these unions? Specifically regarding our bishops: Since when did proper sex education become equated to teaching our youth more likely to break moral law? A law is best respected if it is understood.

Like it or not, the chuch has to understand that one element of a succesfuly marriage is a healthy sex life. There is a reason it's called consumating the union after all. To leave a couple to just abstinence and an utterly unreliable birth control system is just begging most marriages to break down.

Contrary to theological teachings you ask? Funny - I learned this point from a theology professor, who stressed a similar point how a healthy sex life is a habitual confirmation of the Sacrament of Matrimony. As he said : Sex is gutt!

Look for a professor Markus Locker if you're ever in ADMU. He's German, hence the accent.
I don't have a news link (And to lazy to find one) but I saw in the news that Christian Bale got arrested for beating up his mom.

Why, Batman, why?!? Sad
NiX Wrote:I don't have a news link (And to lazy to find one) but I saw in the news that Christian Bale got arrested for beating up his mom.

Why, Batman, why?!? Sad

He wasn't charged with anything though. Either he's a really violent man or someone wants to put him in a bad light. I'm quite sure he isn't doing this for any more publicity.

http://www.google.com.ph/search?client=f...+sa+Google