The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
lol where?
Actor cuts throat on Vienna stage...for real

Quote:Daniel Hoevels slumped to the floor with blood pouring from his neck during a performance at Vienna's Burgtheater.

He was rushed to hospital with a deep slice to his throat which fortunately missed his main artery.

Austrian police are investigating whether the incident was a mistake or a deliberate attack on the actor.

"If the actor had put a little more pressure on the knife or even struck an artery, he would probably have bled to death on the stage," a doctor who treated Mr Hoevels, 30, told the newspaper Oesterreich.

The real-life drama happened last weekend during a performance of Friedrich Schiller's play Mary Stuart, about Mary Queen of Scots.

Mr Hoevels's character was supposed to commit suicide and the actor used what he thought was a blunt prop weapon.

On the bright side...

Quote:The audience is said to have applauded what they thought was a stunning special effect, and only realised something was wrong when the actor staggered off stage to receive treatment.
Reminds me of what bald barcode-headed assassins would do.

20 Years in Prison for Buying a Manga (What the shit -_- )
Iraqi reporter throws shoe at Bush during press con

Quote:
White House Press Secretary Dana Perino was slightly bruised in the aftermath of the shoe-throwing melee at President Bush's news conference at the Prime Minister's Palace in Baghdad on Sunday, a senior administration official said.

But Perino will be fine and is continuing with the presidential party, the official said.

Perino was hit in the face with a microphone as security wrestled with the reporter, NBC News reported.

The White House transcript from the news conference labels the incident an "audience interruption."

President Bush said. "Okay, everybody calm down for a minute."

Then, indicating Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, the president continued: "First of all, thank you for apologizing on behalf of the Iraqi people. It doesn't bother me. And if you want some — if you want the facts, it's a size 10 shoe that he threw. (Laughter.) Thank you for your concern, do not worry about it."

The president then brushed off a question from a reporter who was asking about the greater meaning of the fracas.

I can imagine that the journalist was saying as he got carted off by Secret Service:

"I got your Show and Awe right here, motha[bleep]!" Chair
(12-15-2008, 09:16 AM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]Iraqi reporter throws shoe at Bush during press con

Quote:
White House Press Secretary Dana Perino was slightly bruised in the aftermath of the shoe-throwing melee at President Bush's news conference at the Prime Minister's Palace in Baghdad on Sunday, a senior administration official said.

But Perino will be fine and is continuing with the presidential party, the official said.

Perino was hit in the face with a microphone as security wrestled with the reporter, NBC News reported.

The White House transcript from the news conference labels the incident an "audience interruption."

Then, indicating Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, the president continued: "First of all, thank you for apologizing on behalf of the Iraqi people. It doesn't bother me. And if you want some — if you want the facts, it's a size 10 shoe that he threw. (Laughter.) Thank you for your concern, do not worry about it."

The president then brushed off a question from a reporter who was asking about the greater meaning of the fracas.

I can imagine that the journalist was saying as he got carted off by Secret Service:

This guy has some HUGE cojones. He went into the crowd, took off his shoes, threw them at the most powerful man in the world, and cursed him.
What if that guy has a gun.
(12-15-2008, 12:17 PM)J.E_Magog Wrote: [ -> ]What if that guy has a gun.

I find myself wishing that too Chair

Apparently in their culture, showing the heel of your shoe is considered offensive, while actually throwing it at your query is considered an even nastier insult.

What a waste - whatever happened to rotten eggs and vegetables?
(12-15-2008, 09:16 AM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]Iraqi reporter throws shoe at Bush during press con

Quote:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFldBVWFgWo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFldBVWFgWo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(12-15-2008, 08:32 PM)maitreya Wrote: [ -> ]

Quote:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFldBVWFgWo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vFldBVWFgWo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LOL - I remember that skit Clapping Very appropriate.

Immigrants mistaken for gay couple, beaten to death by homophobes

Quote:NEW YORK--An Ecuadorean immigrant viciously beaten by men who yelled anti-Hispanic and anti-gay slurs at him and his brother has died, nearly a week after the attack.

Jose Sucuzhanay died late Friday at Elmurst Hospital as his mother was en route from Ecuador to see him, spokesman Francisco Moya said. Sucuzhanay, a 31-year-old real estate broker, had been listed in critical condition since the assault early Dec. 7.

Police were searching for three suspects in the attack. The New York Police Department's hate crime task force is investigating what prosecutors have called an appalling eruption of bigotry.

Sucuzhanay (suh-KOO-chen-eye) and his brother Romel, 38, were walking arm-in-arm after a night out when a sport utility vehicle pulled up near them at a Brooklyn stoplight, police said.

Witnesses said they heard the men in the car shouting anti-gay and anti-Hispanic slurs at the brothers. The attackers jumped out of the car and smashed a beer bottle over Jose Sucuzhanay's head, hit him in the head with an aluminum baseball bat and kicked him, police said. Romel Sucuzhanay was able to get away; the attackers drove off after he returned and said he had called police, authorities said.

His mother, Julia Quintuna, obtained a humanitarian visa late this week to visit her injured son. She landed Saturday only to learn that he had died, Moya said.

The stupid...it burns!
Facepalm
(12-15-2008, 01:38 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2008, 12:17 PM)J.E_Magog Wrote: [ -> ]What if that guy has a gun.

I find myself wishing that too Chair

Apparently in their culture, showing the heel of your shoe is considered offensive, while actually throwing it at your query is considered an even nastier insult.

What a waste - whatever happened to rotten eggs and vegetables?

Using a gun's too easy - the guy chose to take the harder way out. He's probably taken the beating of his life right now, but he's humiliated and made W so small in the eyes of the world. Haha
Quote:Using a gun's too easy - the guy chose to take the harder way out. He's probably taken the beating of his life right now, but he's humiliated and made W so small in the eyes of the world. Haha

Exactly. Throwing the show wasn't going to result in any grave injuries to Bush, and the reporter who did this probably knew that too.

This is a protest more than anything, sorta like PETA throwing paint on a fur coat, or an angry fan booing at a singer they don't like.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/12/15...-head.html

Very very cool news!

It turns out that yawning is a mechanism to cool the brain! Kinda like how the fan kicks in when the CPU gets extra hot. Yes, that was a really geeky analogy.
(12-16-2008, 10:45 AM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/12/15...-head.html

Very very cool news!

It turns out that yawning is a mechanism to cool the brain! Kinda like how the fan kicks in when the CPU gets extra hot. Yes, that was a really geeky analogy.

So apparently I was yawning a lot in class because my mind was quite active... or I was having a bad day. Tongue
Police: pizza man's cheesy weapon foils a stickup

Quote:MIRAMAR, Fla. – Police say a pizza delivery man fought back with the one weapon he had handy when a gun was pulled on him in a stickup: A large, hot pepperoni pizza.

Delivery man Eric Lopez Devictoria, 40, flung the steaming pie at the gunman, buying time as he ran for safety, police said.

At least one shot was fired as Devictoria fled, but the deliveryman wasn't hurt and was able to quickly call police, according to authorities.

Three teenage suspects were nabbed soon after Wednesday's run-in with the cheesy weapon, police said, adding they were charged with armed robbery.

Somewhere in the sewers, four turtles are getting very, very hungry...
Purpose-Driven life author to deliver Obama invocation

Quote:Aretha Franklin and Dr. Rick Warren, an evangelical minister of the Saddleback Church, are among the select group of people who will participate in Barack Obama’s inaugural swearing-in ceremony on Jan. 20.

Mr. Obama has also chosen Elizabeth Alexander, an African-American poet at Yale University, and some of the world’s premier musicians, including Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma, to share the podium with him.

In honoring the civil rights movement, Mr. Obama has asked the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery, dean of the civil rights movement and co-founder with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, to deliver the benediction.

The inaugural program, which begins about 10 a.m. on the West Front of the Capitol, is an historic ritual that is both an intensely personal statement by the new president and a way for him to set the tone of his new administration.

Vomit

The only use I ever had for Warren's book was to prop up the short leg on my table. What a load of arrogant drivel