The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright I'm not clicking on that........ LOL
Those eyes. Palpatine!?
Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_o...-container

I think what the cleric meant to say was "Hot babes rock my world!"
I don't think this weapon deserves a thread of its own Roll eyes

Prompt Global Strike
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/world/...trike.html

"A new class of weapon capable of reaching any corner of the earth... all without crossing the nuclear threshold."
-The New York Times

The weapon would launch a projectile at hypersonic velocity, magnifying the destructive potential of its payload much like a railgun except for the fact that it requires an ICBM to start the launch sequence (Picture in New York Times link above).

This weapon would be a way to get around the "no first strike" principle of the Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine (as its warhead is assumed to be conventional), much like REX in MGS: Twin Snakes.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Metro simmers anew at 36.8 degrees Celsius

Quote:MANILA, Philippines—The temperature went up again in Metro Manila Thursday, which tied with Tuesday as the hottest day of the year so far in the metropolis.

The maximum temperature reached 36.8 degrees Celsius in Metro Manila, recorded at 2:05 p.m. at the weather bureau’s Science Garden in Diliman, Quezon City.

This was the same maximum temperature reading for Tuesday, said the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).

According to weather forecaster Romel Yutuc, the ridge of a high-pressure area is still causing warm and moist winds from the Pacific to blow into the country.

“There are hardly any clouds to block the sunlight. This also means there are no rains. Also, the month of April usually means hot weather,” Yutuc said.

He said the country can expect the same weather conditions well into the weekend.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnew...es-Celsius
go to baguio........................

herbs.
My office still hits 18-degrees. Sad
I guess i should be thankful then that my office station is situated under a cooling vent and that i'm outta the sun for the majority of the day's sunshiny hours.
My room reaches 37-38 degrees in the afternoon.
Wag ka na mag fan, mas mainit pa yung singaw ng hangin sa inuupuan mo LOL
Banned music vid in the US.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment...m-i-a-clip
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCuUUvlhh2c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCuUUvlhh2c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
I watched the video. I didn't really get what point it was trying to get across. To me it just came off as showing violence for the sake of showing it, which is probably just as bad as censoring for the sake of censoring.
Quote:Attacker Stabs 28 Chinese Children

BEIJING — An unemployed man entered a kindergarten in eastern China’s Jiangsu Province on Thursday morning and stabbed 28 kindergarten students and three adults, critically injuring at least five children, local authorities and state news agencies reported.

Local residents at the entrance of a kindergarten in Taixing, Jiangsu, where a knife attack occurred Thursday.
It was the second mass stabbing of young students in two days, and the third in less than a month.

Many of the injured children were just four years old and shared the same classroom, according to initial reports by the state-run Xinhua news agency. The adult victims included two teachers and a security guard.

Police officers identified the assailant as Xu Yuyuan, a 47-year-old former insurance agent. According to Xinhua, he began attacking children with a knife about eight inches long at about 9 a.m. at the Zhongxin Kindergarten, a middle-class school in Taixing, about 570 miles southeast of Beijing.

Little other information was immediately available. Taixing propaganda officials did not respond to telephone calls.

Thursday’s attack occurred a day after a 33-year-old man in neighboring Shandong Province stabbed 15 fourth-and fifth-graders at a primary school in Leizhou city. None of those students was seriously wounded. Authorities said that attacker, identified as Chen Kangbing, had taught at nearby school but had been on leave since 2006, apparently because of mental illness.

On March 23, Zheng Minsheng, 42, stabbed eight primary school students to death in Fujian Province, also on China’s east coast, as they waited with parents for classes to begin. Some Chinese press reports stated that Mr. Zheng also had mental problems.

Those murders created a nationwide sensation, stirring calls for a school safety crackdown. Mr. Zheng was executed on Wednesday after what one legal expert, the former Peking University law professor and civil rights advocate He Weifang, said was an unusually speedy trial.

There was no immediate explanation as to why the three attackers chose young students as their targets. While assaults in schools are not particularly common, an eerily similar series of five knife attacks took place in August and September 2004 in schools and a child-care center. Three of the attacks occurred on China’s Pacific east coast, including assaults in Guangdong and Shandong, where two of the recent stabbing sprees unfolded.

In February 2008, two students at another Leizhou school were stabbed to death by a former student who then killed himself by jumping off the school building.

In the current string of knifings, “probably there was some kind of copycat element,” Liu Jianqing, a professor of criminal psychology at the China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing, said in a telephone interview on Thursday. “People in similar predicaments emulate this because of the impact of the mass media these days.”

The assaults likely were also acts of self-destruction by the attackers, he said, because such crimes stand a high chance of drawing a death sentence in Chinese courts.

Beyond mental illness, some experts like Mr. He said that rising strains in China’s fast-changing society may have a role in the growing number of violent crimes. Most of the school assaults have occurred on the developed, urban east coast, where both the cost of living and income inequality are high.

The man executed on Wednesday, Mr. Zheng, wanted revenge on “rich” and “powerful officials” in Nanping, where he lived, Xinhua quoted his neighbors as saying in a recent lengthy article about the murders.

He selected the primary school where the slayings took place because it was the city’s finest, the article stated.
Knife nut goes crazy in kindergarten class, twenty-eight kids slashed - http://ph.news.yahoo.com/ap/20100430/tap...10fb8.html