The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
lol wonder what scandals would pop up due to boobs washed away to distant shores XD
Missing atheist sign found in Washington state

Quote:By Mallory Simon
CNN

(CNN) -- An atheist sign criticizing Christianity that was erected alongside a Nativity scene was taken from the Legislative Building in Olympia, Washington, on Friday and later found in a ditch.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation had a placard up in the Legislative Building in Olympia, Washington.

1 of 2 An employee from country radio station KMPS-FM in Seattle told CNN the sign was dropped off at the station by someone who found it in a ditch.

"I thought it would be safe," Freedom From Religion Foundation co-founder Annie Laurie Gaylor told CNN earlier Friday. "It's always a shock when your sign is censored or stolen or mutilated. It's not something you get used to."

The sign, which celebrates the winter solstice, has had some residents and Christian organizations calling atheists Scrooges because they said it was attacking the celebration of Jesus Christ's birth.

"Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds," the sign from the Freedom From Religion Foundation says in part.

The sign, which was at the Legislative Building at 6:30 a.m. PT, was gone by 7:30 a.m., Gaylor said.

The incident will not stifle the group's message, Gaylor said. Before reports of the placard's recovery, she said a temporary sign with the same message would be placed in the building's Rotunda. Gaylor said a note would be attached saying, "Thou shalt not steal."

"I guess they don't follow their own commandments," Gaylor said. "There's nothing out there with the atheist point of view, and now there is such a firestorm that we have the audacity to exist. And then [whoever took the sign] stifles our speech."

Gaylor said that police are checking security cameras pointed at the building's entrances and exits to see if they can see anyone stealing the sign.

"It's probably about 50 pounds, " Gaylor said. "My brother-in-law was huffing and puffing carrying it up the stairs. It's definitely not something you can stick under your arm or conceal."

The Washington State Patrol, which is handling the incident, could not be reached for comment.

Dan Barker, a former evangelical preacher and co-founder of the group, said it was important for atheists to see their viewpoints validated alongside everyone else's.

Barker said the display is especially important given that 25 percent of Washington state residents are unaffiliated with religion or do not believe in God. (A recent survey by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life found 23 percent of Washingtonians said they were unaffiliated with a religion and 7 percent said they didn't believe in God.)

So much for freedom of speech Facepalm

I'm siding with the atheists on this one - they have as much rights as everybody else to profess their beliefs.

Fuck overly sensitive religious zealots - they're due for a rude awakening!
The fact that the atheists put up a sign like that in front of a nativity scene, and then point out that Christians don't follow their own commandments when it gets taken down, seems to shout "trolling" to me.

But then, they do have just as much right as anyone to do that.

Can't we all just get along?
(12-08-2008, 01:48 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that the atheists put up a sign like that in front of a nativity scene, and then point out that Christians don't follow their own commandments when it gets taken down, seems to shout "trolling" to me.

But then, they do have just as much right as anyone to do that.

Can't we all just get along?

The spot where the atheist's plague was set up isn't religiously exclusive - any faith is allowed to put up their corresponding decorations for the holidays. While I don't exactly agree with atheists on all issues, I strongly believe that they have as much right was we do to free speech.

That includes the right to protection from persecution, such as having their sign stolen.

"Maturity isn't so much about seeing each other eye to eye, but more about being able to work arm in arm."
(12-08-2008, 03:42 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]"Maturity isn't so much about seeing each other eye to eye, but more about being able to work arm in arm."

Point taken. But what they did isn't mature in my eyes. It's disrespectful to those who do believe. It's like saying to your atheist friends that they're downright stupid - it's hurtful, and it's not proven to be true. I know I wouldn't do that to some of the people I know.

People of faith also have a right to be protected from having their religion called mere superstition - they have to decide for that themselves.

Which brings us back to square one. Facepalm
I think the sign was put up with the Atheist's perception of religion, where religion can bread religious fundamentalism. Which leads to all sorts of things like zeal blinding reason and such. The problem with some people is they believe their fate is that of absolute truth, which can lead to intolerance due to the perception of other religions being flawed. The Opus Dei for example teaches such things, like saying Islam is a flawed faith. I can drop names, but I choose not to (priests from UA&P who said those things), such intolerance for others on the basis of belief disgust me, but do note that I specifically said individuals, and never pointed out a group of people, as religion can bring about the best and worst in someone, the same goes with Atheists, Agnostics, and others. Being evil, like being stupid, does not choose any race, nationality, religion, economic class, or belief.

Anyway, whether you believe in religion or not at all, so as long as it can bring out the best in you without impeding others, then good for you. We can all work arm in arm with each other, no mater what background each individual comes from... Like here in RR, which gives me faith in humanity that one day humanity may live in harmony with each other.

I'd like to think that we're all wrong some day though, and that there might have been a god but never the one we ever thought of or imagined, no mater how ridiculous or absurd he/she/it may be...

She's the hottest girl ever and likes playing video games especially Armored Core, and turns out to be a gender bent version of an RR member Big grin. I will shit my pants and start believing if it was true.

On a side note:

I think the appropriate response by religious people to Atheists if ever they want to do the same sort of thing if there was an Atheist convention, is to put up a sign saying "Your lack of faith will lead to your eternal damnation in hell" but I doubt atheist will be offended by such.
I'm an atheist....and i would have to say that I have taken a lot of flak from the more...let's say, overly devout...

Agree to above post.
This to me is simply an attack rather than a message it boils down to the lack of respect in both sides the atheist's lack of respect for 'personal space" and the inappropriate response of the people who stole the article. An eye for an eye method is not something that should be adhered to as it turns thing into a nasty repeating cycle.

Too each there own nothing wrong in saying your own message but do so in your own domain outright slap in the face methods is nothing more than an invasion to me ... yes it may seems necessary at times but its like punishing someone you won't normally get the results you want.

We are all humans all the same and all different.
Vatican attacked for opposing gay decriminalisation

Quote:The row erupted after the Vatican's permanent observer to the United Nations told a French Catholic news agency the Holy See would oppose the resolution, which France is due to propose later this month on behalf of the 27-member European Union.

Archbishop Celestino Migliore said the Vatican opposed the resolution because it would "add new categories of those protected from discrimination" and could lead to reverse discrimination against traditional heterosexual marriage.

"If adopted, they would create new and implacable discriminations," Migliore said. "For example, states which do not recognise same-sex unions as 'matrimony' will be pilloried and made an object of pressure," Migliore said.

A strongly worded editorial in Italy's mainstream La Stampa newspaper said the Vatican's reasoning was "grotesque."

Pointing out that homosexuality was still punishable by death in some Islamic countries, the editorial said what the Vatican really feared was a "chain reaction in favour of legally recognised homosexual unions in countries, like Italy, where there is currently no legislation."

Franco Grillini, founder and honorary president of Arcigay, Italy's leading gay rights group, said the Vatican's reasoning smacked of "total idiocy and madness."

"The French resolution, which is supported by all 27 members of the European Union, has nothing to do with gay marriage. It is about stopping jail and the death penalty for homosexuals," Grillini told Reuters

...And the Vatican wonders why they're losing so many followers with each passing year. You know it's bad when even Catholics start calling out the leaders on their bullshit.

Honestly, the Vatican's biggest issue has always been its major disconnect with how the world works.
(12-05-2008, 01:18 AM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]...Speaking of breasts, here's something really interesting.

This too.

"Man boob" operations on the increase. One of the UK's top doctors says he's seen a big rise in the number of men having breast reduction surgery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health...757929.stm
probably has to do with the retailing of man bras LOL
Green activist single-handedly reduces UK's carbon emissions by 2%

Quote:The £12m defences of the most heavily guarded power station in Britain have been breached by a single person who, under the eyes of CCTV cameras, climbed two three-metre (10ft) razor-wired, electrified security fences, walked into the station and crashed a giant 500MW turbine before leaving a calling card reading "no new coal". He walked out the same way and hopped back over the fence.

All power from the coal and oil-powered Kingsnorth station in Kent was halted for four hours, in which time it is thought the mystery saboteur's actions reduced UK climate change emissions by 2%. Enough electricity to power a city the size of Bristol was lost.

Yesterday the hunt was on for the man dubbed "climate man" or the "green Banksy". Climate activists responsible for hijacking coal trains and breaking on to runways said they knew nothing about the incident.

Captain Planet, is that you? Wtf
(12-11-2008, 03:06 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]Green activist single-handedly reduces UK's carbon emissions by 2%

Once again, I find this crime completely awesome.
I second that motion We're not worthy
(12-11-2008, 04:53 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2008, 03:06 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: [ -> ]Green activist single-handedly reduces UK's carbon emissions by 2%

Once again, I find this crime completely awesome.

So... Anyone here want to try that?