The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
^More details on that video:
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/05/wik...backg.html

And apparently, one of the commenters said this insightful post:

Quote:Ahem. As a Marine myself, and an enlisted veteran, I'd like to point out a few things to all the knee-jerk anti-military types floating about.

First of all, you are correct in saying that war requires a certain type of desensitization. It is, in many respects, a terrible thing. Killing has an awful effect on the human psyche, as does any program designed to reduce or delay this effect.

But war-- killing other real people with real guns-- is a necessary evil if good people or (is such a thing possible?) good nation-states are to survive. There will always be someone, barring a truly effective world government, that can and will decide to take what is not rightfully theirs through military means.

Either they can be stopped, or you and what you love can die. And often to be stopped, they must be killed. Someone has to do it. It's an awful job. But there is honor in doing it. Killing is evil, but that does not mean that all people that do it are evil. (There's a philosophical point to be made here about evil acts, evil people, and necessary evils-- but I've not the time.)

I don't defend the people portrayed in this video. I don't know anything about the situation, and neither do you. I don't know enough to prosecute or defend them in the moral sense; nor do I have an idea how much bravado is sadism and how much is something much sadder and maybe necessary to do what they do.

Tangentially, military people don't choose their own wars, nor often their own targets. (In the sense of those who actually pull the trigger.) Your democratic government does. Both political parties do. Your Congress does.

And that is a fundamental fact and blessing of democracy. Military dictatorships-- without the serious divide between military and political authority-- tend to be...well, you know what they tend to be.

But to protect against it, you remove from your military men and women the freedom of choice. They enlist under a contract, which is negated only if they object to all wars, to defend their nation as their President and Congress see fit. So if you're going to hate and lament, do it for the political types who don't have to bleed or watch those they love do so. They're the ones who get you in these messes, these wars of agression.

The rest of us are just down on the ground trying to do the right thing. Be patriots. Be good to all those we can be-- that includes foreign nationals like Iraqis. But we have a hard job and it's not always clear what's right and what's wrong.

...Solid Snake, is that you? Shades
Typical American we-are-the-police-of-the-world philosophy.
^
I dunno man. I used to talk with several enlisted in a video gamer's forum in my old job, and I get the impression a lot of them are decent folk and not the sadistic killers news like this makes them out to be. I'd prefer to get more info on this incident rather than pass judgement on the whole lot of them.
No I'm not saying they're indecent and inhuman. I'm just saying that they truly believe deep in their hearts that it is their cause and only theirs that is just. Isn't that why they're in Iraq in the first place?

EDIT: I'm not singling out the soldiers in the vid. Just saying that the general American mindset towards war and true "justice" and "freedom" has become pretty twisted.
ah Americans....

Escape to Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqs6YgugQ7M

not all americans are sheep just like in every country, too bad their government is too big military wise. =/
just think of the expense of NOT MOVING an aircraft carrier...how many do they have again? =O
----------------------------------------------
i've posted about this before but what the hey. =D
California Could Legalize Pot in November
If Approved, Ballot Initiative Would Allow Adults Over 21 to Possess Up to an Ounce for Recreational Purposes
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/2...1419.shtml
----------------------------------------------
If that happens...........LOL CANADA...<< wait and see tactic, scared of BIG AMERICAN DRUG LAW =/

Seriously, if weed gets legalized, i will go to California right away, this is something of a big change, especially in culture. Societies revolve around "approved" mind altering substances/food *coffee, alcohol. sugar*. Allowing the HERB to grow freely along with its culture is something i would definitely want to be a part of. California! ~~ DO IT!!!!~~
(04-06-2010, 04:20 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]Just saying that the general American mindset towards war and true "justice" and "freedom" has become pretty twisted.

Once again, it depends on who you're talking to. Save for several right-wingnut trolls and pundits, most of the blogs I have visited have commenters who are thoroughly convinced that America had no business being in Iraq.

Moreso the soldiers there.
Yes, some citizens may indeed know better. But the bottom line is that their democracy still allowed such a thing to happen. And they continue to spew propaganda to justify their cause.
Interestingly, I just watched Green Zone last night, and it's about the very reason the US went to war in the first place (to remove Saddam), but acting under the guise of something else (finding the WMDs).

I like the line this Iraqi character said to Matt Damon at the end.

"It's not up to you to decide what happens here."
(04-04-2010, 11:11 AM)Fox Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is a joke given the date but:

Comedian and TV host disses Pacquiao and his country - http://www.examiner.com/x-21442-Sacramen...-Filipinos

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOSqFWwdtAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOSqFWwdtAE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Old news by now. But still relevant.

http://antipinoy.com/thank-you-adam-caro...filipinos/

Lots of other Adam Carolla articles there recently.

Like I said before: I can't really disagree with him.
Admittedly, some of his comments did hit home and reeked of honesty. The truth does hurt at times.

And we just proved how the majority of the population does deserve those biting comments.
Read this, then: "Being Filipino is just an unfortunate circumstance"

EDIT: Anyway, the dude already said sorry. Even though he shouldn't have.
If our country was so great we wouldn't have so many OFWs trying to make a living overseas. Pati yung 300 years of spanish RAEP pinagmalaki pa.

FacepalmFacepalmFacepalm
[Image: niggawannabefag.jpg]
Doctor now offers height surgery for vertically-challenged people.

Hell no. Even though i'm quite pissed that i stopped growing once i entered college, i would never be willing to undergo this procedure. Not being able to walk properly for a little over a year is something i don't think i can handle.
Aussies safer in a strip club than a church, figures show

Apparently, you're less likely to get assaulted in a strip club than if you are seeking sanctuary in a church.

Moral of the Story: If Esmeralda wanted to escape Frollo, maybe she'd have better luck hiding at the local brothel.