The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Dark Souls (aka Project Dark)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
(10-16-2011, 07:31 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-15-2011, 05:31 PM)Zefyr Wrote: [ -> ]Generally Lightning Weapons do more damage than weapons that scale, but I'm not sure how effective it is at the higher levels, if people do go there. I generally like my Zweihander more than my Lifehunt Scythe or my Demon Spear because I can oneshot most mobs with it with the Jump attack, while using light armor to roll when necessary. Though once I get my strength high enough I might try fooling around with the Dragon Tooth, or any other bigger weapons out there. Spears were my first love, but their damage is so outclassed I just use it for novelty purposes now o3o

Given a choice of say a 360 damage weapon that does split 180/180 physical and lightning, and a 360 damage weapon that does all physical, I'd go for the all physical one. This is because the damage split of the 360 weapon goes through two different defense barriers, one for lighting and another for physical, while the all physical weapon just goes through one defense barrier. Assuming a similar damage rating, the one with a single damage type will end up doing more damage in the end because it's passing only through one defense barrier.

I think that's true for some cases, but there aren't many defenses against Lightning Damage, and if your target's got high physical Def, i.e. heavy armor, the split in two damage types will be useful, and if they're relatively defenseless against both damage types, the better, methinks @_@

Also, another benefit to Lightning enchanted weapons is that they go through enemy guard, given that the enemy doesn't have a shield raised with Lightning Resistance (Normal enemies usually don't, so far the only ones I've seen with anything like that are the towering Golden Knights of Anor Londo, which nullifies any and all damage if it so much as grazes their giant shields, while Player Shields usually don't have 100% Lightning defense unless upgraded)
Sadly no, lighting defense is typically around 2/3 to almost equal (but never exactly equal) as physical defense which is still pretty significant. Say again 200 physical atk sword and a 100/100 physical and lighting/fire/magic atk sword. Your opponent has 50 physical and 30 lightning/fire/magic defense.

The 100/100 atk weapon is like going through 80 defense points compared to the 50 that the 200 atk physical attack sword is going through. Which one will do more damage then?

Remember, all enemies will have resistances to all damage types. So it is best to focus on just one damage type if you're planning on breaking through defenses and deal high damage, single blow attacks. That's exactly the reason why OHKOs were possible in Demon's Souls because of the Curse Weapon skill which gives 50% bonus to physical attacks and ignores other defenses besides the base physical.

This is possibly the same reason why they took out Sharp and Crushing weapons (There are no "S" bonuses and only 3 weapons give "A" strength bonuses in DkS, I'm not sure wth Dex weapons though except for the bows) which give enormous damage bonuses to physical attacks, it just becomes too powerful to deal one damage type when it's too high because it only passes through one defense barrier.

I'm talking about PvP though, PvE will be a different story Tongue
I've seen someone hit using a Lightning Zwei in Anor Londo. Non lightning-resistant enemies received around 900-1k damage per hit (those bloody assassins). My controller's R1 button sort of jerked off and suddenly made my character attack the second time and fall off the ceiling though, so I never saw how it'd fare against the giant ones. Prolly just had his lightning damage bonus nullified.

Also currently at the Duke Archives btw. I want to get that repeater crossbow asap, but the second elevator keeps leading me to Seath though; I don't really know how to get to the rotating staircase so I can jump the fuck off and get the crossbow!

Not before landing dead more than 5-10 times due to miscalculations. I might hire an Indian dude to help me with all the measurements and other related crap. LOL
I was talking about PvE XD Will not step into the realm of PvP anytime soon~

And yeah, Lightning Zwei + 5 will screw monsters over. Killed Seath with it a few moments ago (mine's still +3 only though. Le sigh~), but I didn't manage to cut his tail off. I think I was cutting too far from the tip ._.

I've found love for my Demon Spear again. The Zwei's too slow for me sometimes, and I miss that windup animation it does for the strong attack. Enemies love running into it XD

Still looking for that Partisan @_@

Also, raised my Chaos Servant Covenant to + 2 so I can farm Demon Titanites from that headless guy on the bridge in Lost Izalith~

AND THE CATACOMBS. I HATE IT FOREVER AND EVER D:<
(10-16-2011, 09:47 PM)Zefyr Wrote: [ -> ]Still looking for that Partisan @_@

It's in the darkroot garden, right after you enter the area with the sleeping giants, turn left and just follow the wall it will lead you to a dead body corpse guarded by a snake.

Some black phantom pulling off that infinity glitch but instead of using souls he uses throwing knives it seems.
Finally got the Avelyn after a few attempts. The first one was just pure fail. The second one - I was able to open the chest and then die when two arrows came from behind from those blood-raging crystal faggots, and then had a few failed timing issues (one time was falling off with a Darkmoon player LOL) before I was able to grab the weapon on top of the bookshelf.

Also recently made my own Lightning Zweihander, although +1 only so far but I'm seeing results with this weapon already. A bit too slow though. Will prolly just use it for plunging attacks at the moment. Not to mention I might use it for PvP in the meantime, then replace the BK sword altogether if I can get the Zwei beyond +3 or +4; I'm short on Titanite Chunks. I've also heard about Balder Knights from New Londo Ruins having a common drop of them chunks, but I haven't touched that place since the moment they (ghosts) surrounded me via no clipping. Haven't gone to farming for transient curses against them either.

Still currently around SL60 because I don't want to level up. From what I know, most of the players are either 60 or 90. I'll probably move to SL 90 on NG+.

Edit: Added something; the bolded word in post
8+ hrs in only lvl 22 *sob*

lost 7 points of humanity to idoicy
lost 30k souls to idiocy (in total)

fucking hate those blow darting bastards in blighttown (not to mention the visibility in the area is shitty )

and how da hell do you (not by glitch) kill that red drake at the bridge I keep sniping him from under the bridge but he just keeps licking himself to regenerate by any chance does he stop doing this (can only heal a number of times?)

currently using a +5 halberd, dragon shield, +5 longbow and some red robe I got from blight town

and how the hell do you kill that multi karawasa spitting hydra on the area with those crystal golems (it is darkwood something ... forgot) can you actually get near it? cus the only safe spot for sniping imo is the cliffside to the left and that only works barely

syet I so wish I could get help from you guys XD
Without glitching, I don't know how the other people did it, because in mine it kept healing itself ._.

Moar things to add to my weapon rack: Dragon Greatsword, Shoryuken Fist, a.k.a. Dragonbone Fist (You guys have to try this against the guys in Darkroot Garden. Not the fastest way to kill something, but wathing them fly around is hilarious XD) and of course the Partisan (thanks for the directions. Can't believe I missed that ._.)

Am now SL 92 on my first playthrough, mainly because I wanted to make my Endurance and Strength 40 already so I could wear Light Armor with the bigger, hard hitting weapons. Rocking Smough's Hammer + 5 while still being able to be under 50% weight (So now I don't really regret not killing Smough first, haha). Fast with a bigass hammer XD

Next on my list: New Londo Ruins and TheCatacombsasdfghjkl. Didn't know my Silver Knight Spear had Divine damage on it, so I'll prolly be using that for the Catacombs... now I kind of wish I kept the Sunlight Maggot Helmet. Would probably help me in the Catacombs more than that Lantern ._.

Also, I've noticed what Lord L meant about the damage barrier things. Smough's 590+ damage rating does more damage on some occasions than the 630+ damage rating of my Zwei. In summary, experimentation is fuuuuun XD

Side Note: Found this on DevArt, but I forgot where >_< http://dc403.4shared.com/img/Hdyw-UuJ/s7...sign_f.jpg
Graaah. I'm short on Twinkling Titanites. I'll probably go after Mr. Seath now so I can prolly either access Crystal Caves or just head to Great Hollow afterwards.
(10-17-2011, 11:49 PM)clonezero Wrote: [ -> ]and how da hell do you (not by glitch) kill that red drake at the bridge I keep sniping him from under the bridge but he just keeps licking himself to regenerate by any chance does he stop doing this (can only heal a number of times?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1drXzKQnuiM
This guy was able to do get the sword and kill it with arrows. I tried this technique but he wouldn't die so I had to resort to the glitch. I remember someone mentioned firing 400 or so arrows and he wouldnt die.

Killed with +3 Zwei but got 5000 souls and he's level 41 btw

-----------------------------------------------

00:00-01:35 the face haha
another question where do you find the bow that fires spears?

the dragon hunting bow or something.
@ Raffy:

You'll have to get a lot of souls if you're planning on using that weapon more frequently than it should though. You can only use the bow with Dragonslayer arrows, which costs about 500 souls per piece. Won't be much of a problem with all the various farming methods out there though, but you're better off just spending most of your souls on a better investment first (upgrading and leveling up).
Quote:and how the hell do you kill that multi karawasa spitting hydra on the area with those crystal golems (it is darkwood something ... forgot) can you actually get near it? cus the only safe spot for sniping imo is the cliffside to the left and that only works barely

You can kill it with melee. This is what I did:

Equip the rusty iron ring - you'll be running in water

After I killed off the golems (Lure them near the shots), I duck in between the rocks and trees surrounding the hydra when it fired - don't stick too close to the obstacles because the splash damage from the spit can still hit you.

As you make your way closer, look look for a rock with a tree in front of it - it's the closest cover to the hydra. After its next shot, sprint in front of it, but DON'T get too close - there's a cliff right before the area where the hydra is. Just straddle the edge of the cliff, and you should be out of range of the hydra's spit.

You'll know it's working when the hydra starts attacking you with its heads. Block them when they strike - they're pretty weak - and attack them before they can retract. They'll come off one by one, so this fight gets a lot easier after the first few exchanges.

Got it on my first try, but I almost fudged the first phase.

Spent last night farming my heart out in the Depths for Humanities. Ended up saving a lot of souls too - currently switching between a +5 Zwei, +5 Halberd, and a +5 Winged Spear Big grin
Ah, the Hydra. I haven't tried killing it yet. Got too busy ever since I set foot in Anor Londo. I'm liking the Zwei's moveset so far. While I don't really use its normal (R1) attacks, the R2 has enough range to poke some incoming people and monsters (not to mention that it knocks certain enemies off the ground). Good for plunging attacks too, I guess.

Been killing Seath for hours as a phantom. Don't want to try it yet alone though. I can't store my Humanity elsewhere.

And then you can get invaded even while resting at a bonfire; your character just stands up, unable to use the bonfire, your whitestone disappears, and then you'll hear that phantom summoned sfx after a few seconds. Happened to me in Duke's Archives, third bonfire.

I've always been AFKing in Duke's Archive at the third bonfire while in human form. Thank goodness I went back in front of my monitor when I saw my character automatically stand up, and you know the rest.

Or I'd end up getting robbed of all the souls I've been gaining from boss fights. LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18