The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: StarCraft II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(06-03-2009, 07:07 PM)maitreya Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2009, 02:09 PM)Hempire Wrote: [ -> ]isn't bnet always free? i've played w3 bnet and i miss it! I'm more of micro than macro management. I'll give SC2 a try....maybe years from now.

There were rumors that bnet might not be free for SC2.

oh wow, as if they don't have enough money already from wow...also, isn't the game like 3 SEPARATE CDS for each race? Sure i love the quality of blizzard games but if they make bnet annual or monthly subscription.... (-____-)

either way i'll probably be able to play the game, pirated of course! ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
(06-03-2009, 02:37 PM)atdsutm Wrote: [ -> ]everybody is more micro than macro.

LOL that's so not true for SC players. It's macro or die. I don't care if you have Boxer micro but noob macro. I'll just steamroll you with hoards and hoards of units from 3 bases.

I play more macro than micro. Of course I micro when I can, but I simply don't have the multitask to maximize both micro and macro. Hence, I prioritize macro but micro when I really need to or can afford to.

And Hemp, expansions are so much more important in SC than in WC3. The furthest that a WC3 game would go is with 1 expansion and maybe 2 for Humans.

It's not to say that micro isn't rewarded in SC. It's just that the macro and multitask aspects are what have truly separated SC from any other RTS.

One thing that's really delaying SC2 is how to keep players busy macroing while still keeping the "easy mode" features introduced in WC3.
(06-03-2009, 10:41 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]

LOL that's so not true for SC players. It's macro or die. I don't care if you have Boxer micro but noob macro. I'll just steamroll you with hoards and hoards of units from 3 bases.

I play more macro than micro. Of course I micro when I can, but I simply don't have the multitask to maximize both micro and macro. Hence, I prioritize macro but micro when I really need to or can afford to.

And Hemp, expansions are so much more important in SC than in WC3. The furthest that a WC3 game would go is with 1 expansion and maybe 2 for Humans.

It's not to say that micro isn't rewarded in SC. It's just that the macro and multitask aspects are what have truly separated SC from any other RTS.

One thing that's really delaying SC2 is how to keep players busy macroing while still keeping the "easy mode" features introduced in WC3.

what the easy mode features? the group management?

well a long time ago when i was playing sc i was really pissed at how units in a group cast/use a skill when you only meant to use 1...like grouping templars and ooops they all psystorm when you only want one to cast...they solved that in wc3.
(06-03-2009, 11:02 PM)Hempire Wrote: [ -> ]what the easy mode features? the group management?

well a long time ago when i was playing sc i was really pissed at how units in a group cast/use a skill when you only meant to use 1...like grouping templars and ooops they all psystorm when you only want one to cast...they solved that in wc3.

Yup, easy mode features such as that. And multiple building selection, auto-mining(?), etc. But what they don't want to happen is that base management becomes automated.
(06-03-2009, 10:41 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]

I was just saying that most people are "micro" type than macro, here. its easier to "micro" than macro.

since micro = fun action, macro = boring tedious work.

Its just that the trend of RTS is "micro", good example is DOW2 with almost zero macro.

i hope starcraft 2 comes out differently, and the metagame will end up very sensitive to the person's macro skill.
I happen to find macroing and multitasking in general really fun. Multitask, btw, is the act of balancing your actions between microing and macroing.

Hemp, the easy-mode stuff in WC3 that I'm referring to are smart casting, multiple building selection, idle worker prompts, unlimited unit selection, etc. I'm not against UI progress, but these things that make the game "easier" should be balanced out with other features to make the game more challenging.

One of the reasons that SC:BW is still very much alive today is that the skill ceiling is almost unlimited. Consider how 1st-generation professional gamers stand no chance against current-generation pros.

WC3, on the other hand, has almost stayed the same throughout its life as an e-sport.
i like wc3 more since it has magic, herbs and all that...seriously, i like it because of the heroes and items. my experience with sc was people usually rush or defend. I'm more of a 'defend rush player' and being as such my game style is stay in base tech up...however in wc3 you will die if you do that, you have to level your hero, well in most cases.

Since SC2 has no heroes, *good thing they did that*...what interests me more is the terrain navigation and unit maneuvering. Unfortunately my desktop is shitty and judging from the specs i don't think it will run even at the lowest setting. I think i may need to purchase a laptop sometime in the future just for sc2...
(06-04-2009, 11:45 AM)Hempire Wrote: [ -> ]I think i may need to purchase a laptop sometime in the future just for sc2...

It might be worth it. It's like buying a good book, or investing for the future. Domo
SC is more than just rush and defend. Try watching some korean pro VODs on youtube. The game's turned into something else entirely.

I played WC3 competitively for a while too, but it stagnated pretty quickly.
actually comparing SCBW and WC3FT
id say SCBW is 60% Marco 40% Micro
while WC3FT is 10% Macro and 90% Micro
but that doesnt mean that Micro skill requirements are less in SCBW than that in WC3FT. Think of that ratio as how a players attention is balanced in the game. In fact I believe that SCBW players still have higher APMs than WC3 players

like hemp, i really prefer the look and feel of the warcraft universe. The whole thing with knights, elves orcs and all.

But ask yourself why is starcraft still so much bigger in the pro scene compared to warcraft3. Trust me when i say iba talaga ang mechanics ng SCBW. Nix and I played both games in depthly, yeah he is much better than me coz he had years worth of a head start sa SCBW but weve gotten to play alot of both games and nakita talaga namin ang difference.

I dont think WC3 is a lesser game, coz its really good, but in terms of RTS, SCBW is incontestable.

Try learning SCBW. watch VODS, nix can hook you up with good ones. Once you get over the whole items and heroes thing, you will see why.
I believe atsdutm is active, try playing against him. Or even me when i find time to play on garena. enjoy yan
I think one of the bigger factors about SCBW vs WC3 is how the balance is made out.

By ver 1.15 SCBW is already considered really balanced. WC3 in the other hand has balance problems (one of the bigger issues I believe was the presence of heroes and tavern heroes)
Lazomaniac puts up a video of what could be the most cruel fact in Starcraft 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS5D0HKG...r_embedded
he must have hated terrans so much
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16