The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: General Fitness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Courtesy of the -nice- guys at 4chan. ZOMFG. Fear

[Image: -fit--HealthFitness_1209963873156.png]

Do you have any other tips on staying fit and healthy?
Post relevant links too, if you want to.

I will take the opportunity to pimp Billy Blanks.
http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=billy+blanks

Survive the advanced workout for more than 15 minutes, and you know you're fit.

edit: If you have questions on doing weights, getting muscle definition, etc., you can ask them here too LOL
You'll probably get good answers.
In the spirit of our aim to get more females to join RR LOL

...Here's the workout test used by the actors of 300 after months of training.

* 25 pull-ups
* 50 deadlifts at 135 pounds
* 50 push-ups
* 50 box jumps with a 24-inch box
* 50 "floor wipers" (a core and shoulders exercise at 135 pounds)
* 50 "clean and press" at 36 pounds (a weight-lifting exercise)
* 25 more pull-ups -- for a total of 300 reps

There's no rest between movements and the score is based on total time. You pass if you don't die while doing it. From here, btw.

Other useful links:

- 7 most effective exercises.
- 5 things happy people do.
WTF is this?!

Hahah I actually had around 2 months of being a hardcore fitness buff. And then I gave up. XD

Oh and people, don't get too obsessed doing crunches to get abs. The secret to having defined abs is actually just having a low percentage of body fat. Although crunches do strengthen your stomach muscles and help support your lower back.
WTF indeed xD

We already have almost every single mainstream interest covered on general discussion I thought, so why not going to the gym too LOL

Besides, I think an overwhelming majority of RR members spend their days seated on their butts and not doing much else. Mix is probably our only member that's in good shape. Can't hurt (figuratively, because expect the cramps) to move once in a while.
NiX Wrote:WTF is this?!

Hahah I actually had around 2 months of being a hardcore fitness buff. And then I gave up. XD

Oh and people, don't get too obsessed doing crunches to get abs. The secret to having defined abs is actually just having a low percentage of body fat. Although crunches do strengthen your stomach muscles and help support your lower back.

Daily crunches and leg raises help build up your abdominals and lower back - your "core" muscles. They're essential for maintaining posture and, from my experience, transferring the energy from your legs and hips in into your arms during a punch, or vice-versa

Also remember to stretch BEFORE you training regiment - flexible, relaxed limbs are just as important as strong muscles. You'd be surprised how many people end up being in the hospital due to sprained muscles and torn ligaments .

Strength is nothing without proper form to channel it into power.
Sforza Wrote:...Here's the workout test used by the actors of 300 after months of training.

Holy shit, that's a doozy.

I realize not all people have the time for large sets of prepared workouts, so my advice is to make time at least once a week for a small physical activity that involves your entire body, and keep that appointment. Like, play badminton on Saturday afternoons, or jog on Sunday mornings. If you say it gets in the way of your work, remember being sick from decreased body resistance also can haha.

Personally what I do is to lift dumbbells about thrice a week for maintaining some measure of upper body fitness, and I try to jog 5 kilometers when I can. I'm pretty lucky though - I got a lot of physical exercise during my time in college, and I have a very low amount of body fat (or is that unlucky?), so it's easy for me to see results and stay motivated.

Oh, and I just recently joined a gym. Ah well, gotta get with the times. LOL
theGrim Wrote:Oh, and I just recently joined a gym. Ah well, gotta get with the times. LOL

Out of curiosity, which gym did you join?
Sforza Wrote:
theGrim Wrote:Oh, and I just recently joined a gym. Ah well, gotta get with the times. LOL

Out of curiosity, which gym did you join?

A local one near Sta. Lucia called Brickroad Gym. P1000 for three months. Pretty good deal, and has adequate equipment.
ardjin Wrote:this is how i started my workout:
*the ard ard arf arf diet program*(my own programHappy)

stretching firstHappy do watever stretching you kno
sit-ups:10reps-5sets-10sec rest after each set
deadlifts(25-35lbs):15reps-4sets-10sec rest
push-ups:15reps-5sets-30sec rest after each set
bunny hops (20-30lbs)-do as much as you can in 30sec(90sec w/o weights)
pull-ups:5reps-3sets-1min rest

*do it every other day, 3x a week and don't forget to scrub those armpits when you take a showerHappy

Okay 'to ah. I have a few comments LOL

There are lower abdominal and upper abdominal muscles. Sit-ups will work the lower abs. Do leg lifts for the upper abdominals. You can do a variation of leg lifts and then crunches while your legs are up in the air as a variation.

For newbies: don't lift weights that your hands can't hold firmly. If your grip starts to shake even though you can handle the weight, go do machine exercises first or switch to something lighter. Don't forget to stretch after doing weights, because that helps to prevent muscle pain.
NiX Wrote:Oh and people, don't get too obsessed doing crunches to get abs. The secret to having defined abs is actually just having a low percentage of body fat. Although crunches do strengthen your stomach muscles and help support your lower back.

Dude speaks the truth.

A strong core is also very important in all forms of martial arts because it keeps your body in balance which is very important when using forms.

For example, breakdancers have very strong cores. That's why they can spin their legs around using their torsos or do that move which looks like a fish out of water. Practitioners of shotokan karate also have very strong cores, which is the basis for the footwork and chest stability to knock people out with timed single blows.
Training regiment I've been using every time I get home from work. I got it from my arnis guro:

Push-ups (20)
Wide-arm pushups (20)
Pyramid pushups (20)
Crunches 30 reps, 2 sets (total 60), 30 second rest period in between
Leg raises 30 reps, 2 sets (total 60)
Side Crunches 30 reps, 2 sets (total 60) per side
Aquaman (60 reps)
Superman (60 reps)

The aquaman and superman exercises are meant for the back. For Aquaman, you begin by lying flat on your stomach, and spread out your arms and legs. The exercise consists of lifting an arm (including the shoulder) , along with an opposite leg (ex: left arm, right leg).

The superman is similar to the Aquaman, except that you lift all four limbs at the same time. Two pairs of limbs being raised in Aquaman is one count - one raise equals one count for Superman. They're both meant to build up your back muscles - the crunches and leg raises are for your upper and lower abs.

Suggestion for the abs: When you reach the peak of your raise, count to two, and lower yourself slowly - don't let gravity do the work for you. This helps maintain the muscle tension during the routine. It will hurt, but it pays off by giving you better muscle control and tone.

Aside from stretching, beginners may want to try doing these drills at 30 reps per session, so their body can get used to the movement. I added five increments per week after starting this program.

The hard part is finishing the whole thing within 20 minutes. Works well when combined with regular 2 km jogs.
For the past few times I've gone to the gym I've been playing my psp on a stationary bike because it gets so boring just running.

I've been able to do 20 km. in 50 minutes of non-stop biking at an effort level somewhere in the middle of easiest and most difficult, so it didn't affect timing too much. I didn't get a lot of weird stares either, because people know cardio is boring is hell and they saw that I was doing pretty well regardless.

I don't know if it helped that the game I was playing at was MHP2G, since playing it will encourage you -not- to stop since monster hunting is based on gaining momentum and rhythm.
fitness! i need to be fit before september or i won't make it to bootcamp. problem is im constipated. im over 20 pounds for my standard weight which is 196. anyone here had been constipated before? constipation = 20 pounds of fecal matter.Vomit
hykesenses Wrote:constipation = 20 pounds of fecal matter.Vomit

Eww. Sick

Get detoxed! It should be pretty easy to find a clinic there that would do that, right? Seriously, you shouldn't go around carrying that much poison with you.
theGrim Wrote:Eww. Sick

Get detoxed! It should be pretty easy to find a clinic there that would do that, right? Seriously, you shouldn't go around carrying that much poison with you.

oo nga e. pero hihintayin ko muna kung ano yung ssuggest ng doctor ko. sabi nya IBS daw e. baka nga ibs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16