The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Organized Religion Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Stuff about aging populations leading to crises in other countries, as compared to our large younger working population. I understand that a large population of stupiduneducated young people is just about as useless as dying old people. And how to harness this population as a boon is another thing entirely. But like I said, they weren't great points, they were decent. That first part about our being secular and some god being mentioned in the constitution was just idiotic though.
*doesn't play it* Why should I even listen to this guy? Who is he?
Willy Arcilla's speech was taken at a recent Congressional Hearing for the Reproductive Health Bill.

That's probably why you should be worried - idiots like him are trying to turn the issue into another morality debate.

And while I think he's a fucking moron, the problem is that speech of his got applause from several Congressmen. If they'd bothered to read the constitution, or done their homework, they'd probably see right through his rhetoric.

http://filipinofreethinkers.org/2010/12/...e-rh-bill/

(12-02-2010, 10:49 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]Stuff about aging populations leading to crises in other countries, as compared to our large younger working population.

Just because we're following an RH program doesn't necessarily mean we'll end up following their trend. He's trying to create a false dichotomy here

Besides, if Arcilla wants to draw up probably scenarios, I'd cite the problems of AIDs and STDs in Africa.

Most of their AIDs education programs are being muddled by the Catholic Church and various Christian groups, and it's a common point of frustration for the various humanitarian groups working in the area; A health worker tries to teach the locals a comprehensive safe sex program, only to find it being called "evil" by some hack pastor who's been taking lessons from Rick Warren.
http://www.alternet.org/health/118125

Quote:That first part about our being secular and some god being mentioned in the constitution was just idiotic though.

Next question to ask him is: Which God was the preamble referring to? Domo
have any of you seen this debate? =D

Christian Fundamentalism's gift to Kenya:

A Nationwide Crackdown on Homosexuals Ordered in Kenya
http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/2010/11/...-in-kenya/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12191423

Pope Benedict XVI has formally approved a miracle attributed to his late predecessor, paving the way to John Paul II's beatification on 1 May.

The process of beatification, or declaring the late pontiff to be "blessed", is a crucial step towards making him a saint.

John Paul II died in 2005 after a papacy of nearly 27 years.
The Vatican credits him with the miraculous cure of a nun said to have had Parkinson's Disease.

Church officials believe that the Polish pope, who himself suffered from the condition, interceded for the miraculous cure of Sister Marie Simon-Pierre, a Frenchwoman in her late forties.

She has said her illness inexplicably disappeared two months after John Paul II's death, after she and her fellow nuns had prayed to him.

Uh....so uhh......lol? IS THERE A COOLDOWN TO the SAINT SPELLS?

So when one dies.....with HOLY POWERS....the only thing you can do is save one person from YOUR OWN RELIGION? WTF, is that the rule?
Clearly, I have to say it outright. Bullshit stories are getting old.

Saint spells have a cooldown, it's a bug in the catholc matrix, Mister Anderson. LOL
By the tone of the whole thing, it seems like your heart hurt too. Tongue But yeah, gj! People like that are already beyond convincing, though. =/
Good riddance!
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerhea...-bill-meet

Quote:The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) Thursday pulled out of a consultation with the Senate technical working group drafting the chamber’s version of the reproductive health bill.

CBCP legal counsel Jo Imbong, who announced the CBCP’s “disengagement” at the start of the meeting with the Senate committee on health and demography’s technical working group, said the decision was made in accordance with the CBCP’s Jan. 31 pastoral letter rejecting the RH bill.

“The CBCP cannot lend its voice to a measure that undermines fundamental rights and the ideals and aspirations of Filipinos as written in the Constitution,” Imbong said.

It was to have been the first meeting of the technical working group to which anti- and pro-RH bill advocates were all invited.

They're an interest group just like everyone else that should be included in consultations, but pulling out just means that their position won't be considered. They ought to stop acting like petulant children and go through the proper channels as well if they actually did have a logical foundation to stand on.
@Sforza

The problem is that instead of them, I think the RP Gov't would make far more progress if they invited women's rights groups instead of the CBCP or Pro-Life Philippines. These two groups occupy seats in senate that are far better used for groups that have a very really stake in these proceedings.

Would you give a voice to vegans when it comes to debating meat quality standards?
Quote:"Their weapon of choice is the Quarant’Ore, a prayer that is said for 40 hours, with sets of devotees taking up the thread in different churches for almost two days until the prayer is completed."

"“In times of danger, calamity, or crisis, the Quarant’Ore is prayed. When President Corazon Aquino lay dying, we prayed for her. Before President Aquino declared his candidacy, we also had a vigil,” she said."

I see a 50/50 chance there.

edit: Good selection of words too, "Their weapon of choice.."
40 hours?
woah long casting time.
that dude needed a lot of dex to improve cast speed
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22