The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Pacquiao
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Hahaha yeah that was really funny. LOL Actually there were several lol moments in the fight. It really did feel like the whole thing was a joke.
I missed that pompyang moment. >_> LF replays.
Clottey is a 90vit/80str/everything else spilt between dex and luk Steel Body Monk.
Pacquiao is a dual dagger assassin.
(03-15-2010, 07:43 PM)Serene Wrote: [ -> ]Clottey is a 90vit/80str/everything else spilt between dex and luk Steel Body Monk.

Puro crit pero 10~15~20~10 etc yung damage? LOL

Parang nag white pot spam si Clottey. Mahal un!
(03-15-2010, 08:38 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2010, 07:43 PM)Serene Wrote: [ -> ]Clottey is a 90vit/80str/everything else spilt between dex and luk Steel Body Monk.

dapat nag iceream nalang siya para HP/SP kaya lang magastos
(03-15-2010, 08:39 PM)iraya-sama Wrote: [ -> ]

Di naman tatama yung asura kay Pac kasi may hide siya. Sayang lang yung sp ni Clottey
It has to be said, though: Pacquaio threw BEAUTIFUL combos. He really did almost seem like he was just practicing against a punching bag. LOL
I'd like to pimp this nice write-up written by my friend, since it's so good. Big grin

It's a bit of a read, but he makes very interesting points.

Quote:THE EVENT Pacquiao-Clottey : It's All About Perspectives People

The band new Dallas Cowboys Stadium is so immense, that a massive high-definition jumbotron hangs from the rafters to help in audience viewing. This big screen is so state of the art that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones claims a person sitting in the bleachers will see the same things as someone seated at ringside. In a perfect world, this would be true, but the fact remains that the perspectives of two audience members will differ.

The Pacquiao-Clottey fight was, at the end of a day, a matter of perspective. From the fight itself, to audience reaction, even to long-term implications, it all boils down to perspective.

Initial fan reaction, at least here in the Philippines, is that the fight was boring. A yawner. A snoozefest. Not worth the pay per view order. Perspectives.

This is the first time in his last five fights that Pacquiao had gone to the scorecards. No knockdowns were scored, no one even seemed remotely in trouble. Thus we get people saying "It was boring". Boring? Well, if you want to see two people trade punches wildly and one of them getting knocked out, go to Tondo and look for a local gang rumble. You might even see an occasional ice pick and stone used.

The name of the game is "boxing". It's a sport. A very TECHNICAL sport, hence the moniker "The Sweet Science". The intricacies of Clottey's defense were lost amidst the clamor of knockdowns and knockouts. Let's give credit where credit is due. Clottey fought a great defensive fight. The reason he wasn't knocked down was because he protected his chin very, very well. Granted, Pacquiao literally punished his midsection and forearms, Clottey's defensive posture did what it was supposed to do, prevent the knockout from happening. Take it from this perspective, if an offensive dynamo such as Pacquiao couldn't get through the defense, then the defense must have been something good.

To me, Clottey's defensive posture was a mixture of the "peek-a-boo" stance and the "cross-armed" defense. A young Mike Tyson, then under the tutelage of Cud D’Amato, utilized the peek-a-boo to great success. However, Clottey's style lacked the head movement, and constant dropping of the gloves, hence the "peek-a-boo" moniker. Clottey was more similar Winky Wright, another great defensive fighter of this era. Such a style covers the head defensively, such that hooks and interior uppercuts are the best way to penetrate. Pacquiao however, decided to go the fundamentally sound path and work the body.

They say that body punching is quickly becoming a forgotten art in boxing. Pacquiao doesn't seem to have forgotten. With Clottey's hands up, logic dictates that Pacquiao work the body. And work the body he did. He landed ripping combinations, five and sometimes even eight punches at a time. The idea is, work the body so that by the championship rounds, the opponent will lose stamina and drop his hands. Pacquiao also landed numerous shots to the gloves and forearms of Clottey. This worked two ways. Aside from the illusion of actually scoring points, it also numbs the forearms of Clottey, perhaps making it more difficult for the Ghanaian to hold the stance in the latter rounds. More importantly, the toll Pacquiao's punches took on his forearms definitely took something away from the hand speed and power when Clottey punched.

I will admit, I would have liked to see Clottey throw more punches. But he didn't. He did land some good shots in the middle rounds, specifically two inside uppercuts that had Pacquiao seemingly in trouble. But he failed to follow up. He fought a perfect defensive game, but a lousy offensive game.

Because of this, the fight was boring? Because Pacquiao was forced to fight intelligently against a well-executed defensive game plan, it was boring? Because Pacquiao spent time working the body, it was boring? Pacquiao showcased his conditioning, hand speed and punching accuracy in this fight, as Clottey was showcasing his ability to defend his chin. Intricacies like these are a joy to watch in my perspective. But then, for most people, a boxing match without a knockdown or knockout is boring.

It's funny really. Pacquiao tried his hardest to get the knockout. He worked the body, looking for openings in the defense, but the opening never came. Clottey refused to relent against the punishment his forearms and midsection were taking. And because of this display of toughness and discipline, it's his fault for being boring? Both fighters put on excellent displays of the facets of boxing. Pacquiao for the offense, Clottey for the defense. However, the inverse cannot be said. Pacquiao's defense, specifically on the inside fighting was suspect, as he was rocked by three of four uppercuts by Clottey. Clottey's offense however, was effective when he opted to throw punches, which was few and far in between. Judging mainly of the fighters' faces post-match, you would think Pacquiao was on the receiving end of the punishment.

In the end, it worked out well for both fighters. Pacquiao gets his win and boosts his public profile for the up coming elections. Clottey gets his money, and retains his reputation as a tough defensive fighter.

What lies next for Pacquiao? Most people are salivating for a Mayweather fight right now. Mosley can also enter the picture if he upsets the Pretty Boy. However, I think neither fighter will be fighting Manny next.

I doubt Mosley beats Mayweather, though it is possible. A Mayweather fight has all the drug-testing obstacles that marred the last negotiations. So who else is possible? Antonio Margarito.

Margarito has everything in corner to make the fight happen. For one, he's also represented by Bob Arum. Second, he MIGHT get a boxing license from the Texas State Athletic Commission, leading to another fight at Cowboys Stadium. Margarito is Mexican, which means another Mexican warrior for the "MEXicutioner" Pacquiao to take care of. And the substantial Latino population of Texas could lead to a bigger crowd than the 51,000 who watched The Event.

I think a Margarito fight is more feasible than a Mayweather or Mosley fight right now. It all depends on Margarito's boxing license and the drug testing issue. Either way, I'd like to see both fights happen.

It's all a matter of perspective in boxing. The inherent bloodlust in humans wants to see the knockout or knockdown, but let's give appreciation to the intricacies of the defense of Clottey and the offense of Pacquiao. Boring for some, it was not boring to me. It was a great display from two warriors who put on a great boxing match.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an ending note, much respect to Jose Luis Castillo for his great career. It was tough to see such a warrior quit on his stool against Alfonso Gomez of The Contender fame. Castillo will always be remembered for giving Floyd Mayweather his two toughest fights to date, and for his participation in the greatest fight in the millennium thus far against Diego "Chico" Corrales (RIP)
(03-15-2010, 08:49 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-15-2010, 08:39 PM)iraya-sama Wrote: [ -> ]

Di naman tatama yung asura kay Pac kasi may hide siya. Sayang lang yung sp ni Clottey

Di naman 10-15-20-10. Naka Double Bloody double Boned +10 Mace sya.

To Mix:
Great read man. BTW, Tell your friend that real Tondo men bring jungle bolos. Joke.
Grim, thanks for thanks for posting the article!

It's nice to see a fellow boxing fan see the discipline as what it really is - a thinking man's game that requires as much physical prowess as it does brains. Salute
LOL LOL
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/39530...g-pacquiao

Manny Pacquiao agrees to undergo blood tests, but Floyd Mayweather has new stipulations

Quote:Pacquiao agreed to have it done 24 days before the fight, but Mayweather insisted on 14. The other day, however, the Filipino superstar agreed to do it 14 days or even closer, but not on the day of the fight itself.

"I gave him (Pacquiao) a chance, up to 14 days out. But my new terms are all the way up to the fight. They can come get us whenever, all the way up to the fight, random drug test. That’s what it is," Mayweather was quoted as saying.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/23/148...to-undergo
Coward. Glare
Naiinis na ako sa kanila.Taga hakot nalang ng pera ang dalawang yan. Pati yung mga huli nilang laban, pang build-up ng hype lang yun.
Still, it's nice to know that now there's DEFINITIVE, UNDENIABLE proof that Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a fucking pansy.
Taena sobrang paimportante ni negro ah
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13