Current time: 03-29-2024, 01:17 PM
ISP Discussion and Q&A thread
I decided to make this thread since I saw no proper place to pester anyone with questions regarding ISPs.

If you have info, news, questions and answers to post, just do so Smile

On to my agenda. I texted a PLDT saleslady, asking her about technical stuff regarding getting a DSL line. I asked for the first-time fee, monthly fee, and so on.

She told me the basics, but especially mentioned that I need a phone line if I want the connection to be stable, since..
Quote: (Through shorthand text) Sir pag may kasamang line anytime maganda access ng internet, not like internet lang depende sa signal yun at kapag hindi maganda ang weather pangit din ang access

Is there any truth to this? I am certain that there are problems with the connection due to whatever reason, but the way she said it is like telling me that a phone line is required for a good connection, and if I don't get it I will probably Sad all day.

I am quite aware of the possible problems that I may encounter from this internet connection, but I seriously doubt that a phone line will help.

Or maybe they're trying to bundle the phone in with the connection service, and I don't need it. Ayaw ko magbayad ng bulag para sa serbisyo na hindi ko naman kailangan.

On another note, my bullshit detector seems to be working again.
Well, I can tell you that the reverse of what she said definitely isn't true. We have a PLDT phone line and a PLDT DSL subscription, and the connection still dies from time to time.
And weather almost always affects your connection, does it? Regardless if you have a phone line or not?
That's especially true for the wireless services. Location and number of subscribers in the area is a factor as well.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
(09-30-2010, 02:08 PM)Shintetsu Wrote: And weather almost always affects your connection, does it? Regardless if you have a phone line or not?

The past months have gotten better for DSL performance in my opinion. It used to be that continuously strong rains would slow down or disconnect the DSL line, but it's not happening to me now.
Ayan, ibuhos niyo na lahat ng tanong niyo kay Mr. Palafox. LOL
Location is good, but I'm in a high net traffic area, being in a Condo near Taft Avenue. Most connections here work well though, so I guess I'm going to try the offer minus the phone line, which I don't need at all.

So I called BS right, right? LOL
Yeah, that was just pure sales talk, better to get one without the phoneline. According to our techs, both landline and internet in one cable can pretty much slow down your bandwidth. You can also try out the new WiMAX services from Globe and Smart if they're available in your area, i hear they're pretty good.

Just stay away from that ISP i told you about. The service quality might get better in the future once they establish a better network but as it is right now, you're just setting yourself up for a lot of grief. If you PM me your exact location though, i can check if your place is alright.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
(09-30-2010, 11:33 PM)NiX Wrote: Ayan, ibuhos niyo na lahat ng tanong niyo kay Mr. Palafox. LOL

Fox, nasa isang telecom account ka? O marami ka lang talagang experience with different ISPs? LOL
So I've been hearing about Globe's WiMAX too. Does Smart have its own iteration of this technology as well? Globe has horrible local connectivity afaik. Sad

My mom also mentioned Globe to me a couple of days ago. IIRC, Globe's WiMAX is portable. If Smart has their own version of this service, I might consider getting that over the PLDT line.
currently subscribed to PLDT myDSL with a phoneline and all i can say is that lady was just saying that to get you to sign up for the line. just a strong wind or light drizzle makes my internet go haywire. if you have other options, go for those, PLDT ain't worth it imo.
(10-01-2010, 09:57 AM)Grim Wrote:
(09-30-2010, 11:33 PM)NiX Wrote: Ayan, ibuhos niyo na lahat ng tanong niyo kay Mr. Palafox. LOL

Fox, nasa isang telecom account ka? O marami ka lang talagang experience with different ISPs? LOL

The account i'm with right now is the first time i've been placed in a telecom account. I've only been in two call centers and this is pretty much the second account i've been with, the first being a financial one. I've only tried a couple ISPs during the past few years but so far for me, Smart Bro has been pretty good enough. I think it may be due to the fact that the Fort Bonifacio area isn't a really high-traffic location so bandwidth's never been a problem and the speed i've been getting for the past few months is almost double than what i'm paying for.
Doesn't happen too often, but I've been getting shit service from Globe for the past two days. Both at home and in the office. -__-
thinking of getting my net connection to avoid conflicts with other people in the house. problem is, im planning of moving out in a few months. so heres the question, are there providers where you can have your DSL line moved to a different address?

ive thought of wireless net, but ive had very bad experience with the USB dongle based ones.
Then just wait a few months. Having your account transferred costs money.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teh Interesting Military Technology News Thread Lord_Leperman 54 78,967 10-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Last Post: J.E_Magog
  Teh interesting tech news stub thread Grim 276 386,230 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Monitors and TVs Discussion NiX 16 21,397 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Last Post: NiX
Tongue The Redfox sucks thread wanzerfreak 33 45,536 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Shintetsu