Current time: 05-08-2024, 12:41 PM
PS3 hacked?
Its all over the news, the previously unhackable PS3 was supposedly hacked by the same guy that was able to jailbreak the Iphone 2G, so this lends some credit to the story. http://gizmodo.com/5455326/father-of-jai...ystation-3

Quote:George Hotz, the young gun who first hacked the iPhone 2G, has claimed to have compromised the Playstation 3. On his blog, Hotz wrote:

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

Hotz hasn't revealed the exact details of the exploit, so nothing's confirmed quite yet, but interested PS3 users should stay tuned to see how this unfolds.

Will we be able to access the full potential of our consoles soon? Like being able to install the proper codecs for previously unsupported videos. It's good to note that there is no release yet, and this may be just a hoax, but coming from the first guy who was able to hack the Iphone, he has a lot of credit going for him.
Holy crap, i'll be awaiting updates on this.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
me too.....imagine the potential!
==========It's easier to believe a lie told a thousand times than a truth you've never heard before==========

February 1938 - Popular Mechanics Magazine: “NEW BILLION-DOLLAR CROP”

[Image: 1234234723396-1-1-1.jpg]
Imagine all the pirated blu-rays LOL
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

(01-24-2010, 08:47 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: Its all over the news, the previously unhackable PS3 was supposedly hacked by the same guy that was able to jailbreak the Iphone 2G, so this lends some credit to the story. http://gizmodo.com/5455326/father-of-jai...ystation-3

Quote:George Hotz, the young gun who first hacked the iPhone 2G, has claimed to have compromised the Playstation 3. On his blog, Hotz wrote:

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

Hotz hasn't revealed the exact details of the exploit, so nothing's confirmed quite yet, but interested PS3 users should stay tuned to see how this unfolds.

Will we be able to access the full potential of our consoles soon? Like being able to install the proper codecs for previously unsupported videos. It's good to note that there is no release yet, and this may be just a hoax, but coming from the first guy who was able to hack the Iphone, he has a lot of credit going for him.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but damn it, how I wish this were true We're not worthy
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Oh yeah! Perhaps by the time I am able to buy a PS3 this stuff would be complete. I hope. Big grin
[Image: sidburn.png]
The PS Jailbreak

Works with Firmware 3.41 (Latest firmware) only. While people say it does work, there are a lot of limitations at the moment such as only certain games run, and actually having the original title at hand to use for backup. If you're expecting something like what's on the PSP, don't count on it just yet.
tbh, i don't know what's the fuss over hacking the ps3.

Why don't people just get over it and just get original games? not only does it help the developers, but it also, in a small way, helps combat piracy. if they find games too expensive, then they should try to save up, or just try to get additional income, period. In other words, if you indeed want to maintain playing games, then you better be prepared to shell out what you have to. I, for one, am not hopeful for any kind of hack as I don't want to stoop down to that level anymore-I mean, if we DO want the games we play to be as good as we want them to be, then we better start supporting the people who make them. Screwing them over is not helping, and take note, if you do at least choose to go pirate, whatever, then you better not complain if they don't turn out the way you want them to. peace.
It's nice to know the latest developments in the mod/hacking scene though.

But yes, I agree. Most of the RR members who have the console can afford to buy original PS3 games so that's what they should do. I've been buying original PC games too if I like the game enough. I think you guys should do the same (it's just a suggestion).
Well it is the Holy Grail of some sorts. The PS3 is the only current gen console remaining unhacked, and thus remains a challenge for many hackers to unlock the full potential of the console. Let's face it though, the real reason why people are excited about this is the potential for piracy. :p

Original games are just too expensive for the average gamer here in the Philippines and in developing countries, especially for students who don't have additional income besides a daily allowance. Just because one isn't able to pay for a game doesn't mean that they doesn't deserve to play it. Would it be better instead to have publishers decrease their prices to what may be considered acceptable to people in developing countries instead? As it stands, they charge for the same price wherever the game is sold, and they're not capturing potential markets in developing countries.

They could follow the business model used by the movie industry, where ticket prices vary greatly around the world for the same movie. The film may not rake in as much as in the developing world, but it will still capture a larger market share that they might have lost through piracy instead. That said, games that might have been sleeper hits may grow to become blockbuster sellers in other territories instead.
@Leper

One solution proposed by market analysts is cutting down on the packaging - use cheaper containers, or more simple manuals. Basically, a "economy" model of the same game. I'm thinking of a business model where a player can just get the bare-bones basic title, and buy the later options (multiplayer, additional features, stages, levels, etc.) as separate pieces.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
(08-25-2010, 03:48 PM)Twin-Skies Wrote: @Leper

One solution proposed by market analysts is cutting down on the packaging - use cheaper containers, or more simple manuals. Basically, a "economy" model of the same game. I'm thinking of a business model where a player can just get the bare-bones basic title, and buy the later options (multiplayer, additional features, stages, levels, etc.) as separate pieces.

there is already such a model
Downloadable Content = DLC
seems like the hack does work but i read somewhere on the net that sony has a way to detect modified consoles. They could just brick your console like what micro$oft is doing if ever they wanted to. Domo

Just buy and sell games, its not practical to collect them anyways...unless it is an uber rare collectors edition that would be worth millions in a decade or so ...which is highly unlikely LOL
Ninja Ninja 
Sorry guys, squashed even before it got off the ground - http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/09/07...te-dreams/

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
The PS3 gets early SNES and Dreamcast emulation. You know what this means... Mario Kart and FF6 on the PS3. Throw in some Ikaruga too. Smile

Quote:Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it? Sure, jailbreaks and homebrew titles are all well and good, but you know a console has really arrived when it starts emulating the classics. The ever-versatile Snes9x has been given a quick and dirty port to the newly jailbroken PS3, and while it's missing fancy features like "save states" and "UI," it's certainly looks to be doing the most basic task of playing games just fine.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/ps3-g...emulation/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PS3 Hacked? Doom Trigger 6 7,094 03-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Last Post: atdsutm