Current time: 07-01-2024, 05:42 AM
Poll: Are We Geeks?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Duh
60.71%
17 60.71%
No
17.86%
5 17.86%
Dunno
21.43%
6 21.43%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are We Geeks?
Or you could be someone who isn't into what the average person would want. And probably into stuff most geeks would like, let's say Mecha, Anime, Japan, etc.

Ooh, I think I saw a nerd. Geek+Pride=Nerd?
Geeks are almost-obsessive regarding their passions, be it games, anime, comics, movies or other hobbies. Nerds tend to bury themselves in their books and studies. Neither of the two is a bad thing really.

This guy is probably a combination of the two.

[Image: chibij_otacon.jpg]
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
Ooh, nice example! Cool
[Image: nerdvenndiagram94201252.jpg]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmWbBqiCxGc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FmWbBqiCxGc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
I like the song Big grin but I seriously think i'm not a geek..
Lol you keep denying it.

Plenty of the non geeks i see can barely use a comp hehe.
Hah, say all you want but the mere fact that you're even in this forum is proof enough. Blahblah
lol lol
I wouldnt take "geek" as a derogatory term. it has evolved into something more acceptable over the past few years.

as for me, am i a nerd? NO. geek? yes. why? because im just obsessed with the things im interested in and go great lengths to know more about them.

* A person who is interested in technology, especially computing and new media. Geeks are adept with computers, and use the term hacker in a positive way, though not all are hackers themselves.
* A person who relates academic subjects to the real world outside of academic studies; for example, using multivariate calculus to determine how they should correctly optimize the dimensions of a pan to bake a cake.
* A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who passionately pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance.
* A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad but because many of these interests have mainstream endorsement and acceptance, the inclusion of some genres as "geeky" is heavily debated. Persons have been labeled as or chosen to identify as physics geeks, mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comic book geeks, theatre geeks, history geeks, music geeks, art geeks, philosophy geeks, literature geeks, historical reenactment geeks, 2012 geeks, video game geeks, and roleplay geeks.
* A more recent school of thought sees Nerd as being a derogatory phrase, whilst Geek is simply a description. It is taken to be someone who is an enthusiast, often in things outside of the mainstream spectrum, of note is that in this definition, there is no reference to being socially inept in the slightest.
Well said, my good man. That should quell any misunderstanding as to what a geek actually is. The third and fourth descriptions were very apt and pertinent. For me, my own way to describe a geek is as that they are devotees of various forms of media, be it printed, visual, auditory or some other form.
Yes, and I dont really see it as being derogatory at all. if one thinks of geeks as being equal to a nerd, then they have been misinformed, or still going with very old principles.
This makes Hitler a geek.
http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

edit: i don't necessarily agree or disagree with this. just thought it'd be an interesting read.
Evil Panda is a nerd and proud of it. Smile

To further illustrate:
~No one in his class can speak or write English quite as well as he (and everyone else on this board, really) can. Of course, his coming from an uppercrust high school along Katipunan Ave must have helped.
~His interests in music ('90s East+West Coast gangsta rap, J-pop) are not what one would call mainstream. His comrades even complain about the overabundance of what they call 'alien' music in his phone.
~The inordinate amount of time he spent (and still does, just not quite as much) on his computer has given him rapid-fire typing skills. And a somewhat unhealthy knowledge of the more questionable sites on the internet. Wink

...Lol.