The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Are We Geeks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
What determines geek-hood? Is it derogatory? Do you care?

Discuss, people. Discuss.
Darned~!!
A Straight Forward Question~!!

Depends on the person, But no, we are not geeks.
Not all of us at least.

Give me time to think on this one...
Definition 1: The term "geek" originally referred to the carnival performers whose act consisted of biting the heads off chickens and eating glass. Over time it came to be applied to anyone who got paid to do work considered odd or bizarre by mainstream society.

The term now enjoys a special status within the technical community, particularly among particularly knowledgable computer programmers. To identify oneself as a "geek" indicates a recognition that most people still consider programming computers to be a bizarre act, along with a certain fierce satisfaction in being very good at their inglorious profession.

That most software geeks now easily earn twice as much as the average laborer just sweetens their defiant embrace of the term.

Note: Unlike the word "nerd," which is always pejorative, "geek" often carries a positive connotation when used by one of the group. The use of the term by outsiders is considered insulting.

"If you really need the right answer, check with Bob; he's our resident alpha geek."

Definition 2: Not to be confused with Nerd. A geek does not have to be smart, a Geek is someone who is generaly not athletic, and enjoys Video Games; Comic Books; being on the internet, and etc.

source: urbandictionary.com LOL

I think the better question is, Is there any RR member that isn't a geek?
I'm not sure about you guys but, W00T I'M A GEEK AND PROUD TO BE ONE! 8)

Personally, I'm not sure if I'm really a geek, however, what's important is acting your real yourself. I don't need to be cool or astig or maporma. Wink

EDIT: whoops, dang grammar
sforzando Wrote:I think the better question is, Are there any RR members that isn't a geek?

Now that is a difficult question...

Based on the second definition, Darned...
I'm a geek.
My girlfriend always mockingly calls me a geek. Tears
NiX Wrote:My girlfriend always mockingly calls me a geek. Tears

Tell her "I'm a man and I'm proud to be a geek!" and she'll be impressed LOL (j/k you'll get busted if you that, but it's worth the try :p )
Hahah no I won't get busted for it. She'll LOL really hard though... which'll piss me off even more. Hahah
In my fourth year hs i've been branded as a nerd instead of a geek.

But there's no shame in being a geek. Even a nerd. Once again this is mostly a western phenomenon.

A friend of mine is 40, happily married, collects more toys and comics than i do.
NiX Wrote:Hahah no I won't get busted for it. She'll LOL really hard though... which'll piss me off even more. Hahah

That's probably a sign that she'll accept you no matter what you are. If that's true, you are one lucky bastard LOL (j/k on the "bastard" part :p )
Eto pa rin ako.
<center>
[Image: nerdmonkeyya4.jpg]
</center>
Hahah well at the end of the day, I don't mind being a geek at all.
If its with you guys, its great being a geek.

We would not have met if we weren't AC geeks in one way or another.
Si Zigg may kasalanan nun.
Are we geeks? Yes, but it's not bad.

Besides, we're only geeks (to other people at least) because we know a lot about a little known game, and one that's hard to get into to boot. If we were playing some other FPS game we'd be "addicts" instead.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7