The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: What's in La Salle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm planning to go to La Salle (PSM-MGT) for college but I don't know anyone from La Salle that could give me a heads-up.

Here are my reasons for picking La Salle:
1) They have a Dual-Degree Program (LIA-COM, COM-COM, ARTS-BUS)

2) I already know the neighborhood since it's near my mom's-side-of-the-family's residence

3) It's pretty near

4)I want to be part of a prestigious school and in the same time be sort of labelled as the underdog. (Mostly because of the Ateneo vs. La Salle thing, Ateneans are labelled as mayabang and Lasallites are labelled as bobo.) aka. Be judged as an individual, not as an alumna

5) If what they say about DLSU is true (that it's more laid-back), then there's a possibility I can join more non-academic activities.

So...Guys, what's it like in La Salle~?
"Lasallites are labelled as bobo" yeah kinda true...but i really don't know how that label came to be though hmmm

also another label ive noticed with lasallians is....
"Bulok Mag english or something"

hmmmm
I've been looking through some sites...They're not helping me much...

It's either Ateneans bashing Lasallites and saying that Ateneo is better or Lasallites who are bashing Ateneans... >.>

Well what do you expect its a long running rivalry for years between those two schools

though it also makes me wonder how did it start?
I have. Psychology has been my choice since Sophomore year. I've read up on Business Management last school year.

Having 2 older brothers already in college even before I hit high school gives me a lot of incentive to prepare LOL
as long as the college/university has a good rep for the course/s you want then I for one say go with convenience.

HW, Nix and Portmanteau are from DLSU. They can probably help you with your request when they do get around to reading this thread.

About Psych, you can get a double major in La Salle. I'd say that makes it worth it since your employment prospects with a Psych degree alone would be pretty limited unless you take further education. On the other hand, Ateneo has a really nice campus LOL I hung out there quite often before. I think they have a stronger focus on humanities aside from simply specializing on your major.

(01-14-2012, 03:35 PM)RoninFang Wrote: [ -> ]"Lasallites are labelled as bobo" yeah kinda true...but i really don't know how that label came to be though hmmm

hmmmm

I'm not from La Salle but every single person who I've met from that school is fluent in english and isn't "bobo". Obviously, we don't know the same people, but every school has its share of idiots. That's a pretty irresponsible thing to say about any school actually, and I find it a bit weird since you studied in CSB.

Edit: No offense to CSB graduates either.
Coming from a person(me) who's met a lot of idiots on his way to the present and prolly being one of them, it just varies; that rumor probably just came from another idiot. Not exactly sure how Lasalle ended up getting labeled as that though. I haven't actually heard that sort of insult-rumor about them before. Two of my cousins was and is from DLSU btw, and both of them chose business-related courses.

As for the guy who finished his IBS course, he was pirated (with only very few selected) from BPI to a much higher position with his own office, and an assured x3 starting income by Deutsche Bank in Makati Global after a month or two since his starting career. So I guess it's safe to say that reputation seems humble to me in a good way; business courses in DLSU can be just as competitive while leaving that laid-back impression. Just have a good background of your OJT and school performance.

Can't say anything yet about Ateneo though, as I haven't asked my other cousin who studies there. I couldn't even remember what her course was. All I know is that she's doing good anyway.
(01-15-2012, 02:29 AM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]HW, Nix and Portmanteau are from DLSU. They can probably help you with your request when they do get around to reading this thread.

About Psych, you can get a double major in La Salle. I'd say that makes it worth it since your employment prospects with a Psych degree alone would be pretty limited unless you take further education. On the other hand, Ateneo has a really nice campus LOL I hung out there quite often before. I think they have a stronger focus on humanities aside from simply specializing on your major.

(01-14-2012, 03:35 PM)RoninFang Wrote: [ -> ]"Lasallites are labelled as bobo" yeah kinda true...but i really don't know how that label came to be though hmmm

hmmmm

I'm not from La Salle but every single person who I've met from that school is fluent in english and isn't "bobo". Obviously, we don't know the same people, but every school has its share of idiots. That's a pretty irresponsible thing to say about any school actually, and I find it a bit weird since you studied in CSB.

Edit: No offense to CSB graduates either.

Hey Me and Andrew are from DLSU too! Sad

But in all seriousness, yes, it's pretty rude to overgeneralize that DLSU(Or any other school's) people are "bobo" in general just by meeting a small percentage of the whole population. I don't want to delve into further statistics, so I'll just leave it at that. Sforza pretty much said a lot of stuff I would've planned on saying anyway.
No one's telling me what's in La Salle yet XD
(01-14-2012, 03:13 PM)HayWire Wrote: [ -> ]I'm planning to go to La Salle (PSM-MGT) for college but I don't know anyone from La Salle that could give me a heads-up.

Here are my reasons for picking La Salle:
1) They have a Dual-Degree Program (LIA-COM, COM-COM, ARTS-BUS)

2) I already know the neighborhood since it's near my mom's-side-of-the-family's residence

3) It's pretty near

4)I want to be part of a prestigious school and in the same time be sort of labelled as the underdog. (Mostly because of the Ateneo vs. La Salle thing, Ateneans are labelled as mayabang and Lasallites are labelled as bobo.) aka. Be judged as an individual, not as an alumna

5) If what they say about DLSU is true (that it's more laid-back), then there's a possibility I can join more non-academic activities.

So...Guys, what's it like in La Salle~?

3rd year student in DLSU here. Can't really tell if my personal experiences are gonna help you since it's different for every individual, but I can answer some of the questions:

1) The dual degree programs are really nice, but it's tougher than it looks. Most of the people I know who complain about very heavy scheds are the LIA-COM students. From what I've heard, the dual degree programs have been getting positive feedback from the students and employers alike.

4) I wouldn't want to enroll in a school just for the rivalries, but some UAAP games get pretty heated up because of that (admittedly, it IS fun to watch an Ateneo-DLSU game). With the labelling issue, it's not really good to judge a school just based on what the others are saying. You have to experience it yourself. I know some pretty smart, workaholic students here that can also be seen in other universities. This is a case where school rivalry rears its ugly head again Tongue

5) Laidback... hmm... it depends, actually. I have a tight sched this term so I can't really help out in non-academic activities, but some of my blockmates can. It all boils down to how you manage your free time. DLSU's got many non-academic activites that you can participate in, so I say eat your heart out and enjoy Big grin

The only gripe I have about my school is the campus. Seriously. Ateneo's campus is way better. The only field we have left is being used as the site for the next school building (Henry Sy building, if I recall correctly). You'll just have to make do with the old Rizal Memorial stadium, heavy traffic in Taft, and tons of smoke to inhale Glare
I'm more used to walking in buildings rather than in open fields if a crowd is involved anyway. XD
^ This is what happens when TS, RF and I decide to switch computers/laptops -.-
DLSU grad here.

School (at that tier anyway) is more about what you do with the opportunity rather than what the school can do with you. Wherever you end up enrolling, just be sure to make the very most of it. Have a clear goal in mind. Don't do things half-assed.
(01-16-2012, 09:20 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]Don't do things half-assed.

seconded
Pages: 1 2 3