Current time: 03-28-2024, 08:18 PM
If you've kept up with news, this shouldn't be new
<!--QuoteBegin-NiX+Mar 5 2007, 02:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NiX @ Mar 5 2007, 02:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Actually, they do compliment each other in some ways.

Some of the greatest scientists, as they learned more, became even more convinced that a supreme being HAS to exist. Cases in point: Newton, Einstein. Then again, Hawking had his own (convincing) ideas. Tongue But ANYWAY, as an example, the big bang theory in itself needs a supreme being to be complete.

And religion can use Science to show that the vastness of the universe cannot simply be coincidence.

But meh. I say we were made by the Xel'Naga![/quote:aa03766cff]

Quite exactly my point earlier. Upon formulation of the big bang theory, being pointed as the begining of everything, people start to wonder how such an event, or phenomena responsible for everything we know, came to be. Some scientists may believe the existence of a supreme being at work in such event simply because he or she could not explain how the phenomena might have happened.

Its a bit of a cycle. The unknown is attributed to supernatural forces, science discovers cause of supernatural phenomena. Science's discovery answers questions but unlocks new mysteries. New and unknown mysteries at work are once again atributed to the supernatural. (when science has a track record of proving that everything is just physics).

Again, its just man's way of dealing with insecurity against the unknown by attaching explainations, no mater how supernatural they are, to phenomena they could not explain.

I really don't have a thing against religion or science, and I do agree that some aspects of both are beneficial to society. However, I think they should try to stay in their own fields of specialty. It just bothers me that some factions of religion meddle with scientific knowledge and progress, like those who promote creationism and inteligent design as substitutes for evolution.

<span style='color:black'>(I've been to one Intelligent Design conference once, and everything there just insults intelligence in every sense of the word).</span>

But that's enough from me Smile) I'm getting too serious about this.
Hahah nothing wrong with a little seriousness in this forum once in a while. =P
<!--QuoteBegin-NiX+Mar 5 2007, 02:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NiX @ Mar 5 2007, 02:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Hahah nothing wrong with a little seriousness in this forum once in a while. =P [/quote:819aff4a15]
^ Tama.

I find that the relationship of religion and science should never be treated like they are diametrical opposites, although they do seem like that way sometimes. Similar to some points already raised, what one cannot fully (or won't) explain has light conveniently shed upon it by the other. Examples include the evolution of man (if you happen to believe in that), and the matter of the human spirit/soul. When the boundaries of one discipline begin to have blurry explanations for such subjects the other picks up the slack. It's really quite a beautiful thing to observe.

I'll stand by my earlier statement and my general belief in the majority of humankind. People know or can sense that being rigid and very fundamentalist about religion will only hold them back. The Inquisition and the trials of Copernicus and Galileo are proof of that: the refusal to be flexible did nothing, while the acceptance of realities or the openness to them at least birthed the explosion of the Renaissance. Same thing with this news. It might not cause another forward surge of knowledge and culture, but at least it gives us a more realistic view of the person Christians believe in.

Call me optimistic, but... oh wait, yes I am.

If you want something that should be separated from religion, it's the State. Church + government = not a very good mix. Tongue
When is this gonna get aired up on TV?
It already aired in the U.S.

In Discovery Channel Asia, no announcements yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teh interesting animal-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 241 297,699 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting PHL-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 126 169,180 04-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread Sforza 1,527 1,630,040 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  LGBT Pride 2010 and Filipino Freethinkers in mainsteam news :) Twin-Skies 2 5,917 12-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Last Post: HayWire