Current time: 03-28-2024, 09:25 PM
The Last Ravens: Answering The Call
Part 2 of 3
Disclaimers: I don't own AC, nor any of the characters. I do like to think I own the name Evangel and that From Software stole it from me and gave it to a pilot in the games who didn't deserve it. So the Evangel from NX/LR that you know, doesn't exist. also, this is Heavenfall[the REWRITE!], just...without that name. there's another fic writer(who I respect and admire very much) that had that name for a fic long before I did, so I will not be using it.

A yellow white, and blue machine the size of a three-story building dashed forward to a group of smaller, brown machines.

“What the...? AC detected!? Guys, get it!” was the immediate response from one of the smaller machines.

The yellow machine, an Armored Core, drifted in between their fire. It raised it's two guns and laid down heavy fire against them, running behind and beside the machines. Their targeting systems seemed a bit too slow to keep up, occasionally missing altogether or even hitting each other. When the last one had fallen, the pilot of the machine looked at the top left corner of the screen inside the machine.

“93% of AP left...not bad for five MT's. On to the next group...” was his response to reading the information.

He had just made it to two more groups when two of the smaller Muscle Tracers were hit by a projectile from an unknown force.

“What?!?? ANOTHER AC?!? Shit...Spl-” was the only reply that came before a third was destroyed.

Turning his attention to the other group of MT's, the pilot of the yellow AC made short work of them before turning to look at the smoking pile of scrap metal that had come of the second group. A red and black Armored Core, this one slightly bigger than the yellow one, boosted next to it.

“Evangel, I'll head to Sector A-9 and finish up there. You need to head back or can you handle the generators?” the pilot of the red AC asked

“Nah Notoria, I can get the generators. I haven't used my rockets, and I've got...78% of AP left, I'll be fine.” was the yellow machine's pilot's reply.

With that, the two mecha's split, one heading toward a green door marked A-9, the other towards an industrial-size elevator shaft. The yellow AC boosted down into the elevator shaft, watching progress on his map and counting the seconds before the pilot tapped a command for boosting, slowing his progress until he floated in front of the generator room's doors. He tapped in another command at the top of the board for opening the door.

“Cannot unlock gate” was the AC's reply.

The pilot swiped across the board's left side, switching to his medium size rockets before launching two at the door, blowing it to pieces. The AC flew into the room and quickly dispatched all of the eight generators before flying out and up, reaching the room where he was before.He quickly exited the facility and made it to the exit point marked on his map.

“Heh, what took you so long E?” was the red AC's pilot, Notoria, question when the yellow AC came into view.

“Huh? Oh nothing, just had to fix a slight door problem that Crest was having on their generator room,” was the yellow AC's pilot, Evangel, only reply, albeit with a slight smirk on his face.

“Well alright then, haha” was Notoria's response. “Guess it's time to head home then”

The two AC's boarded a large grey transport ship as both of their AC's chimed in with a simple “Mission Accomplished, returning to base.” Little did they know, a black and dark green AC was watching them just outside of the area with it's Eye2 cam.

“Yeah...they're good. Real good. What you saw was barely a taste of what I've heard of these two...no wonder HE spoke so highly of them...nah, I'm heading back to base now. See ya then, Raven”

Author's Note: I'm going to be gone next week, from this sunday till next sunday, but the ideas will stew in my head till then. this was just a taste Smile also, I'm sure you wondered how Evangel's method of controlling his AC is different from what you've envisioned in an AC, and there's a reason for that. more to come on how it works in later chapters.

also, this is Part 2 of a 3 part series, part 1 of which is Calm Before (the) Storm(which is a prequel, really), and Part 3 of which you will definitely learn about another time.
ಠ_ಠ
A loud beeping noise awoke two men with a start, each one yelling at each other to turn off the blaring alarm clock. Finally, after several minutes of both of them trying to turn over and go back to sleep, in vain, the taller one got up and unplugged it from the wall.

“E, we really have to get a new one of these...one that we don't have to unplug to stop the damn thing,” he said, after plugging it back into the outlet and resetting the time according to his watch.

“Yeah, well remember to get a new one when you head out next time,” the other one said. He turned over and threw the pillow over his head as Notoria threw open the curtains, allowing bright sunlight to fill the room.

“Me? I'm the one that has to get up to turn it off every morning. Now get up, we probably have a ton of mission requests.”

The two pilots showered, dressed, and arrived at their AC hangar. Several of the busy mechanics waved to them in some form as they patched up bullet holes or reloaded their weapons with ammunitions. They made their way to a smaller office at the back of the hangar, where a young man, no older than twenty, was laying lazily at his computer terminal. Notoria turned the screen to find he was playing an online card game.

“Lazy bastard,” he said, with a slight chuckle and smirk to his face.

“I'm the lazy bastard? I'm not the one that gets up half-way through the day. Unlike the two Ravens standing in my office right now...” the man said .

“Yeah, yeah Martin, I know. Just give us the damn mission so we can go.” was Notoria's response.

“Alright...we've got an offer from Crest. They want you to attack a warlord's forces in the Garaal Desert.”

Notoria looked to Evangel. “You up for that?” he asked. The shorter pilot nodded his head solemnly and headed out the door. Running up to his AC, Abel, he looked everything over with the mechanics.

“Nah kid, besides the AP work I had to do, it's in tip-top. No software or connection problems...like we could fix those anyway...” was one of their replies. Evangel simply nodded, slightly annoyed at the kid remark, and hopped into the cockpit. The cover slid down over him and the touch pad slid in place in front of him. He slipped a pair of black gloves with white pads on the ends of each of the fingertips and gently laid them across the service. Spreading them out and then pulling them together, the AC slowly straightened up.

As the various walkways moved away, Notoria boarded his own AC, Cain, and followed after Abel as they took off, speeding towards the desert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“How many did you get?” Notoria asked. “Eh. About thirty, I guess.” “About thirty...you didn't count?” “I always count, Notoria.” “Then how many???” “Fifty-seven. Give or take, you might have finished one or two off for me.” “Smug bastard...”

The two headed back to base as the sun began to set in front of them, filling their screens with a pink and orange glow.

“Incoming AC detected. AC Stratos identified. The unit is equipped with...” both pilot's machines started to say before being silenced. Notoria managed to fire off two shots from his sniper rifle before Evangel stopped him.

“Notoria, wait...just...go home. I've got him.” “E, are you fucking crazy? You're mech is probably strained already. Let's just disable it for now and get out of here!” was Notoria's predictable response.

“No...just go!” Evangel shouted as he boosted towards the large blue and white AC, Stratos.

“Evangel, you should listen to him...” was all Evangel heard before he stopped. It was a raspy voice that was familiar to both pilots. But only Evangel responded. “Shut up you piece of shit! I know who sent you!” He dashed off towards it again, unloading magazines of machine gun ammunition into Stratos as he took to the skies.

The two AC's traded blows while the third AC, Cain, watched in a wrenching silence. Notoria could barely contain his anger but did nothing. Firing at Stratos would only distract Evangel, and even if it did help, he'd expect to get cussed out later...so he did nothing. Nothing but watch as he was slowly getting beat.

Stratos seemed to have the upper hand. The AC was slowly gaining an AP over Abel, as it seemed to be slowing down. More importantly, the pilot was slowing down. “Shit Abel, c'mon, move!” Evangel yelled as he slid his fingers over the surface. The AC took to the skies again, raining more machine gun bullets down at Stratos. Evangel activated the Exceed Orbit cannon on his AC so that he had a bit more firepower to slow down Stratos.

The extra bullets didn't help much, but they did slowly whittle it's AP down a considerable difference before it was empty. However, Evangel had no more surprises. He played to his strengths and stayed to the air, raining bullets on Stratos. However, when his left arm machine gun ran out, he knew he was in trouble. His right arm machine gun, the Pixie3, was dangerously low as well.

Finally, Stratos relented. “Fine...seems you can live another day. A happier one. Because I can't wait to take all of that away. But orders are orders, and I'm supposed to be retreating...for now.” Evangel couldn't help but notice the smirk in that statement.

As Stratos boosted away, Notoria fired a few bazooka shots in it's general direction, but not actually aiming at it. “You okay?”

“Yeah...I'll be fine. Just a little shook up...” Evangel said. “C'mon...let's go home...I need to....sleep...” Evangel put the AC into auto-pilot and immediately passed out.
ಠ_ಠ