Current time: 03-28-2024, 08:59 PM
Poll: I'm...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Religious
33.33%
9 33.33%
Agnostic
25.93%
7 25.93%
Atheist
18.52%
5 18.52%
Deist
22.22%
6 22.22%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Organized Religion Discussion Thread
Not all of us are atheists. But we're pretty unanimous in seeing that there's a lot of problems with organized religion. See that many of us are attacking a human institution rather than a god. Smile
Yeah they hurt my feelings D< (lolwut)
[Image: 142183_zps37998c8a.gif]
I wish I was religous, but nearly all of the worst people I've met are religious(and so proud of it).

The ones that are good doesn't seem to have the need to show off their "faith".
Quote:uhm... guys... read the "purpose driven life" book Smile

Already read it.

To put it nicely, I refuse to respect a book written by a man who has used his faith as an excuse for his bigotry against gays, and has already proven more than once that he wishes to impose his faith on people of other religious demographics, despite that being ethically wrong.

In short, I think Rick Warren is a bloody hypocrite who should be called out for being a bigot.

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/1028...-king-live

Quote:i'm a godly person, i urge you guys to believe in god before its too late.

Ahh, the "convert to my faith or else" card. I can't remember the number of times somebody tried to use that one me.

I'm not sure you noticed, but you do understand that this is a threat, right?

I don't see any difference between the "or else" people like you use, and a Taliban insurgent telling me to convert to islam, while pointing an AKM to my head.

A threat is a threat, and if your faith has to resort to threats just to get people to join, I will not have any part of it.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Quote:nearly all of the worst people I've met are religious(and so proud of it).

this really.

@ ts, lets just try to respect the beliefs of others please. i know you have a lot to say about religion, and so do i, but cool it.
Guys, friendly reminder. Please remember that you can debate about ideas all you want, but there's no room here for flaming, or hating on specific people because of the way they think.

We all know religion is a testy issue, but keep it civil. The last thing I'd want to do is censor or delete posts.
Yeah, no personal attacks, please. We're all friends here. We don't need this. Happy

Edit: But with that said, I still have to say that being being good and believing in a god does not equate to having to be religious. Being religious also does not equate to being good.

Take buddhist monks for example. They don't believe in a god. But they're probably some of the most peaceful, and (consequentially) good, people on Earth. If there is indeed a god, and a good buddhist monk dies and meets him, would a just and merciful god send him to hell simply because he didn't believe? If he did, then that's not just and merficul at all.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ngKwlHLwGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ngKwlHLwGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
==========It's easier to believe a lie told a thousand times than a truth you've never heard before==========

February 1938 - Popular Mechanics Magazine: “NEW BILLION-DOLLAR CROP”

[Image: 1234234723396-1-1-1.jpg]
Understood. I'll keep my comments in check.

@ardjin

I apologize for snapping at you earlier. I've been knee-deep in reading several updates regarding the church's sex abuse cases recently, and it has left me rather revolted at the matter of faith, especially one that claims the moral high ground.

I realize that you didn't deserve to be on the receiving end of my mood, and I'm sorry. Peace?

As for Rick Warren, yes I did read the book. His dubious background aside, I can't really agree with his writings, about all that I do being meant for the one singular purpose glorifying god. You may find that fulfilling, I find that rather depressing - it destroys the mystery of discovery and learning in its denial of the world's diversity.

As for your second advice of us finding god before it's too late, I'd like to share a food for thought: Pascal's Wager http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
eh? how come?
Facepalm

I suppose we can close the thread now? Let's do a catholic news thread instead, discussing something largely personal and sensitive here isn't really helping anyone at all at the moment, IMHO.

Let's just forgive and forget, k? Smile
(04-24-2010, 09:42 AM)Shintetsu Wrote: I suppose we can close the thread now? Let's do a catholic news thread instead, discussing something largely personal and sensitive here isn't really helping anyone at all at the moment, IMHO.

Er. No. Redundancy issue. A news thread will just generate the same responses we see on this one since people post news here too from time to time.
Ok, I'll drop that and go with "Forgive and forget" Big grin
(04-24-2010, 05:59 AM)ardjin Wrote: but i think this will be my last post here in RR.

One of the saddest things I've read on this board

-_______________________________________________-
ardjin : Please don't leave you don't need to )=

TS: though I do not approve of what you say here also I do respect your views (and find some of what you post all too true and disturbing). The only thing I would like to say about it (specifically your last post) ... wrong timing XX.

We have our views and our reasons but if they are always agreed upon, an interesting world that would NOT make.
whargarrblwhargarrblwhargarrbl!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teh interesting animal-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 241 297,703 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting PHL-related news stub thread Twin-Skies 126 169,181 04-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Teh interesting (non-PHL-related) news stub thread Sforza 1,527 1,630,048 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  Filipino Freethinkers // RH Bill discussion Twin-Skies 11 19,575 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Last Post: clonezero
  2010 RP Elections Discussion Thread Sforza 159 176,915 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Fox
  The Obama thread atdsutm 16 22,013 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Last Post: J.E_Magog