Current time: 05-15-2024, 03:36 AM
PS3 Slim
You may have heard about it for quite some time now, with this rumor popping up quite frequently on all the gaming news sites like Destructoid.

[Image: 139549137651132576jank.jpg]

Thing is though, even though the majority of people are saying that it's fake, I have a nagging feeling in the back of my head that somewhere inside Sony, they are planning to release a slim version.

Anyway, there's a leaked video of this PS3 Slim sighting, and it comes from the Philippines.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUBn3_5IbGE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUBn3_5IbGE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thoughts?
Ever since having terrible experiences with my slim, I won't get my hopes up for this version if it turns out to be real. All I can say is that sony should try to market their current ps3 console first, instead of crunching out new models every few months, and now this-the ps3 is already pretty much behind the other two consoles, and I don't think people would be inclined to buy this, even after price cuts.

also, the big one is pretty efficient so far when it comes to cooling. wonder how this thing would do

BUT, then again-"it's not yet available in other countries" ......sold! Jason
(07-13-2009, 04:27 PM)arch_angel Wrote: Ever since having terrible experiences with my slim

What slim? PS2? PSP?

And yeah cooling is the number one thing I'm considering for this newer slim model - or at least, in the real one that Sony is cooking up somewhere. You can see here that a gigantic fan is needed in the current model. Hard drive capacity would be next. Last thing I would be worried about would be lessened power of the CPU/GPU because of the smaller space.

The thing is though, I agree with Destructoid's sentiments on why the PS3 is not really taking off as well as Sony would like it to, outside of the hardware perspective (you can tell I'm reading quite heavily from their site nowadays). It's all because of this arrogant, lofty air around some of their people that turns people off.
He's talking about his slim PS2 that died on him. LOL

One reason why I dislike the current PS3 is that it consumes more electricity than a refrigerator! If a smaller PS3 will be cheaper and more energy efficient, I might just finally buy one.
My general take on it is:

If they don't think it'll work, they won't make it.

Though I'll readily say that the PS2 is superior to the slim version, I was still pretty satisfied with what I got with my PS2 Slim. Especially the portability. I could pack it with a bunch of other stuff and not worry too much about the lens so long as I don't do anything really really stupid. I think in general the original PS3 will also be superior to its possible slim version however its slim version will offer a much cheaper option for those who will have a hard time affording the original model.

If it plays out as the PS2 did, the slim version will allow more people to play PS3, raising game sales, attracting game developers to the PS3 platform once again. I mean, think about it, not a lot of games are out on the PS3, only a handful of them are promising and even less are notably good. So my say on the rumor is that the chances it's real is really high.
The rumors are getting more and more rampant.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/sony-...kmart-300/

EDIT: Why do I feel I've posted this before?
Hours later at GamesCon, they reveal it to be true. Finally.

$299, consumes 34% less power, takes up 32% less space. Sounds nice.

[Image: 24135745-315d2e93f0fba1f8de87e4c891cdd79...scaled.jpg]

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/sony-...immer-ps3/
Finally, a competitive price point for the PS3. Hopefully we'll be seeing more gamers upgrading their systems this time around. Hope it doesn't have any cooling issues that the PS2 slim once had.
I'll probably buy one, depending on how far away Hemp lives LOL
May natanggal bang features besides that OS thing?
I live in 12th along main street...don't remember the exact address on the top of my head....
is that far from the "green" zones?
also, is it far from where you live?

oh yeah, i figured out and tinkered with linux...let's just say omg windows is sooooo user friendly!
anyway i got youtube vids up and running, installed vlc, and azureus...so i guess i'm set for a simple pc.
sad thing is i can't allocate more than 10gb to linux *ps3 doesn't allow* so i have to download my files directly to my 120gb external hd. oh well.
==========It's easier to believe a lie told a thousand times than a truth you've never heard before==========

February 1938 - Popular Mechanics Magazine: “NEW BILLION-DOLLAR CROP”

[Image: 1234234723396-1-1-1.jpg]
(08-19-2009, 03:57 PM)J.E_Magog Wrote: May natanggal bang features besides that OS thing?

Yan at yung backwards-compatibility lang ang wala. Pero sanay na naman kami dito sa Pinas na walang backwards-compatibility eh hehe.
ako hindi T_T

Sayang masyado mga past AC games ko,orig pa naman
(08-19-2009, 07:46 PM)Hempire Wrote: I live in 12th along main street...don't remember the exact address on the top of my head....
is that far from the "green" zones?
also, is it far from where you live?

It's a bit far, but it's just one bus ride. Should take about 30 minutes or so. This is assuming you're going to New Amsterdam first.
its butt ugly imho(no connection to my past experience)