Current time: 03-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Dr. Tanya Byron's violent video games report
Long story short: Dr. Tanya Byron was assigned several months ago by the UK government to lead a research study that would delve into violent video gaming, and to see if the region's two leading ratings boards (BBFC, PEGI) were adequate to address them.

Gamesindustry has a pretty long interview with Dr. Byron, which summarizes what the research calls for.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dr...--part-one
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dr...--part-two

I invite the fellow RR members to look over the interview when they have time. controversial context aside, Dr. Byron offers some surprisingly balanced insight regarding what measures Europe could take.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Dr. Tanya Byron Wrote:We need to stop panicking, get a grip, move on in the debate and just be sensible about who plays what at what age, and what's appropriate.

I think the classification system used by the industry has not worked with parents. Parents are buying games for children the children shouldn't be playing.

Responsible parenting, but it also boils down to responsible, clear classification and labelling - there are responsibilities for retailers and they need to be supportive of that. It's also for the industry about responsible marketing. I have made recommendations around the advertising of games and that needs to be thought about, and certainly in the online space there's a lot that needs to be sorted out.

Basically, Dr. Byron proposes that the current state of classifying and advertising video games be given a facelift. While the present way of labeling video games is quite successful in the formal purpose of sorting games into the age-appropriate groups, apparently as she found out parents (who are supposed to be responsible for their children's game purchases!) are not getting the most out of it or worse, do not know it exists at all. She provides these recommendations in her report.

Personally, I'm happy: finally, a person who gets it. And test findings written in an actual report!

She was pretty sparse on the details on the actual correlation between video games and violence, but basically she said yes, there was a connection, however "unclear" it was.

Dr. Tanya Byron Wrote:The research around the interactivity... the jury is still out. But, I don't know whether you got through the psychology part of my report, where I talked about neuro-statistical learning in the mirror neuron system. There is very, very new research that looks at how children learn at a neural level. Children respond to actions, young children do. Action-related experiences can be important in the laying down, at a neural level, of the way we behave.

I didn't want to add to the speculation and the polarisation of the debate and then say, 'therefore it is really clear'. Because it isn't really clear, because we're just thinking about these different kinds of neural networks involved in learning, and I'm not going to jump the gun and say things that we don't know yet. But I think at a level of brain function, if you look at the way that children set their expectations of people's behaviour at the neural level, if you look at things like the mirror neuron system where action can actually have an impact on the way neural networks are set out, and that has an impact on behaviour.

But here's the clincher, which people like Jack Thompson seem to always always miss:

Dr. Tanya Byron Wrote:So for me it's a no-brainer really. Let's just play it at that level, at the level children think and learn, and find a system supports the industry, supports the rights of adults so there are adult content games should they want them, but also really make sure that children are playing the games that do [help them].

A balanced view, which is all the industry was asking for regarding the subject.

Bravo, madam. Clapping

For the brave of heart, here's the full 226-page report.
theGrim Wrote:She was pretty sparse on the details on the actual correlation between video games and violence, but basically she said yes, there was a connection, however "unclear" it was.

Careful - there is a very big difference between correllary, and causational findings.

A guy who gets lung cancer from long-term smoking is a causational relationship; gaming and aggression share a correlary relationship - just because both factors increase at the same time does not mean they're directly linked.

Most anti-gaming pundits usually try to convince their audience that it's a causational relationship, which unprofessional, imho.
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Games you are planning to play. Goat 466 659,279 03-31-2018, 07:31 AM
Last Post: J.E_Magog
  Mobile games thread Lord_Leperman 6 10,299 03-19-2018, 04:55 PM
Last Post: zero_kanipan
  Games "Like" Armored Core Lord_Leperman 1 4,615 03-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Last Post: zero_kanipan
  Top 5 games of all time Ar D'Leon 27 33,376 10-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Serene
  Obscure/Retro Mech Games NiX 2 14,008 10-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Goat
  5 Ways Video Games are Turning You Into an Addict Sforza 5 9,356 06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Last Post: clonezero
  Flash games Lord_Leperman 9 15,042 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Last Post: clonezero
  3D Mode on All PS3 Games Grim 3 7,090 09-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Shintetsu
  NDS Emulator Games Shintetsu 5 9,369 06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Sforza
  E3 2009 games announced atdsutm 8 14,174 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Hempire