Current time: 03-29-2024, 01:18 AM
Final Fantasy XIII
50 hours into this game, and I must say that it's absolute and utter garbage.

The gameplay is about as linear as a first person shooter's campaign. Instead of your trademark final fantasy exploration and freedom, you're left with a series of passage ways and the ONLY dynamic of the game is its many, many, tireless and endless fights. The story is completely nonexistent and completely makes no sense even to the people who try to hear the characters' voices over the overbearing music in the cutscenes, or bother to read the scripts during the cutscenes. The only remote sense of freedom I got was wondering around a good sized steppe once I made it to Gran Pulse, but even that is without any real sense of exploration.

The sense of civilization and the staple aspect of wondering around towns to see what's in their weapon, armor and item shops is completely nonexistent. They replace the sense of excitement in this with a miserable console with a tiresome user interface. The battle system is unique and is way more balanced and properly designed than some of the older shitholes the series once had (cough, FF8), the fights themselves are extremely tiresome and repetitive. I could care less about only controlling one character while assigning the other two AI roles.

The characters themselves are rendered beautifully, but only the main characters. Randoms might as well have come from playstation home. Graphics in general are not as good as they're made out to be, but the game employs some nifty tricks in having your surroundings be easier to render manmade objects and low polygon structures. Ground texture is complete garbage at anything beyond 10 feet from you (what did you expect it's a console game with no anisotropic filtering) and lighting leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, this game reeks of Japanese faggotry. The cutscenes and characters are oversaturated with over-the-top bitter melodrama, while some of the characters themselves are of poor design. Vanille's english voice actress might as well be a full size speaker's tweeter shoved into your ear, and her australian accent is extremely inconsistent. Serah looks like she's no more than 9 years old, but considering it's a Japanese game, I wouldn't put it past them to make half of their women characters very young child-like looks.

I give this game a 4/10.
^ Completely agree with everything mentioned above. I dislike this game.
So much hatred~ But ah well. I generally disliked how linear the entire thing was, but enjoyed it nonetheless, though battles could get repetitive at times. Needs more free-roam~

And guess what~ They're making an FFXIII - 2. Only time will tell if it's another Trolololol by Squeenix or actually something appealing to most people XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Fantasy VII Remake Mjting 7 8,800 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Mjting
  Final Fantasy Versus XIII atdsutm 9 13,372 08-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Zefyr
  Final Fantasy 13-2 RoninFang 0 2,505 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Last Post: RoninFang
  Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy Fox 13 15,136 04-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Last Post: RoninFang
  Dissidia: Final Fantasy Doom Trigger 26 28,322 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Jask