Current time: 05-23-2024, 03:27 PM
MHF2 and MHP2G (PSP)
I noticed that a few people here are considering starting, picking up, or becoming more serious with MHF2 again. I decided to write a cute guide on how to get to HR4 as quickly as possible, because that's arguably where the real fun starts.

When you reach HR4, you get:

1. Access to previously unavailable (and godly) upgrades to weapons and armor.

2. Access to two special monsters (Akantor and Fatalis), as well as special versions of Rathalos, Rathian, Lao Shan Lung and Kushala Daora.

3. You become near invincible when fighting against monsters below HR4 ranked quests.

4. Lastly, you get a much higher level of difficulty LOL

Sforza's speed run guide to HR4-6

Don't forget to download the extra content, and to use and upgrade the Pokke Farm before every mission

First, finish the following quests:

To unlock Village Chief two star quests, finish the ff. one star quests: (main targets in parenthesis)

- Hunt the carnivore! (giaprey)
- Sinking feeling (deliver popo tongues by killing popos)
- Slay the Blangos! (blango)
Urgent: The Carnivorous Leader (giadrome)

To unlock Village Chief three star quests, finish the ff. two star quests:

- Reckless bulldrome hunter (bulldrome)
- Jungle Menace (kut-ku)
- Rarest of the rare beasts (congalala)
- Liver of legend! (deliver piscine livers by killing cephalos)
Urgent: Shadow in the Snow (khezu)

* Get kut-ku armor set and weapon upgrades at shop *

To unlock Village Chief four star quests, finish the ff. three star quests:

- Blango slaying tactics (blango)
- The lurking desert giant (daimyo hermitaur)
- Gypceros: venomous terror (gypceros)
- a killing from mushrooms (just pick mushrooms)
Urgent: the ruler of the snow (Blangonga)

* once you reach four star village chief quests, get the iron striker+ hammer by mining for dragonite ore at the volcano map. Then unlock yian garuga by killing 10 yian kut-ku. Get a full set of yian garuga armor. Yian Garuga is available as a four star quest *

To unlock Village Chief five star quests, finish the ff. four star quests:

- Battle of the Blos (monoblos)
- Basarios: Unseen Peril (basarios)
- Commander in the Flames (shogun ceanataur)
- More Coal Please (just mine for coal)
Urgent: Absolute Power (tigrex Happy)

* Once the five star quests are unlocked, kill the gravios and upgrade the iron striker+ hammer into the anvil hammer *

* END of village chief quests!*

Now, to get from HR1 to HR2, go to the offline gathering hall and finish the following THREE star quests with your anvil hammer and garuga armor. Seriously, you won't need any other weapon but a hammer to finish the game.

- Giadrome Assault
- The land shark
- the lurking desert giant
- the mischief maker
Urgent: the ruler of the snow

To get from HR2 to HR3, finish the ff. four star quests:

- the shadow in the cave
- the master of the giant lake
- evening hermitaur sonata
- pincer through the sky
- trouble in the forest
- the ioprey leader
Urgent: absolute power

To get from HR3 to HR4, finish the ff. five star quests:

- the runaway diablos
- valor in the swamp
- the king's domain
- the queen's descent
urgent quest: the approaching gaoren

While finishing the HR4 quests, be sure to get the Hermitaur S armor set for the sake of having a very good lancer set and a decent S-rank armor set. Ditch the Garuga armor. Mine the snowy mountains for carbalite ore ASAP and upgrade to the War stamp hammer, then on to the onslaught hammer at HR5.

* Misc Notes:

1. Rathalos Soul or Empress or Borealis are actually the strongest armor sets for Village chief quests, but garuga is so b0rken at first that it'll last all the way until HR4. With the proper jewels, a ceanataur helm and gravios greaves mixed with the garuga set will make a nice guard +1, sharpness armor ability set.

2. This guide was to get to HR4 as quickly as possible, and not to pwn everything on the way. It'll improve your skills as a hunter drastically because you'll be underpowered in a few short stretches, but nothing impossible to finish.

3. Don't forget to block out roars with earplugs!

4. This was what I did to get to HR4, so I know it works.

...And we're done. Enjoy!

If you guys have any questions to do with equipment or individual items, please go ahead and ask. Comments and suggestions are very welcome.
Weapon Tier List for MHF2
...from a gamespot thread which I can't find anymore Bye

End Game (HR6, post-Fatalis/Shen/Akantor):

Top: Hammers, Great Swords, Lances
Mid-High: Hunting Horns, Dual Swords, Gunlances
Mid: Heavy Bowguns
Mid-Low: Long Swords and Light Bowguns
Bottom: Sword and Shield and Bows

Late Game (HR4-6):

Top: Hammers, Great Swords, Lances
Mid-High: Hunting Horns, Gunlances
Mid: Dual Swords, Heavy Bowguns
Mid-Low: Long Swords, and Bows
Bottom: Light Bowguns and Sword and Shield

Mid Game (4* Elder+/HR2/HR3):

Top: Hammers and Great Swords
Mid-High: Hunting Horns, Gunlances, and Heavy Bowguns
Mid: Long Swords, Lances, and Sword and Shield
Mid-Low: Light Bowguns and Dual Swords
Bottom: Bows

Early Game (1*-3* Elder or HR1):

Top: Hammers
Mid-High: Hunting Horns, Great Swords and Gunlances
Mid: Long Swords, Lances, and Sword and Shield
Mid-Low: Heavy Bowguns, Light Bowguns, and Bows
Bottom: Dual Swords

Edit: If you're going to use lances or gunlances, then for the love of cute girls with glasses, use an armor with the guard +1 or +2 ability. Great swords are awesome, but they take a lot of timing, practice, dedication, patience and love -- which is just like having a girlfriend.

Hammers are top tier through and through. It's like using Steve in Tekken 5.0
Thanks for the tips! Will start questing tonight, right after I finish crafting my resume.
Your guide is definitely not newbie friendly. It's basically just a what-to-kill guide.

Newbies will have to find out on their own how to do basic things like making mega potions, cooking meat, carving specific monster parts from which monsters, weapon trees, and the like.

But I guess that's what gamefaqs and skiesofcrimson are for.

Thanks though; I think I'll start playing this game again later tonight.
By the way, I don't think there's a guide on how to kill Kushala Daora (it's not needed, but I really wanna kill the only dragon in the game XD )
[Image: 142183_zps37998c8a.gif]
HayWire Wrote:By the way, I don't think there's a guide on how to kill Kushala Daora (it's not needed, but I really wanna kill the only dragon in the game XD )

Kill the Lao Shan Lung instead. It's that big thing which won't even fit in the diagram. It's a dragon too. Your character is the one behind the cat.

[Image: MH_Dragons.jpg]

If you still want to kill the Daora, poison it to get rid of the blower shield. When it tries to shoot you with compressed air, dodge and hit it on the side of the head. When it flies, stay one step ahead of it but not behind it because its tail will whip you. It's one of the tougher monsters in the game if you don't have an armor with wind press.
I HATE ITEM USE ANIMATION LAGS. Why does your character have to raise his or her arms every time after drinking a potion. It doesn't look cool, and it's stupid. Did Capcom run out of ideas to make the game hard? "Oh using items will be too easy, let's have five hours of character animation after using a potion so that the player gets tackled by the dragon again, and when the player gets up he'll have wasted a potion. Oh what a great idea, let's do that."

I understand the slowness of the game, in fact its closeness to combat using the weapons available is astounding. You can't swing hammers that heavy and longswords that long without being slow because you have to steady yourself. I also understand that you have to put your weapon away to use an item properly, and that sometimes you shouldn't run while using one (and in this game, you can't). I understand it takes time for you to get up after being brushed aside by tons-heavy wyverns. I just don't understand why you have to celebrate each and everytime you drink a goddamned potion, or pat your tummy each time you eat a ration.

"Strategic item use." Yeah right. More like "punish item users because they make the game too easy."
wow, it's a rant. Ninja

Anyway, item lag is because the game is played out in real time. If there was no item lag, players would be able to spam potions and its variants while holding say, a hammer. Hammers make monsters dizzy after a certain number of hits, usually opening them up to two triple pounds.

Some monsters in the game can't take a lot of hits, but hit very hard and fast. Potion spamming would allow the player to become invincible for a short period of time, probably enough to kill the monster.

...I agree that the animation looks dumb LOL
Sforza Wrote:Anyway, item lag is because the game is played out in real time. If there was no item lag, players would be able to spam potions and its variants while holding say, a hammer. Hammers make monsters dizzy after a certain number of hits, usually opening them up to two triple pounds.

I'm actually pretty OK with the fact that you have to put away your weapon to use an item, and also that actually using one entails going through some frames of animation, unlike in some RPGs where just a green tinge of something shows up with healed hitpoints.

I just don't like the fact that in spite of being in the presence of a DRAGON, your character has the inexplicable need to shove his or her arms in the air in jubilation. It's absurd. LOL

A detail I do like: increased use of stamina when running in the presence of danger. I'll agree it's counterintuitive to being a hunter (aren't they supposed to be even more ready when facing the bigger monsters?), but it's not as bullshit a mechanic as that of lagging the player after item use.

All in all though, I'm still having a great time.
Oh, you're fighting dragons already. Nice. Salute

Out of curiosity, what level of missions have you been doing as of late? I hope my guide was of some use.
I'm still on the village elder 4 star quests, trying to get past Kushala Daora. I'm not yet properly equipped though, I'll have to farm a few more Garugas for that.

And yes, your guide is what I've been using up to now. 37 hours is the official count but factor in resets I'll say I've played for about 60+ already.

Currently aiming for having True Devil Slicer, Onslaught Hammer, Smolder Dragonsword, and Diablos Chaos Broker near the end, along with Rathalos Soul and Akantor armor. I'm also interested in collecting Deathstench armor, Wyvern Blades Maple and Holly, Daora's Colossus, Plesioth Azureblade, King Thundersword, and the Scythe of Menace.

I have it planned out, apparently.
theGrim Wrote:I'm still on the village elder 4 star quests, trying to get past Kushala Daora. I'm not yet properly equipped though, I'll have to farm a few more Garugas for that.

And yes, your guide is what I've been using up to now. 37 hours is the official count but factor in resets I'll say I've played for about 60+ already.

Currently aiming for having True Devil Slicer, Onslaught Hammer, Smolder Dragonsword, and Diablos Chaos Broker near the end, along with Rathalos Soul and Akantor armor. I'm also interested in collecting Deathstench armor, Wyvern Blades Maple and Holly, Daora's Colossus, Plesioth Azureblade, King Thundersword, and the Scythe of Menace.

I have it planned out, apparently.

Wow O.O

I'll give you an incentive of 1k to complete all those pieces of equipment LOL But I suggest getting a tanking set with guard+ because you're going to want to/have to use a lance or GL at some point.

Daora's colossus is going to be a pain to get (unless you have windpress armor). Diablos chaos broker too.

Oh if you need help with any of the monsters:

skiesofcrimson.com has a great video guide and armory section.

gamefaqs.com has guides on drop rates, monster melee weakness, and carving/capture percentages

Reign of the Rathalos has a very useful calculator for weapon effectiveness MHF2. You can find it here:
http://www.reign-of-the-rathalos.com/mhf...age_id=218
Sforza Wrote:Reign of the Rathalos has a very useful calculator for weapon effectiveness MHF2. You can find it here:
http://www.reign-of-the-rathalos.com/mhf...age_id=218

Thanks for this! I just found out the Smolder LS does only 53 damage per hit on Lao. Blink

I used SoC when that white penis wyvern killed me everytime. It was a blast watching another player pwn it, haha.
Where do you get Thunder Sacs? I need it for the True Devil Sword right now LOL

Good news - I have the Onslaught...yey...bad news...I can't seem to kill anything in HR5 with the armor I have right now Argh

So...does anyone wanna help or give suggestions?
[Image: 142183_zps37998c8a.gif]
Thunder sacs are carved from the Khezu.

I think once you get to HR5 or 6 the monsters get really hard? I heard they only need 4 or 5 shots (Fatalis only needs one - scary) to down you. I wouldn't know of any specifics though, I'm not that far along yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  need help converting (MHF2 to MHP2G) cheezyfries 1 4,500 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Black Dragon