Current time: 06-18-2024, 01:41 AM
Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure
Security is always a trade-off. I know people who rarely lock their front door, who drive in the rain (and, while using a cellphone) and who talk to strangers. In my opinion, securing my wireless network isn't worth it. And I appreciate everyone else who keeps an open wireless network, including all the coffee shops, bars and libraries I have visited in the past. You all make the world a better place.

The above article above makes the following arguments for and against securing home Wi-Fi networks:

+ Basic politeness to others / visitors
+ Coffee shops within a mile of your house offer it too
+ Open Wi-Fi can be a legal defense (burden of proof) against IP tracking when it comes to tracing illegal content -- "Someone else used my network!"
+ It's easy to know if the leech is a neighbor, and it'll be more fun to make his/her internet upside down or blurred instead.

- Possible stolen passwords
- People parking outside house to send spam and download illegal things
- (For those with static IPs) Your IP might get blacklisted from some services because of things other people who use your connection do
- Possible visit from police because of first two

Let's discuss. Are you for or against securing your wireless connection and why? If you don't, assume that you have one.

Personally I keep my Wi-Fi open so visitors can feel more comfortable. To me, it's like serving water. Another reason is that ISPs in this country have a tendency of dying all of a sudden, so sometimes relatives and friends come on emergency visits.

Lastly, I try to maximize my bandwidth as much as possible because PLDT is a f*cktard isp that throttles the bandwidth of its consumers that are considered heavy downloaders. I know this because I've been called by company reps 3 times already over the past few years to double check what my subscription was, and my connection speed mysteriously jumps up late at night, every night -_-

Messages In This Thread
Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure - by Sforza - 01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
RE: Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure - by NiX - 01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
RE: Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure - by Sforza - 01-10-2008, 11:22 PM
RE: Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure - by Grim - 01-10-2008, 11:25 PM
RE: Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure - by NiX - 01-10-2008, 11:36 PM
RE: Wi-Fi: To secure or not to secure - by NiX - 02-18-2008, 11:41 PM