Current time: 09-24-2024, 03:17 PM
Frakkin Flood n' Rain
http://www.theage.com.au/world/philippin...-g8o4.html

more heroes right here. mas bata pa cxa saken! @_@
[Image: th_tumblr_lk9u9uH6yu1qbacrgo1_500.gif]
Yep. It's a trooper. My mom tried to get it to Honda to have it checked and serviced but they already received somewhere around 150 plus cars by 2 pm
Wow.. I'm still alive. No damage incured(both shops and haus all intact). Quite the miracle considering that we live in a very flooded area(we almost always have floods in our area even in the slightest rainfall). Yes business was bad these past few days, but hey, we're all alive.. Hope everybody's ok tho..

Ardjin: Good to knw ya got out of thr alright, I heard that mall was submerged pretty damn well, and ya helped ppl along the way too.

Sero: Quite the adventure there, I'm glad ya got outa there ok..
This is also a punishment for you.
You will be the defender of justice and wear a mask forever,
you won't be able to live as yourself.
You will sacrifice all your happiness for the world.. Eternally..
(Last words to Zero - Lelouch Vi Britania)
A video and some more photos.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fpS-cCAMQH8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fpS-cCAMQH8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
UERM looking like a toilet being flushed. And no, I don't intend for that to sound funny in any way.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31...412&ref=nf --> Related photos. Dunno if it's public.

[Image: 10327_142891260431_521835431_2802685_5133477_n.jpg]
Bridge acting as a net for all sorts of debris

[Image: 10327_142890225431_521835431_2802664_6615394_n.jpg]
Displaced people
to the people who got your house flooded? Jake/mix?

hows the situation there? has it subsided?

did anyone texted raffy?
It's not easy to watch people getting swept away. Reminds me of the tsunami several years ago.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glance/868590...ila-floods
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImWhD5TXwq0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImWhD5TXwq0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On a better but equally tragic note:

Soldier saves 20 before drowning in Laguna
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?art...egoryId=63

Quote:MANILA, Philippines - A soldier saved 20 people from raging floodwaters during rescue operations but lost his own life when he drowned later in Famy town, Laguna.

Rescuers recovered yesterday the body of Army Private First Class Venancio Ancheta after he was swept away by rushing floodwaters while rescuing residents at the height of storm “Ondoy.”

Ancheta, member of the Alpha Company of the 16th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, was among six rescuers who died while helping flood victims in Laguna.

Troops also recovered the bodies of Army Cpl. Adriano Regua and Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit militiamen Joel Hernalin, Erineo Olaguer, Florencio Dequino, and Pedro Falcon in Barangay Nanguma in Mabitac town, Laguna.

Two more CAFGU militiamen were still missing as of press time.

“Ancheta was able to save 20 people from the raging floods before he was swept away,” said Lt. Col. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos, army spokesman.

Soldiers from the 16th Army Infantry Battalion and the 1st IB based in Cavinti, Laguna were also still looking for their missing colleagues.

Philippine man loses own life after saving dozens from floods
http://www.theage.com.au/world/philippin...-g8o4.html

Quote:An 18-year-old construction worker braved rampaging floods in the Philippines to save more than 30 people, but ended up sacrificing his life in a last trip to rescue a baby girl and her mother who were being swept away on a styrofoam box.

Desperate relief effort amid rising death toll

Family members and people who Muelmar Magallanes saved have hailed the young man a hero, as his body lay in a coffin at a makeshift evacuation centre near their destroyed Manila riverside village.
Residents east of Manila go to all lengths to escape neck-deep flood waters.

Philippines residents go to all lengths to escape neck-deep flood waters. Photo: Reuters

"I am going to be forever grateful to Muelmar," said Menchie Penalosa, the mother of the six-month-old girl whom he carried to safety before being swept away himself. "He gave his life for my baby. I will never forget his sacrifice."

A moment of silence for those who have truly lived above and beyond the call of duty...

[Image: old_snake_salutes.jpg]
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
Oh man. I guess I'll cancel all leisure stuff tomorrow to help out. Took me long enough to react Facepalm

Baliktad oras ko ngayon, sleep at day, up at night. Anyway, I have a chance to help out tomorrow at ABS-CBN with a couple of my mom's acquaintances..to repack food.
@ Shintetsu

What time are you gonna be at ABS-CBN?
[Image: totallyrandomkane.gif]
hi guys its good that every one is ok well were fine here at cavite but my office in paranque was not that fortunate lagpas tao ung baha at bumigay ang pader nang naia
if you know yourself and your enemy you will never fear the results of a hundred battles if you know yourself but not the enemy for every victory you will suffer a defeat if you dont know yourself neither your enemy you will lose at every battle.<br />sun tzu, the art of war
Yeah NAIA became a pier instead of an airport.

Mix was finally able to go online a few minutes ago. I guess he'll post a little later.
I salute all those who have given their time, effort and LIVES, to help and save those who've really been hit hard by Ondoy.

I'm safe, and I'm glad to see mostly everyone is too. I'm currently in Project 4, QC, because as of yesterday the basin of Marikina/Pasig/Cainta/Lower Antipolo was still filled with water.

During Saturday, the height of the water in our village reached higher than 7 feet, I'd say. Inside of the house reached waist deep, and like Twin our 2 refs were floating quite merrily inside the living roof. It was like I was in the flooded hold of a pirate ship, darkness included.

Good thing though is that we were able to get most of our stuff on the first floor, up on the second. Bad thing is we couldn't bring up many of our other kitchen appliances, and all our cars. They're now waiting to be towed to the mechanic me and my dad know so that they can start to be fixed.

During the storm, I was trying to keep in close contact with Ice, but it was hard as she had to turn her phone off periodically to save the batteries. Their first floor was already submerged when the water in our village was still just knee deep, and rain wasn't stopping in the afternoon, so I had a real cause for concern. Also, in our house we were regularly checking on the water levels, because if worse came to worst we really had to evacuate to the roof. Good thing it didn't happen. But honestly, I don't think I've prayed harder in my life.

There were 10 people and our dog in our house that night: me, my cousin who lives in Laguna but stays with us during schooldays, my 2 sisters, our 2 househelp, the young daughter of our neighbor and her yaya who were entrusted to us by her parents (they only had a one-story house), our dog Cloey, and 2 of my friends who spent the night after we went out on Friday, but were stuck in my house because of the rains.

I realized after getting connected and back online that what I went through was already better off than what many others experienced. One of my friends who stayed the night was calling his family periodically, at one point he was already panicking since the water inside their house had already almost filled the first floor, and their second floor had no exit to the roof. My other friend had it even worse: his house was in Provident, Marikina, the subdivision that's really being heard these days. His brother and their househelp were the only two people in the house that night, good thing they had a neighbor who had a house with more than one story, because even standing on their own roof the water was ankle/knee-deep already. In pitch-black darkness.

I guess I'll end this post with a repost of my other friend who also lives in Provident. It's a haunting read, but I think it perfectly encapsulates the emotions many of us went through:

WORST 24 HOURS OF MY LIFE...BAGYO, BAHA, BUBONG, BANGKAY!

as you all know, we just experienced a natural disaster. pag-asa said it rained more last night than all of september put together...and we've had some downpours this month.here's a recap of the WORST 24 hours of my life which totally changed me...

9am- i wake up...the water is starting to rise.it is already in our backyard at about 3 inches deep..

10am- the water starts to rise so we start moving out our cars to higher ground..our street isn't called RIVERSIDE for no reason...we are literally next to marikina river...meaning, it's where it floods the most. the main road is higher ground so we moved our cars there.

we start to move our things..valuables were moved upstairs (mostly me since im the only one with my bedroom on the first floor). the rest of the stuff like refs, freezers, tables, were elevated on stacks of chairs to keep them from getting wet.

11am- the water reaches the 4th stair of the staircase. people are still trying to salvage what they can by bringing it upstairs or elevating it..all for naught. by this time we prepare for the worst.we packed all our valuables, documents, and some change of clothes in case we need to abandon the house. i thought this was exaggerated and the water wouldnt reach us upstairs...i was wrong.

1130- "the boys" (my dad's employees/personal trainers/all-around handymen) come with his kayak, with instructions to take us out one by one out of provident...he calls me to say to take charge and lead them out. we didnt, thinking the water wouldnt reach..

12nn- the water suddenly surges at a fucking high rate, hardly giving us time to think...we look at the road, the current was like 20 kph..we find out THEY FUCKING OPENED THE DAM releasing all the water on our street and into the village. he kayak option is too late and we head for the roof from the highest point of the house.

there were about 15 of us, 1 of them a 2 month old baby just today. we struggle to get to the roof but succeed. the wind- blinding and furious enough to send a child's arms flailing if not crossed together... the rain- like sharp icicles stabbing at you from every direction.we eventually settle down in the roof, which had 4 levels.the first was submerged, we were in the 2nd and 3rd, the kids under a small crevice that overlapped the 3rd and 4th levels, thankfully giving them shade. i looked around and saw people on roofs everywhere, totally exposed.

1pm-12mn-RAIN...WIND...putangina i admit ive never been more scared.the kayak left to see if it was possible to take us out...10 hours later, they havent returned. i watched helplessly as the water rose...slowly, gradually...as if taunting me.everyone's praying aloud ,singing christian songs...i pray in silence. as i sat shivering in the cold, the kids sheltered, my parents and grandparents shelterd yet still cold and wet, i begin to feel the weight of it all. "OK, wake up" i visibly recall myself saying, hoping this was all just a dream. the physical battle was fucking hell...the mental battle was fucking HELL!!! eto na nearest break down point ko...the only things keeping me strong were the concerned friends and the knowledge that too many people needed an anchor to be strong for me to flake out. they were all kids and my grandparents with some household help.

at around 5pm our superhero arrives..i see my dad, swimming in the muddy flood.he parked his car in cubao, ran till riverbanks, and swam/canvassed roofs, till he got to us.fucking superman.all tired, cut, and bloody, he begins to plan the night ahead. it's like a huge weight was taken off my shoulders. i was most worried for my grandparents who were out in the fucking rain all day and night! luckily we found several trapals and wood..we made a makeshift shelter for them.

as night pushed on, the rain became drizzle, which came and went...mostly leaving us alone. but the damage was done..all we could do was wait. thankfully, by sunrise, the water was now down to the first level.

8-9am- we hear news from my dad's contact that they will be reopening the dam again at 3pm...so we decide not to wait for the water to subside completely and leave. my dad and i took them out on the kayak one at a time.2 riding, my dad and i pulling and pushing through the flood (hello mud, ipis, ahas, shit, etc)... when we got to the gate...it was the worst sight ive ever seen...

the gate- DISASTER AREA...tired, sweaty, wet, muddy, fucked up utterly...cars toppled everywhere, patong-patong...trucks and small boats of afp, marines, police, and local government finally helping people out. as we are standing there, i see the faces of people walking by with look on their face that exemplifies the meaning of suffering. i survey them, one by one...i realize what has happened...what i feared most...DEATH...since they werent in our street, they didnt see the current was flowing so fast already. they stayed inside and realized too late that they werent going to make it..i was recounted of the cries for help, the screams of fear...then...silence. PUTANG INA my heart broke, my knees got weak, and i started to fucking cry. i see people walking out, crying their hearts out..i know why...it wasnt the cry over lost possession...you could see it in their eyes. they were living hell on earth...the hell of losing someone.

and i learn people had a conference on the CHURCH! they were locked in and werent able to leave! putang ina may mga namatay sa simbahan?!?! WTF IS GOING ON?!?! it seems hard to feel happy and rejoice being alive and well when you hear of these things. everything was such a fucking mess.

in the end, we walk to riverbanks and we were fetched by my uncle..our cars in caltex were intact, full of mud inside, but intact. the house, full of mud, nakabalandra lahat ng gamit, basa, and wasak mga kisame...our help and the boys are fixing there as i type...

end- thank god for keeping us alive...thank you to my friends for the concern..i will forever remember you guys who kept me awake, alive, and sane, as i was almost losing my fucking mind...thanks A for everything...i miss you. your concern propped me up more than anything else. everyone who texted/called, SALAMAT SOBRA. you guys have no idea gaanong nakakalakas yun..but i mourn for my neighbors who passed during this tragedy. such an awful, painful, grim way to go..no one deserves that...may their souls rest in peace...for our village will long be in dire need of it. here's to a bittersweet smile.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
Wow this is unfortunate. I hope you guys all safe.
I'm just glad a lot of us are safe right now...

To everyone everyone who helped out and everyone who survived, Good work.
[Image: Sig07.png]

"I love chocolate-covered Sophie." A. Nina
Hey Mix, good to hear you're okay. Your friend's story shows that indeed, a lot of people had it worse than most of us.

How did you get past the flooded areas? I hope your house is fine too. There's been reports of looting in abandoned houses already.

(09-28-2009, 09:28 PM)atdsutm Wrote: to the people who got your house flooded? Jake/mix?

hows the situation there? has it subsided?

What happened in our house was a flash flood. See, there's a creek/storm drain near my house, and it spilled over. My mom said it's the first time ever that that happened. When it spilled over, the water rose so fast that we couldn't get the cars out on time. My brother/driver tried to drive the cars to higher ground while the water was rising, but the garage was a little elevated. When they got out of the garage, the water was almost chest deep and the cars just stopped working.

Right now only the van works, the all of them smell like drainage and poo.

Inside the house, the water was knee deep in most places. Our wiring is inside the walls, so the entire first floor has no electricity until now, including the landline. It's good that the water went down fairly quickly as well when the storm drain was able to contain the water again.

It's not a puny storm strain either. The thing is around 50-feet deep and about a hundred feet across. We actually have bridges in the village to cross them.

Anyway, my family is fine. They just have to worry about the repairs and how to get around because the cars don't work. There's electricity on the second floor of the house now.

This was how the park looked like at the height of the flood. That's a shed, for people:
[Image: S6302281.jpg]

Edit: Know what sucks? The weather here has been absolutely -perfect- for the past few days.

As in sunshine, cool breeze in the air, trees rustling slowly in the wind, birds chirping, happy squirrels running around in parks, trees reddening slightly because it's almost the end of summer... that sort of thing Chair

Seeing that made a lot of Filipinos here wish they were in Manila to volunteer in relief centers.