The Raven Republic Forums
Dead game franchises - Printable Version

+- The Raven Republic Forums (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://ravenrepublic.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Dead game franchises (/showthread.php?tid=1559)

Pages: 1 2

Dead game franchises - Lord_Leperman - 08-28-2008

If you're like me, you been playing video games for a good part of your life and chances are you've passed through some memorable games you wish were continued, or the gameplay mechanics so refined that you wish they'd continue to innovate the system while building on the strengths of the game itself. Its often wishful thinking, but it never hurts to imagine, and all hope is not lost. The recent announcement of Parasite Eve: 3rd Birthday has continued what I thought was a dead franchise, and a Bionic Commando sequel after almost 20 years just gives us hope that maybe our once loved game franchises will get a rebirth.

Therefore, I present here some games that I loved that their respective trademark holders might give a future lease in life (how I wish they'd do).

Metal Warriors by Konami and Lucas Arts (I don't know who developed and published the game between the two) - A side scrolling mech shooter game for the SNES. At that time in 1995, it was THE mech game to play on the SNES. You get to pilot 6 mechs in the game with varying characteristics, in addition you can go down on foot to solve puzzles and steal abandoned enemy mechs.

The thing that separated this game from other platformers and 2D shooters were the scale of its well designed levels. The size of each level was huge and each with its own theme environment. Areas range from a space colony, an asteroid base, a snowy field, a city under attack, and a huge labyrinth of a tower where you had to go through in order to escape. The shear scale of each level would make it impossible to finish if it weren't for the help of the map that you always had. The bosses were memorable as well, ranging from a giant AA cannon, a custom enemy mech suit, 3 giant crawler tanks you had to stop before they reach your base, and a giant floating enemy robot/fortress for a final boss. There was often more than one way to get across, and it usually had to do with your character going on foot to fix switches or find abandoned enemy mechs to progress through a level.

I was very surprised to find out that it wasn't related to the Valken/Leynos universe as I first suspected, and it was a wholly American made (it did feel a bit like Exosquad, which I suspect got its inspiration from along with the shooting mechanics from Valken). Sadly, being launched during the 32-bit era meant that it got little attention. A 2.5D remake/sequel would be very appropriate with the addition of new mechs and limited customizability. Co-op multiplayer can also be added which IMO is possible, but I fear that a full 3D remake/sequel will look too much like AC Tongue

Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The fall of Max Payne by Remedy entertainment - Best remembered for its bullet time gameplay and dark story line, which chronicles the life of police detective Max Payne is his quest for revenge against the lowlifes of society. I'd call the game revolutionary by bringing in the best elements of a 3rd person shooter with a movie narrative and style along with excellent shooting mechanics reminiscent of hollywood action movies. No words can substitute the gameplay that Max Payne can offer.

A movie is coming up, signaling a possible sequel tie-in, and as always, there are rumors about Max Payne 3 with the most recent one being: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169615 which says that Rockstar was now in charge of developing the rumored sequel.

Anyway, those are the two right off the bat. Any other dead game franchises that you wish to be remade or made a sequel?

RE: Dead game franchises - atdsutm - 08-28-2008

strike series (soviet,nuke,desert strike etc..)
-the series was very amazing with live actors and they almost made you feel like it was real with good acting. The game itself is great and filled with different ways to accomplish each mission with immense strategy required and management. its hard to imagine that the company who made this game was actually EA.

warzone 2100
-although received good reviews and opinion, warzone 2100 never crashed the RTS community instead everybody got into ra2 and SC. Warzone 2100 has a unique style of "strategy by design" concept and you can customize your tanks by changing the locomotion, weapon and body. the game has more than 400 technologies to be unlocked and and a pool of different weapons such as flamers, cannon, rockets, mortars, howitzers, railgun, lasers, MRLS and with much more different weapons per criteria. The gameplay is very flexible in hit n run, steamroll, turtling , siege and many more, not having the best RTS graphics of its time. Its supposedly "soul" successor was supreme commander. As of now the game is free and is being resurrected by a fanbase community which actually got the source code for the game.(i hope we also got one for AC:LR)

Act of War RTS series
Im not suprised if you havent heard about this game. its pretty much understandable. This game is dead and had a weak advertisement, but the gameplay that this game had delivered was astounding and on-par with Starcraft. The level of micro you need is almost the same if not even greater. The game has 3 factions which have diffrent styles of teching and building.

The game's know feature are bank raiding where you put infantry to raid banks and garrison while slowly taking cash withn, and other players can also infiltrate the building with their own respective infantry and fight the enemies inside. The game's lethality is greater than SC as if you forgot microing your units 1-3 second, you mightlose them as respective counters instantly kill them.

Tanks receive 3-5 shots before dieing from tanks with the SAME tier level. unlike in CNC where you need a mammoth tanks to do this. Infantry can hide in trees and fire while unnoticed. Upgrades can be bought for each unit individually instead of being universal, payment is lower of course as you can mix you units with different upgrades. Overall this is an incredibly balanced game that is on-par with SC, but was forgotten.

RE: Dead game franchises - clonezero - 08-31-2008

been lurking and finally had the time to read this and if I remember correctly it was Total Annihilation which was the "soul" successor to Supreme Commander in all ways

RE: Dead game franchises - atdsutm - 09-01-2008

lol

who knows
thats what they say anyways

but unlike both of these warzone doesnt have commander system but it has the main system of designing units

RE: Dead game franchises - clonezero - 09-01-2008

actually ... the one who made TA is the one who made SC ... and he said so...

no wonder the game is the same

its a better version of the phrase "reincarnation"

Xenosaga being the weaker example

RE: Dead game franchises - NiX - 09-01-2008

atdsutm Wrote:This game is dead and had a weak advertisement, but the gameplay that this game had delivered was astounding and on-par with Starcraft. The level of micro you need is almost the same if not even greater.

But StarCraft is totally Macro-based. WarCraft III is where micro's at.

i completely forgot that

havent played WC3 anyways lol

koreans just make it look like theres micro management on SC LOL

RE: Dead game franchises - Grim - 09-01-2008

How about Armored Core as a dead franchise? Haw haw haw.

Here's some blasts from the past:

Streets of Rage series
Known as Bare Knuckle in Japan, SOR was the beat 'em up series for the Genesis, much like Double Dragon was for the NES. I've written on this before, 2 was the best in the trilogy. Still, all three are very good, even to this day. And though I no longer have the Genesis machine, PSP emulation goes a long long way.

---

Vectorman
A run and gun adventure also on Sega's beloved machine. The two games in the series were wildly successful, but since they were released at the end of the console's life they didn't get as much attention and playtime as they could have. Which is a shame, since this is probably the best run and gun 'shmup since Contra - expansive levels, great graphics, lots of secret areas.

---

Earthbound
When you think of the great SNES RPGs, you think of Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, Legend of Mana. But for those of you who've played Earthbound know that a good, funny and engaging story can make up for a rather archaic battle system as well as simple graphics. Made by Shigesato Itoi, the game revolved around a couple of kids who save the world from a malevolent life-form known as Giygas. What sets it apart is the way it handles this oft-used plot: it's set in the present, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. If you go to that link above you'll see some people still creating fan art for it 13 years after it was released.

Earthbound was actually the second game in the series, Earthbound 0 (the first game) was released for the NES. Earthbound 3 is currently being fan translated.

---

Some more franchises I'm looking at, but haven't played yet:
ToeJam & Earl
Adventures of Lolo

clonezero Wrote:koreans just make it look like theres micro management on SC LOL

with 400 APM Nosebleed

RE: Dead game franchises - NiX - 09-02-2008

Hahah even with Koreans, it's always a trade-off between microing and macroing. But generally, solid macro in SC is far more worth it. We should play one time, kiddos.

Mix, I tried out Earthbound before. Shallow me, but I just couldn't stand the whole interface hahahh.

RE: Dead game franchises - clonezero - 09-02-2008

yeah I want to play starcraft again >_<

RE: Dead game franchises - Shintetsu - 09-02-2008

400APM? WTF does a Korean on SC?

It's already average for a DotA Player to do 150-200 APM, and that's just presumably controlling one or more units with respect to skill timing, moneyshots, and creep denials.

But then again, you've heard of Korean SC players dying, so, well, there.