The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Parthenogen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The idea is to get a huge lock box to minimize up-down aiming because I have a Type B setup and can't USE Type A. So, without further ado!

Pilot: Deuce
AC: Parthenogen

Head: CICADA (0/0/10/0/0) --For the light equip weight
Core: 770/U (10/0/0/0/0) --For OB, hangar and defense (I don't OB joust, I use OB to exit a joust)
Arms: A92XS (0/0/10/0/0) --Light equip weight, low drain, decent tracking (I think?)
Legs: VIXEN (0/0/4/0/6) --High turn speed (don't have CODON yet) and medium-high EN defense
Booster: BIRDIE2 (8/2/0/0) --High accel, decent speed, low heat (tuned for weight because my design is very weight-inefficient)
FCS: F69 --For the large lockbox
Generator: KONGOH (10/0/0) --For high refresh rate, feasible due to the lack of energy weapons (see above for weight-tune-reason)
Radiator: R92 (10/0/0) --High cooling+don't have ANANDA yet (see booster for tune reason)
Inside: N/A
Extension: N/A
Back R: KINNARA --To be used with NYMPHE
Back L: NYMPHE --Spammable, light equip weight
Arm R: NIX --Decent damage in short period of time
Arm L: WL95G --Main reason for Lite Jouster; does lots of damage, semi-light equip weight
Hangar R: SYLPH --When your aim sucks....
Hangar L: FINGER --See above.
OP Parts: AMINO, O69ES, O71EC, KISSYOH, O79L+

First thing on everyone's mind! "Why KISSYOH, for God's sake!?" To put it simply, I cannot dodge. No, no funny anecdote or witty remark tacked on the end of that. I boosthop, I skate, I do everything in my power; but I cannot dodge. I suck. This coincides with the reason for VIXEN and being a lightweight. I cannot turn, either. Which goes on to coincide with the reason for the HUGE lockbox that I am so obviously trying to get: I cannot aim. These three reasons bring me here with my pathetic design, in search of help.

I should mention now that I've not even gotten past 2448 in the Arena, and have very little unlocked. That being said, feel free to give advice that requires parts I don't have if I can get them in missions. You just have to tell me, y'know, WHICH missions to get them in.

The basics required for the design fix I desperately need are: a mission-based AC which can either...
A) dodge AI attacks without skills (i.e. has more speed than most tracking can compensate for)
OR
B) withstand most attacks with nary a scratch (i.e. has enough defense to annul 67% of all attacks, or at least reduce them to 40-200 AP damage a hit).
It must be capable of destroying mission ACs with impunity, crushing their tiny skulls and laughing at their immense pain... Or at least taking them down fast enough that they won't eat it alive. It must require little to no aiming skills, to the point that unless my target is directly over my head I should never have to tilt the POV more than 40 degrees in either direction. Also important is ammunition (I have such horrible aim), not relying on the left hand weapon very much (or at all if possible), accuracy, and -- pay close attention to this one -- very easy energy/heat management. All of these points my current design fails miserably on. Hell, all of these points ALL of my designs fail on. The only way I can beat a Pulverizer is by standing in front of it with the LX pointed up in it's ugly schnozz and a blade (LB3 or TAROS, usually) on hand.

This said? Good luck and HAVE AT IT.

--Etienne Noir
Boy, did you just pop outta nowhere or what? Tongue

Seriously though, here we go:

The reason as to why dodging and evasion is considered a fundamental skill in playing the game competitively, is because nothing will survive without it. Heck, even tanks have to find ways to dodge or they'd get pwned big time. So while your design does give me some reason to believe that it is part of your difficulty, not being able to play against you, you will have to evaluate your dodging skills yourself. Oh wait... you did that. Lol.

So naturally, knowing where you need to improve, the next step is to practice it. No one gets good at this game just thinking about it (although visualization is a very big component). I suggest you do some practice runs against the AI in the test arena. Its rifle should be easy enough to weave in and out of, since it's all based on timing your boosting.

Anyway, there are also successful techniques that come highly recommendable when dodging. The most simple one is the jink. To execute a jink, just strafe in one direction while boosting or boost-hopping, then before a missile / round threatens to hit you, switch direction. The basic premise of this is that you're leading whatever's coming towards you in one direction, only for you to juke at the last moment, making most (if not all) of the projectiles miss. This should be doubly easier for you since you use the old-school controls, as I find those to be very receptive to this type of maneuver.

A more advanced type of maneuver, the twitch dodge, is executed by rapidly pressing the shoulder buttons (or to whatever buttons you have mapped strafing to) alternately. This will make your AC seem to wiggle in place, or twitch. When done correctly, it also manages to make weapons miss, even at close range, especially when playing against the AI. But you should reserve this for when you're more comfortable with jinking.

I can basically say the same for your aiming. Practice, practice and more practice. Fight against some AI that flies (like Omega in the EX Arena) and you'll get the hang of it.

Armored Core was never really easy to jump into, but it's doubly rewarding when you can finally manage to do well, and especially so in a competitive setting.

With that, let's go on to the design, but take note that this requires you to accept the fact that you will need to dodge, and aim:

I said earlier that I had reason to believe that part of the reason as to why you're finding it hard to dodge is because of your setup. It's too heavy for the legs you chose, in short. Even if you made concessions towards the head and arms, the core and the dual backmounts bring the weight back up to where it would be otherwise, if you hadn't put on the /U core.

My suggestions for this design are first and foremost to switch the /U to something else. Even if you don't use OB, it's nice to be able to move fast when you do click it on. Tongue Yes, the /U drains very little when OBing, but it does so while giving you mediocre power. There are better choices. Try the Atlas (for long boosting times), the Helios (for cool OBing, especially out of a close combat frenzy) or the UL2 (a balanced combination of heat and power). Just be careful not to boost at the charge-up phase of the OB though, that'll send you into overheating everytime.

If you're having trouble with your energy management, don't bother with OB. Stick to the standard cores, of which many are good. U2, U3, 99UL. Or how about EO cores for more killpower? E2 is a good, lightweight choice.

Next, the Birdie2. This is a usable booster, and even more so with the Kongoh because it drains a lot per use, perfect for the generator's quick refresh. However, this setup will keep you grounded and relegated to boost-hopping for the majority of the match, because your generator's capacity is low. While this tactic may work, it's always nice to be able to have the flexibility to mix up your attack patterns. Plus, Kongoh is very hot for OB (when you do OB). Try the combination of the Gull + Lotus or Vulture2 + G91. Finally, switch to Ananda when you can, and stick with it. It's the only radiator you'll ever need.

You said in your description of the backmounts that they are to be used together. Now since you can only use one backmount at a time, this arrangement ends up becoming unnecessary weight. Worse, it'll lengthen the time you spend cycling through your weapons. I suggest dropping one or the other. Kinnara is more useful up close. Nymphe, for medium to longer ranges. If you want, use relation missile extensions to boost the effectiveness of your salvos. Some good choices are RM, Gar, Gar2 and RM3.

Your hand combo is workable. Nix is a good gun. But since you want a great big boost, use the HP handgun and put it on your left. That will make ANY lockbox bigger, seriously. Switch that with your current lefty grenade launcher and put an 81G on your right hand. You end up with pretty much the same killpower, for arguably more accuracy and range, with better heat coming from the rounds. If you think you can handle it, switch to the F73H FCS, as it is the premiere one for dual gunning use. Monju is also a viable choice since it makes your missiles (the Kinnara especially) lock on quicker.

Sylph is a great hanger weapon. Finger is usable. But we here at the Republic find that dual 69Hs (handguns) do the job just as well, if not better.

Oh, I just have to point this out:

Etienne_Noir Wrote:It must be capable of destroying mission ACs with impunity, crushing their tiny skulls and laughing at their immense pain... Or at least taking them down fast enough that they won't eat it alive.
We got a live one here! Big grin

EDIT: I forgot the specify which missions you should take to get the parts. But since you found us from GameFAQs, I suppose you already know where to look, no?
Grimlok, you may have your two dozen flayed babies and 700 virgin sacrifices immediately.

Using the EX Arena, I took Zuben El Genubi (a Raven I am embarassed to admit having trouble with) into Military District, the one arena I lost in to even -MUMU-. Mumu, for the love of all that is holy: MUMU! Yes, the one with the parrying blade!

....Ahem. I'm finished. On to the bragging!

I managed to get hit very little. Ended with 5000 AP overall -- nice, cause I started with a little over 7000. My final accuracy percents were: OVERALL: 41%, KINNARA: 40%, 14/70; HP: 57%, 7/42; 81G: 40%, 15/15; 69H(L): 0%, 0/72; 69H®: 47%, 72/72; RM3: 12%, 8/36. His final overall percent.. 26%. This is sad, because the only percentage higher than 18% out of all his weapons was a 71% with the linear rifle. (Hint: not a single missile had a chance.)

Your suggestions will be forever remembered; thanks for everything.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an occult ritual to perform in order to A: deify Grimlok, and then B: give him eternal control of all things AC.

And with that, I'm gone! *And so he is!*

--Etienne Noir
learn how to use R2 and L2. put your middle fingers to work! Big grin
Good to hear you've done it. Now move on to a harder AI. Smile)

Etienne Wrote:HP: 57%, 7/42
Here's the secret to the HP: nothing beats it in it's range, which is quite good for a handgun. However judging by this, it looks like your left trigger finger is quite itchy, lol. Don't waste your valuable HP ammo: wait for the red lock on the left side (the little text there) to appear before letting loose with the lefty weapons. A red lockbox (that is, the whole thing) doesn't necessarily mean that your left weapon is locked, or is even in range for that matter.