The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Old Thunder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
R Arm: VE-66LRB
L Arm: VP-66LH
R Back: Vvc-70VPM
L Back: Vvc-706PM

Head: VP-44D
Core: VE-40A
Arms: AR-012 MELANDER C3
Legs: 2C-3000 WRECKER

Booster: BST-G2/P06SPD
FCS: FC-008 TALBOT
Generator: VE-20C
Expansion: Assault Armor

So, here is what I've been using lately. I don't have a screenshot of it, but I do at least have some footage saved:

1v1

3v3 (featuring Franko!)

1v1 with TJ

I was having a hard time finding something I was comfortable with, mostly because I'm old. So I tried to come up with some rules to give me focus, on my first build. They were as follows:

1. Aim for stability, even if it means losing defense or speed
2. Aim for responsiveness, even if it means losing top speed
3. Focus on close range battle
4. If you're going to lose, make sure it's you and not the machine
5. No tanks

I came up with the machine above, but using a HU-BEN and ZIMMERMAN, with OCELLUS FCS. It worked really well, and felt great. I've since changed it to what you see above (double barrel laser rifle and laser handgun)...and I think this is working even better, for me.

In terms of piloting, the idea was to focus on getting to mid-range, and feel them out from there. If I think my best bet is to close the gap, I will...but if I think that's a bad idea, I stay at mid-range. The plasma missiles are really effective at both ranges, but better in close (when I have them busy). The vertical plasma missiles are extremely stable and effective for applying pressure and keeping folks from getting too comfortable. As for handhelds, the laser pistol charge attack is a burst fire shot, which works wonders if you're really close, or if you dodge a cannon shot. It's otherwise an extremely stable and safe gun to use. It basically is just an easier-to-use laser rifle. I can't say enough good things about it. As for the laser rifle...it's the biggest one I got, aside from the KRSV. It's big and heavy, but hits like a truck and is pretty accurate, even at mid-range. Also, you can push the gas on it and machine gun out a few rounds, if you are willing to overheat it. It has a massive charge shot, too.

I try to use assault boost to close gaps and chase folks. Otherwise, I stick to standard boost and boost hopping as much as I can. I try to limit the quick boost because I'm expecting to max out the generator often, and also because I felt it would be easier for me to not focus on using it for anything aside from simple position adjustments. Also, because I prioritized stability instead of defense, I went with the 44D head and WRECKER legs. I have tons of stability, and while it won't protect me against the biggest attacks, it will protect me from everything else...which is hopefully all I need to blow the other guy up.
I've been running something similar to this with a midweight dual laser rifle on the VE20B. I personally love the arm weapon combo, you got a heavy hitter on the right, and a chip damage weapon on the left, with roughly similar shot velocities. Great stuff, plays like old school AC with reliance on thrust for range control. 

In your experience, how does the design fare against super aggressive Assault Boosting ACs, that get really close with high stability damage weapons?

If I'm gonna change anything right now, I'll change the DUO missiles to the Plasma verts, which are much harder to dodge, and have the same firing cycle as the 6 cell plasma missile you already have equipped.
(09-08-2023, 07:43 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]In your experience, how does the design fare against super aggressive Assault Boosting ACs, that get really close with high stability damage weapons?

Basically, I can deal with them in short doses.  Too much aggression can overwhelm me, for sure.  Usually, what I have to do is either scare them off, or find a way to get out of the pocket.  At mid-range, I can usually make up the difference in damage.

(09-08-2023, 07:43 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm gonna change anything right now, I'll change the DUO missiles to the Plasma verts, which are much harder to dodge, and have the same firing cycle as the 6 cell plasma missile you already have equipped.

I'm going to try this out...I really like this idea.  I'm concerned about the weight and drain, but it's definitely intriguing...and it does line up with the idea of the bot.  Thanks for this suggestion, I'll get back to you on it!

I'm finally on ng++, so I am looking forward to trying out that coral rifle...the one that shoots the red plasma looking rounds?  It might be a move, as well.
Double post for an update.  I've encorporated your suggestion; I am getting consistent results with the plasma verts.  It is really easy to keep someone busy between the lasers and direct fire plasma missiles, so the vert plasmas work like a charm, here.