The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Title to Come
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been years since the last time she and I talked. For some reason, it felt much longer than that. I say talked because we don't anymore. Rather, she doesn't talk to me. She goes out of her way to avoid me, and it feels like the friendship we had isn't even there anymore. That friendship feels like a distant memory. No, it doesn't even feel like a memory. It's like it never even happened. I'm not gonna say it doesn't hurt at all. That would be an outright lie. It does hurt a lot, but I try not to let it get to me. It's been years, so I've gotten used to it. Hell... I've even started trying to avoid her so I can get through my day without having to cry myself to sleep. Yeah, I'll have to say that it's the hardest feat that I've ever tried to accomplish. The girl sits right in front of me in both of my classes...

Part 1

“Hiya, Su,” one of my classmates said, taking a seat in the chair beside me.

“Hey Tim,” I replied, head buried in my arms.

“Bad day as always, huh?” Tim said, going about his usual routine and setting up his laptop to fiddle with during class.

“What do you think?”

“Yeah yeah.”

As the two of us talked about random things, a girl took a seat in the row in front of us – directly in front of me. There were plenty of seats in this lecture hall, and she always picked this one for some unknown reason. Closest to the person she hated, yet facing away from them. Even worse, she was always in my line of vision. I hate my life.

“Sup, Ari,” Tim said, probably to mess with me.

“What do you want?” the girl said, not even bothering to look back at him.

Tim never even tried to return Ari's offensive remarks, in fear that he may end up getting way too mad and carried away. Instead he just nudged me with his shoulder as he relaxed in his seat, and these seats weren't very comfortable.

As the time passed, the lecture hall began to fill with more students. Eventually, the professor herself would even grace us with her presence. That started the class, the very boring and droll class. The entire class time was always taken up by her talking about her travels around the world and how much of a learning experience it was.

But enough about that. While the professor was spouting her drivel to the zombies that were her entry level Cultural Studies class, Tim was looking up random things on the internet while I used this time to catch up on lost sleep. Before long, the hour was up and I was free for the day.

“See ya around, Suri,” Tim said after he packed up his things and rushed out of the class. The guy was always a go-getter, wanting to get to his next class on time. Probably just to look up random, useless things on the internet. If somehow that's how he gets good grades, then by all means.
I put on my backpack and started to leave, walking down the stairs leading to the door. I walked a few steps before I heard something fall behind me. I turn around to see Ari hunching over the table and her bag on the floor. Everyone was looking at her, but she didn't move one bit. She was breathing, albeit slowly. I knew what was going on. She was knocked out, probably from lack of sleep. I sighed and walked to where her bag was and picked it up placing it quietly beside her hunched form. It'd be a problem if she stayed asleep there, so I gave her a little nudge.

“Nngh...,” she mumbled, clearly wanting to stay asleep.

I looked at her and give her a harder nudge, furrowing my eyebrows a little.

“...Nnkay...,” Ari said, in a gentle voice before sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

I took that moment to get the hell out of there before she notices I woke her up. As I left the lecture hall I overheard a few of my female classmates gossiping:

“...What happened to those two? They used to be great friends back in high school, didn't they? They barely talk anymore.”

“I don't know. I guess they hate each other, now.”

“But he just woke her up, in a pretty nice way too.”

“...Guess it's a one-sided hate.”

They hushed as I got near them and, to replace their gossiping, they eyed me until I completely passed them.

I wanted to get home as soon as possible. I couldn't stand being here longer than I needed to be...

Part 2

As soon as I got home, which was a cozy apartment I got cheap due to family connections, I tossed my bag onto the couch, found my bed, and collapsed right onto it. I took a deep breath, exhaling onto the pillow I buried my face in. I rolled over onto my back and stared at the ceiling, my eyelids in their seemingly perpetual, half-closed (sometimes quarter-closed) state. I sighed, unable to get the picture of Ari out of my mind. I clenched my teeth, angry at a lot of things at the same time for the same reasons. I angered myself to sleep. Not exactly a good way to get to sleep, but I'll take it any way I can get it. My mind went back to the friendship that seemed like it never happened. It wasn't that long ago from now, but it was like there were black, faded parts of those memories that I couldn't exactly grasp. What exactly happened before? What happened between Ari and me? Why can't I remember anything?

My eyes opened and I was instantly confused upon feeling the nudging of a little girl and hearing her voice repeatedly say, “Wake up, Suri! Wake up!” I sat up and grumbled, putting on my glasses and staring at the little girl who was telling me to wake up. She was my niece, Korin. I looked around the room and immediately knew I was dreaming, or some in alternate reality or something. My niece woke me up, and I was sleeping in my comfortable bed in my room. I was in the place I called home before college. After gathering my wits and gaining the most composure a student could have after being just woken up, I looked at my niece.

“C'mon. You told me you have that date today! You can't be late for it!” she exclaimed with her large, black eyes staring at me. How sweet.

“Yeah. You're right,” I mumbled, looking at my clock, “Except it's at 10. Your four hours early. I commend your puncutality, though.”

“You should get ready. It's gonna take you four hours to get ready!”

“...You're probably right. Then again, you never are.”

“You're so mean, Suri!” she started to flail incessantly at me, trying to deck me in the face with her adorable, tiny fists. Needless to say, they felt more like being pelted with those cotton balls that you use to apply all that make up shit.

“Alright alright. I'll start getting ready. I'll be out for breakfast in a bit,” I smiled to Korin and ruffled up her hair. I smiled, that's something I never do now.

I started my morning routine. Shower, primping, and changing. At around 7, I was all ready for this 'date.' But first...breakfast.