The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: PlayStation 3 Talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
That's odd. Infamous never gave me any problems on my old unit. It was only until after i got Force Unleashed II that i started getting the same problems you mentioned.

AEA1 and Cabs have also been getting some issues on their fat PS3s lately. IIRC, most of us got our units roughly within a year or so of each other.
Aww poo. Looks like I'll just wait for a used copy of Binary Domain then. 8 hour Dark Souls marathon and my PS3 is still fine, but it can't stand just a few minutes of Infamous or the Binary Domain demo?! What the heck is going on?

That said, a new PS3 doesn't sound bad right now.
My slim PS3 can't connect wirelessly for some reason. Sad

I've already tried turning both the unit and the router off, and I'm sure the settings are correct. The only thing left to do is to restore my console and the router to their factory settings, which I'd hate to do (well, more for the console than the router).
(02-28-2012, 10:56 AM)Lord_Leperman Wrote: [ -> ]Aww poo. Looks like I'll just wait for a used copy of Binary Domain then. 8 hour Dark Souls marathon and my PS3 is still fine, but it can't stand just a few minutes of Infamous or the Binary Domain demo?! What the heck is going on?

That said, a new PS3 doesn't sound bad right now.

Want to try cleaning your PS3 first? Just to be sure before you replace it. LOL
(02-28-2012, 01:35 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]My slim PS3 can't connect wirelessly for some reason. Sad

I've already tried turning both the unit and the router off, and I'm sure the settings are correct. The only thing left to do is to restore my console and the router to their factory settings, which I'd hate to do (well, more for the console than the router).

Try connecting through LAN for now just to check that it can still get on the internet?
(02-28-2012, 10:40 AM)Fox Wrote: [ -> ]AEA1 and Cabs have also been getting some issues on their fat PS3s lately. IIRC, most of us got our units roughly within a year or so of each other.

My PS3 showed me the ylod once already, good thing it still returns to normal after I let it cool down. I have already decided to get a new one, before my old one finally kicks the bucket. This way I might be able to save my files and downloaded games thru the PS3 transfer tool.

I read somewhere on the net that on every PS3 firmware update, the fan speed vs temp setting changes, leaning more on silent operation thus resulting on lower fan rpms. This is especially bad for fat ones since they run hotter.

My problem started when I updated to version 4.11 btw. I can't even play AcV demo now without my PS3 shutting down after a few minutes of play. Before I can hear the fan run at high speeds during system intensive scenes but now it just dies on me.
http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=50988

Any of you tried this out? I just read about it. PS3 reballing. Might save a few of your PS3s.
I made a few inquiries. The proprietor's shop is located near Tutuban and Divisoria. There's a lot of testimonials about how he could save even dead PS3s but i ain't sure if i'm willing to bring my unit anywhere near an area such as those. Sad
Quote:all PS3 problems

Has anyone been getting most of those problems after update 4.11? Seems that a lot of guys in the SEN community have been experiencing freezing, slowdown, unable to connect, unexpected shutdowns and all sort of game-disruptive problems ever since that particular update came out.

Unfortunately, most of the complaints are coming from the owners of 40gb, 60gb and 80gb models. Sad
http://killerbug666.wordpress.com/2011/0...d-changes/

Here's that article that Cabs mentioned. Supposedly, Sony's been tweaking the fan speed every update to kill off older models. But the article doesn't really have any proof of this aside from his own text. There's no video documentation, pictures of the temperature reading, etc.

I can't really see why Sony would want to kill off the older PS3s either. They make money off of games and services, not the consoles. In fact, they used to lose money with every unit sold, and now they still probably barely make anything at all with the Slims.

I think it's really just the shitty unleaded soldering and crappy thermal paste that they use that's caused the fatties to die off one by one.
(03-02-2012, 10:09 AM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]http://killerbug666.wordpress.com/2011/0...d-changes/

Here's that article that Cabs mentioned. Supposedly, Sony's been tweaking the fan speed every update to kill off older models. But the article doesn't really have any proof of this aside from his own text. There's no video documentation, pictures of the temperature reading, etc.

I can't really see why Sony would want to kill off the older PS3s either. They make money off of games and services, not the consoles. In fact, they used to lose money with every unit sold, and now they still probably barely make anything at all with the Slims.

I think it's really just the shitty unleaded soldering and crappy thermal paste that they use that's caused the fatties to die off one by one.

I haven't had any problems with my unit, ever. It's a fatty.

(03-02-2012, 10:09 AM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]http://killerbug666.wordpress.com/2011/0...d-changes/

I think with all the hardware revisions made on the ps3 these past few years, there is a large chance that they are already at break even point or selling with a profit on those new models.
One biggest change made was the decrease in cell processor and RSX chip die size making it cheaper to produce. This resulted also on a more efficient operation and less heat output.

The only problem I have now is that I might not save all the downloaded games I have on my fatty since they all require user profile activation. Unfortunately one of those user profile was banned for some unknown reason.

To buy a new one, or to revive the old one: that is the question... Argh
Like Sforza, I've never encountered any problem with my fatty so far other than having a few graphical glitches, which had to do with the dusty crap inside (it was literally filled with dust lol; imagine grayscale cotton candy in your PS3); never had the problem again ever since it's been cleaned. As long as it doesn't overheat and doesn't get too dusty, you're good to go. Their hardware sucks anyhow.

My fatty's always turned on for like, at least 15 hours straight everyday, and is usually active for 7 days a week. Still hasn't died yet, so far.
(03-02-2012, 05:14 PM)cabs Wrote: [ -> ]

I think with all the hardware revisions made on the ps3 these past few years, there is a large chance that they are already at break even point or selling with a profit on those new models.
One biggest change made was the decrease in cell processor and RSX chip die size making it cheaper to produce. This resulted also on a more efficient operation and less heat output.

The only problem I have now is that I might not save all the downloaded games I have on my fatty since they all require user profile activation. Unfortunately one of those user profile was banned for some unknown reason.

To buy a new one, or to revive the old one: that is the question... Argh

That's what i've been asking myself as well. I got in touch with the guy who does PS3 reballing and he mentioned that he charges around a third of what it costs to get a new unit. He did mention though, that he can't guarantee whether or not that damn yellow light will return in the future, as there are also other components that are possible causes of that particular problem.

Sigh, decisions, decisions...
Fox, in your case, bago na lang siguro unless you're keen on salvaging your old data. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8