The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Reikitsunamizu’s Touch: False Messiah
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Reikitsunagumizu’s Touch: False Messiah

Prologue:

It is never easy to keep one’s self still; never moving in any way, for to move is to live. The minute you stop moving is almost tantamount to dying. So it makes you wonder, why some stop moving either by their own will or worse, by their circumstances.

A silver-haired wolf-girl thought to herself as she sat on her chair, doing her best not to move at all. Her slender small frame stiff from not moving from her place but she did her best. This was something she wanted to do after all.

Is the desire to live in a moment forever almost like dying? Is going against change, a constant in life, tantamount to you killing yourself?

A pair of crimson eyes closed for a moment. Their owner pondered more on her thoughts. Given nothing else, thinking was the only thing left for the girl.

If that is the case, then maybe I am already not of this world. We can never go back to the past that is why I desire things to don’t change any more than it already did. Maybe it’s the reason why I made that request, despite the circumstances.

She widened her smile.

Yes, that’s it.

Crimson eyes opened once more to meet with azure ones. A blue pair moved towards the girl’s direction and to a canvas. To and fro as its owner kept her brush moving. On the said canvas was an almost done painting of the silver-haired girl. The brush stopped however as its owner took a peek at her subject, concern written on her face.

“Are you feeling okay, High Priestess? We’ve been at it for hours, you are probably tired.”

The smiled vanished from the wolf-girl’s face as it was replaced by an expression of disappointment. But she did her best to smile once more.

“I am okay. Don’t worry. However…”

A sigh.

“You don’t need to be so formal and call me that.”

The painter blinked. She softly apologized only making the wolf-girl pout even more.

“You can call me by my name when it’s just us…Actually, I would love it if you would call me as you used to, much like the old days….”

Was it really that hard?

Have things really that changed so much between us?

Were our circumstances caused us to drift apart so much?

In that case, I don’t want it.

I never needed it.

I just want it back.

What we used to have.

Where I am now, I feel as if I am dead.

Yes, dead.

Maybe I am, already dead.

==
Chapter 1: The Ceremony

For anyone visiting Sakura village in any time of the year, he or she would always have a very specific reason for doing so. One may say he is there for Sakura as it could be considered as your not-so average village. A village floating with the power of Goddess Reikitsunagumizu and a perpetual rain of sakura blossoms to which it got its name. For some, plain sight-seeing would be an unforgettable experience, not with the beauty of the sakura blossoms and the spectacular view the village has to offer. Add the fact the villagers know how to treat tourists and you are all set. Another reason may be was to live in the village itself. Why not? A lot of people come and go within its confines. The village is well adapted to new members of their family. Lastly, though just recently, becoming common were those who come to Sakura for training of their Reiki channeling abilities, their Guardians also included.

Reiki, the natural energies of the Goddess Reikitsunagumizu herself, is believed to flow in everyone in the Kurori Akaiko tribe but it is dependent on how one’s goes about to using these energies what one becomes who one is to be. Reiki Channelers are those who channel Reikitsunagumizu’s energy to heal others and their other halves, who have made themselves protect the Channelers, are the Guardians. Guardians have lost the ability to channel Reikitsunagumizu’s energies to heal others rather they use the energies to give themselves the abilities to protect their assigned Channeler.

Sakura had been known to be able to house such training thus Channelers and Guardians alike come so often.

==

Yanagi Chikane had come to Sakura for that purpose. She wanted to train her Reiki channeling abilities. The training itself was difficult enough. It was arduous and very taxing to the Channeler, especially if he or she has yet to grasp full control of her own abilities. Chikane wanted to finally be able to control the flow of Reiki’s energies fully so as she would not lose her own stamina quickly. But as it was, it takes a lot of training to do so, more so for her due to her own natural affinity with the energies of the Goddess. She stirred as her wolf-ears twitched once.

It wasn’t her fault right?

Surely it wasn’t. The wolf-girl slowly opened her crimson eyes, letting them get focused with her surroundings. It was still early, the sun wasn’t still up for one, but she knew she had to get up right now. Training will start in a few hours and she did promise herself she wanted to look around the village despite the hour. Yawning, she made to sit up but blinked as she felt a warm pair of arms pull her down, hugging her small frame tight, closer to their owner’s body. Her eyes opened wide at that before she shook her head. Her long silver hair spilling all over the bed as she looked up to who was doing that to her.

Ishikawa Kumatora, her childhood friend.

Chikane flushed crimson, biting her lip as she tried to recall last night, well bits and pieces of it anyhow. She could faintly remember how exhausting training was yesterday and that the only thought on her mind was to get some well-earned rest. Somehow, the wolf-eared girl could recall she did make it to their hut and had made her way to the hut’s sleeping quarters. She did remember removing her robes and leaving her under-kimono on as she usually did. The faintest memory she had was just collapsing on something soft, which she assumed was her bed and the comforting warmth that seemed to emanate from it. Given that warmth and her fatigue, the only thing she could do was succumb to slumber, even more when that warmth seemed to just wrap itself around her frame. How was she to know she got the wrong bed again? Besides, it was quite unusual for Kumatora to be in bed before her anyhow. At least she was thankful her best friend didn’t felt that averse to her sleeping next to her, even hugging her warmly and snuggly. Well last night and now were two different things right? In any case and given things now, she was relieved that at least she knew how to get out of those hugs without disturbing Kumatora.

Mou~ Kuma-chan.

She smiled as she was able to break herself free and was in the process of tiptoeing away from the bed when Kumatora suddenly grabbed on to the only thing she could reach. Her fluffy wolf tail.

“K-ky—“

The wolf-girl’s eyes opened wide as she gasped, cheeks burning, but was able to cover her mouth in time. The sudden sensation of someone grabbing her tail so brashly the way Kumatora did was enough to make her fall on the floor. Luckily she caught herself in time. She just had not the heart to disturb her best friend in her sleep. She had already intruded on her bed; surely she shouldn’t intrude on the other girl’s sleep.

Chikane shook her head, sighing as she began to get dressed. She adjusted her under-kimono as to remove any creases from them. With that done, the wolf-girl started to put on her earth-toned robes, their sleeves a nice contrast of blue to the rest of the whole outfit. Her dress skirt, one she had been so used to wearing ever since, was adorned with tribal designs of the Kurori Akaiko. She smiled as she put on her white shawl over her shoulders, turning to look at the sleeping Kumatora. Adjusting her animal-skin boots, she turned to leave.

“Ittekimasu~”

With that, she grabbed a cloak just hanging by the door and exited the hut they were staying in during their training. Chikane shivered for a moment as she wore her cloak. The cold morning air bit through her skin, much to her discomfort. Thankfully, the thick cloak was enough. With a smile and her wolf ears twitching, she walked on, taking on her surroundings.

A view of how Sakura was before a start of another bustling day.

==
==

I want to be a Guardian.

A certain lion-girl finally said as she turned to the wolf-girl. Her voice trembling as she did so. She took a deep breath, in an effort to ease her nerves, before continuing

I never was good with housework, nor in any of the arts. I couldn’t channel Reiki even if I tried.

The girl stared down at her hands, avoiding her companion’s gaze. Her azure eyes focusing on the clenching of said hands into fists.

I am good at fighting, nothing else. Otoosama told me I would make an excellent guardian. So…I want to—“

A roar.

Blood.

Kumatora stirred. Her lion ears and tail twitched to and fro as she slowly made to sit up. The back of her hand ran across her eyes as an attempt to rub the weary feeling of sleep, yawning once then twice as she did so. It had been a while since she had been able to sleep as soundly as she just did. Guardian training called for you to be at least be able to be half-asleep and half-awake, earning enough rest for one’s body and still being able to fulfill one’s duty to one’s lieges. After all, threats never sleep, why should you? But all that seemed to take a backseat given that she was cherished with the blessing of being able to sleep beside her best friend, on the pretense said wolf-girl was too tired to notice she had settled herself on the wrong bed.

Though she enjoyed sleep on its own, more than anything else, more so if it was beside a certain wolf-eared girl, the Guardian trainee knew she just had to get up. Reasons being that today was day she had been training for all this time. All that pain and effort preparing and keeping herself intact, culminating to this single day plus the added fact that the candidate she was aiming for to be her liege was missing.

Chikane-chan…

That was the source of her strength to push forward with the Eightfold way, which meant being subjected to the most difficult if not fatal of training imaginable. It not only required a certain level of physical strength but also of one’s own spirit otherwise it would lead to one’s undoing. Kumatora had survived all of that up to now. One last step. Only a bit more. And finally she would be worthy of being a Guardian to protect Chikane and there can be nothing else that would get in her way ever again.

That is, if she will be able to find Chikane first before any of the Elder Guardians realize that the Channeler in training was moving around unguarded. If such was to happen, she knew all her efforts up to now would be wasted and she would never be allowed to choose the wolf-girl to be her liege, much less see said girl again. The Elders would make sure of that.

Sitting up and stretching her limbs, her bedridden blonde hair flailed to and fro as she did so. The lion-girl reached for the length of lace she would keep by her bedside, biting it in her mouth as she began to look for her Guardian garb. Throwing off the white shift she would use as sleepwear, she reached for her navy blue kimono which she modified herself for comfort and mobility’s sake and draped it over her form. One of the kimono top sleeves were cut short and the other kept as is as it provided her a safe place to put a secondary weapon if needed. The lower half of the garb has a long slit on one side which gave her the right amount of mobility. Adornments, gold tribal designs of the Kurori Akaiko that were placed here and there, gave her kimono’s colors a nice contrast. Reaching down for her leather steel toed boots plus her leather arm braces and putting them on, she made her way out of the hut, adjusting and securing her kimono as she did so. But not without doubling back to take her novice guardian katana, right where she left it, and securing the holster belt around her waist.

Oh Da--.

The novice Guardian was just in the process of tying her hair in her usual ponytail, when she bumped into another Guardian, seemingly on patrol. She mumbled an apology as she continued tying her hair.

The Ishikawa offspring looked around outside the hut, gritting her teeth as she wondered where Chikane could have gone. She had heard it from the older more experienced Guardians. How their lieges would try to sneak out and have some fun on their own, seemingly unaware that they were still being followed, kept safe from any threats that may come their way. It was imperative for any Guardian to never lose sight of the liege they have sworn to protect. Every second one’s liege was out of his or her sight was another second that increases the chances of a would-be assassin to take away their liege’s life.

Tempting as it was for her to just let loose and go into a rage, tearing through the village to search for the wolf-girl, Kumatora kept herself in check just as she trained herself to. Causing a commotion and catching attention wasn’t on her priority list. She just had to remember her training. Closing her eyes while clenching and unclenching her hands into fists, the lion-girl breathed through her nose and caught the familiar scent of oranges. She grinned, her trademark fang peeking from the corner her mouth.

She made to run in the direction of the scent, familiar and inviting.

Chikane-chan…

==

"Vegetables~! Get your vegetables here, freshly picked! At friendly prices~"

"Fruits~ Fruits over here! You can never get it more fresh than here~"

The bustling sounds and activity of the Sakura marketplace was something totally unexpected by Chikane even though she had tried to prepare herself for it. Her mentor, Cyrene Saikiri, had told her about the place and how she can find whatever she might need. Best part of it was how the marketplace would be open earlier and later compared to those of other villages. Still, this much energy so early in the day? The silver-haired wolf-girl shivered slightly, feeling herself grasping the security of her cloak. Crowds were never her favorite of places to be but she knew she had to do this. This was her only opportunity after all.

Taking a deep breath, the Yanagi offspring kept walking, stopping to listen whenever a vendor would show their wares but politely refusing any offers. She had no need for them. The wards of the temple made sure all their needs were taken care of; food was no problem. It was the least they could do, as training took up most of the Channeler’s day, leaving no time for such mundane tasks.

Mou…

Chikane shook her head, politely waving her hands in front of her as she took a step back from a fruit vendor who had offered her to buy some of his freshly harvested berries for sale. She could feel her cheeks warm up; the smell of the said fruit reminding her of her best friend. A scent the lion-girl seemed to carry with her. Speaking of Kumatora, she wondered if the lion-girl was awake. If so, it made it more urgent for Chikane to find what she was looking for.

It surprised her really, that Kumatora was almost a fully-fledged guardian (The blonde-lion girl never did like talking about training whenever they were alone, such as it was). She wouldn’t have known if her mentor, Saikiri Cyrene and her guardian, had not mentioned it. But, she was thankfully for the information. Sadly, a bit worried all the while if she would be able to give her best friend a gift, something to at least commemorate the day. She thought of cooking the other girl her favorite but as it was, she would always do that. Whatever she has to give has to be special. Her own channeling training kept her busy; so busy that now was only her chance to get something.

Her crimson eyes blinked once then twice, wolf ears twitching under her hood as a particular stand caught her attention. An elderly lady was behind the counter, peddling her wares of jewelry and accessories. As the wolf-girl approached, the elderly lady smiled, presenting her wares. Chikane gave the wares a once over. Her face bore a serious expression but softened as she found what she knew would be the best gift for the occasion.

A simple black choker.

Adorned by a silver Sakura petal.

With no hesitation at all did she bought the said item, relieved that she was able to do so and more thankful to the elderly lady as she was offered a small pouch to put it on. With a smile, she kept the item inside her robes; her concern now shifting to the food she was to prepare for Kumatora.

Thanking the storekeeper once more, she turned to leave. Her thoughts absorbed in what she needed to do. There wasn’t much time left, but at least, everything was ready back at the hut. All she needed was to—

“I told you before; you can never run away from me.”

Chikane had only taken a few steps from the jewelry stall when she heard those words whispered to her ear, followed by a warm pair of arms wrapping around her form. Her body froze at the contact but relaxed as a familiar scent whiffed through her nose, a tinge of crimson making its way across her cheeks.

“K-Kuma-chan?”

==
==

Kumatora smiled to herself as the wolf-eared girl in her arms stiffened but slowly relaxed at the unexpected but welcome embrace she had given. She always enjoyed such close contact, giving her the feeling that at this moment, she has Chikane all to herself. And almost always, as if on cue, the temptation to push her best friend down would rise up, to do whatever she wanted to the wolf-girl, to deepen that feeling of possession she had. But, she forced those feelings back, deep into the deepest recesses of her being, reminding herself doing such would risk everything she was to Chikane.

“Hai. It’s me, Chikane-chan….”

The blonde lion-girl giggled softly as she nuzzled herself closer against the smaller girl. The scent of oranges getting stronger; her embrace getting tighter. Yes, she wouldn’t be herself without Chikane.

“Mou~ You didn’t have to creep up behind me like that, Kuma-chan…”

The Channeler in training pouted but did not attempt to release herself from the taller girl’s embrace even if said girl attempted to pull down the hood of her cloak. But the lion-eared girl stopped herself just in time. Kumatora glanced at her surroundings, realizing that revealing the identity of Chikane in such a place would only warrant them unwanted attention, from the villagers and any possible Elder Guardians on patrol. She grinned as she whispered into the wolf-girl’s ear.

“Hold on tight.”

“Eh?”

Chikane blinked, eyes open wide in confusion but could only squeak in surprise as the lion-girl reached under her knees and scooped her off her feet. Not after did the Guardian trainee took a step, reaching full speed with the next and began to run across the crowd in the marketplace. With her momentum, Kumatora took off, jumping to land on one of Sakura village’s main tree branch. Another jump and her booted feet landed on one of the main tree’s platforms. One of the village’s higher vantage points.

It was one of the best places in the village, offering a panoramic view of the entire village and then some, with the right conditions. Given the view it provided, it usually was a favorite spot for those romantically acquainted but to Chikane and Kumatora, it was their refuge; a place where one or the other could stay to think, to relax or just plainly get away from the pressures brought by their respective responsibilities.

“Mou, Chikane-chan, if you had wanted to wander around unsupervised, you could have just asked me.” The blonde lion-girl sighed as she leaned on one of the railings of the platform. Her tail swished from side to side as she frowned, deep in thought.

“I happen to know where the Guardians patrol so it would be easy for us to make it out without them being the wiser. I wouldn’t mind you waking me up for that, just as much as I don’t mind you sneaking into my bed uninvited. ”

She sighed again, her lion ears drooping.

“Sorry, Kuma-chan.”

Chikane giggled, lowering her hood as she did so. She did her best to giggle as naturally as she could, to hide her own nervousness. The sudden feeling of the lion-girl scooping her off her feet just like that has caught her off guard and also there was the fact that Kumatora’s present was still with her as she had no chance to hide it properly. Her robe sleeves will have to do for now. She closed her eyes for a moment, shivering as the cold morning breeze blew past. The wolf-girl took a step forward beside her best friend.

Silence. The two enjoying the view the platform provided them. The perennial rain of Sakura, being blown gently by the morning breeze over the village; a sight that never failed to take their breaths away.

Moments later, Chikane blinked, realizing something.

“Ne, Kuma-chan, today is the Guardian Initiation Ceremony, right?”

The lion-girl’s ears perked up, as if suddenly taken aback by the question then dropped back again, a guilty look on her face. She was surprised really, as how can the wolf-girl know, as she never said anything, not wanting to be Chikane to be aware of her own training. However, the Channeler in training just giggled at the lion-eared girl’s expression.

“Well, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it. I heard it from Cyrene-sama and Shiue-san, “ She brushed her hair from her face as the breeze blew again; a rain of Sakura this time surrounded both girls, “I know you don’t like talking about training. “

But that doesn’t mean I am not worried about you.

A memory of Kumatora wrapped by bandages flashed into her mind. The silver-haired wolf-girl just forced a smile, clutching the small pouch in her robes tighter. There was nothing to worry about really. From what she saw, the lion-girl had come a long way, acting, moving and speaking more like a Guardian everyday but something, something she can’t really tell what was making her feel so uneasy. Maybe she should talk to Kumatora about it but as it was, the chance never seemed to appear.

“But, I am pretty sure you won’t have any problems, right?”

“Of course,” Came the taller girl’s reply, a confident grin on her face as she tapped the sheathed katana by her side, “If anything else, I think it should be those who will stand in my way that would be having problems.”

Kumatora laughed, doing her best not to show any hint that would make the wolf-girl beside her worry, especially since the Eightfold way demanded so much from those who would take it. If Chikane even had a hint of what she was going through, who knew how much it would upset the wolf-girl. That was something Kumatora wouldn’t want to happen. That was why she kept her best friend in the dark about her training, as much as she could. No matter how tempting it was to share her pain to the girl, as Chikane has that effect on her, calming her way more effective than anything else.

“Sou…well, I wish you luck then,” Chikane smiled disarmingly, reassured by the lion-girl’s words.

“Thanks. But it’s not necessary, really.” Kumatora laughed despite the slight shiver that coursed through her frame. No, it was a lie. She needed all the luck that she could get. This last step to be a Guardian will be the toughest one of all compared to the previous trials she had endured and triumphed over. This was it. The final threshold to the path she had chosen, to be a Guardian worth protecting her liege.

To be worthy of protecting the one most important to her.

To be worthy of protecting Chikane.

To never again lose the wolf-girl. That incident in their past being the first and would be the last she would ever have to.

Never again.

And the Guardian’s Horn was sounded, shaking the lion-eared girl out of her reveries. The sound signified that the ceremony was starting. Grinning, letting her own temptations get the better of her just this once, Kumatora reached for Chikane with both hands; her hands then pinched the shorter girl’s cheeks, not too soft nor too painful and breaking off before said girl could even react. With a giggle, she jumped off the platform, moving in direction of the village’s center.

I’ll show them. I’ll show them ALL. Chikane is mine to protect alone.

==
==

Chikane could not help but blush furiously at what the lion-girl had just done. Although used to Kumatora’s surprise displays of affection, pinching included, this was the first time her best friend had ever done it that it actually hurt a bit. Still, something about the way Kumatora had pinched her cheeks comforted her somehow, as if it told her the lion-eared girl will be fine.

The gentle morning breeze brushed past her frame once more, making the platinum-blonde girl shiver, shaking her out of her reveries. It was then she realized that she had not much time left. She still has some preparations to attend to. Kumatora’s victory bento.

Mou, Kuma-chan…

She knew that was important too, along with the gift she had bought. If she recalled, the lion-girl may have opted to miss breakfast, again. Maybe now she can at least be able to attend to that. To be honest, she was thankful to her mentor, Cyrene, having allowed her to attend the ceremony in exchange for a make-up session for her own training, albeit reluctantly. As it was, the crimson-haired fox-girl has no choice. She knew Chikane to be devoted to whatever she decided on, that being one of the Channeler’s strengths. Said Channeler just smiled to herself. Now she really has to hurry, if she was to make it and as not to waste this opportunity.

“I have to hurry,” Chikane thought to herself as she made her way to the hut Kumatora and herself shared. Her mind cluttered with questions, what to prepare first, will she make it? No, she needs to hurry, that’s all there is to it. “Things will work out, focus. Focus.”

“Focus, Kumatora. This is it. Everything comes to this. Show them what you have trained for,” The blonde lion-girl thought to herself right before her stomach growled, breaking her train of thought. She blushed at that. Her ears drooped for a moment as she looked around, hoping nobody had heard. True, she had skipped breakfast yet again that being recommended with her training as one wouldn’t exactly want to be vomiting due to the intensity of the training. Also, it was imperative for a Guardian to perform their duties even with such conditions.

The sounds of the multiple voices talking to one another, mixing together into a loud inaudible mass of sentences and words filled the air of the makeshift arena; the site for the last step of the Eightfold Way. A battle of survival, one against many, victory to the last one standing. The prize being a fully-fledged Guardian.

Few would take such a path to be a Guardian, given to how brutal and unforgiving it could be. But to anyone who would dare do so, not only would he or she be able to reach full-fledged Guardian status faster, they would be given the opportunity to actually chose their own liege instead of the traditional other way around. After all, triumphing over the Eightfold way just proves that the Guardian is capable and strong enough for such a responsibility. That is what made the Eightfold way attractive for Kumatora, so she can choose Chikane as her liege.

Still, it is a given that it was rare for anyone to take the Eightfold way, much less to reach its final stages. The villagers were all but excited to come watch, partly so see who would be brave or foolish enough to take such a path and also be able to witness the Guardians go against one another, to display their own individual strengths.

The lion-girl shook her head as her hands clenched into fists as she tried to calm herself down. This was it, the last step of the Eightfold Way, that final culmination of what she had trained for.

“I am strong enough now. I am not like I was before. I am stronger. I will protect Chikane-chan, with my own strength,” Kumatora closed her eyes, repeating to herself that mantra. Her subspecies had the natural strength to turn the tide of any battle, even without training. That natural ability, that power, made the skills she’d been polishing for the past four years that much more lethal.

This is it. No holding back. I will crush those who will get in my way. I don’t care who you are. Chikane-chan is depending on me. I will show you all.

“Ishikawa Kumatora.”

The girl in question just grinned as she was summoned, slinging her sheathed katana over her shoulder as she made her way to the center of the make-shift ring. She opened her azure eyes, pointing at the other Guardians. It was rude, even downright arrogant but this was Kumatora, and she wanted to make sure the Guardians will never forget that.

“Saa. Come at me if you can, “ Kumatora’s grin grew even wider, fangs exposed.

And the ceremony has begun.

==
==

Chikane winced in pain as she held the bento she had just prepared tighter in her now bandaged hands. Rushing cooking was never a good idea but it had to be done. At least now she just needs to get to the center of Sakura, where the makeshift Arena was set up, where the ceremony was, where Kumatora was. She was late again, just like back then.

That event that changed the direction of their lives forever.

Mou…I am late. Chikane mumbled to herself as she made her way to the outskirts of Seiren Village. Her cloak doing its purpose of keeping the wearer’s identity hidden and kept said wearer warm from the cold biting evening air.

Seiren has always been an agriculturally driven village, conveniently placed under a shadow of an extinct volcano. As a result, the land was very fertile, very much so that even an inexperienced farmer would have no trouble at all starting out on his own. It was also a peaceful village; life was simple and the people were happy. Things changed when they Yanagi household were blessed with a daughter; a wolf-girl with an ability to channel Reiki when she was but a few months old and the added fact strands of her usually brown hair would glow an ethereal silver when she did. Ideally, they would be overjoyed but the villagers, being farmers, were naturally superstitious.

“The Goddess has silver hair…right?”

“She has crimson eyes too.”

“So what’s with that Yanagi child?”

“Reincarnate? No, impossible. It’s a trick.”

Whispers of such were common for Chikane whenever she would step out of their hut, even more when she could on her own. She had learned to take things like that in stride, with help of her parents, always there to reassure her and of course, a special person who acted as her pillar of support.

Her best friend, Ishikawa Kumatora.

That same best friend that had asked if they could meet in their favorite spot, an old oak in the outskirts of the village, a place away from the hustle and bustle of the village, away from the prejudiced whispers and glares.

Don’t get her wrong though, the wolf-girl has tried to make friends but all could not even keep relations with her due to the pressures brought upon by the adults of the village. Only one stuck with her, despite everything. So when that same lion-girl made her a request, she didn’t hesitate to say yes, despite the hour and circumstances. The risk of being caught by the village Guardians on patrol and of a Balken attack were all but nothing to her, only fulfilling the request of Kumatora was what mattered.

But, it was still difficult to sneak out, that’s why she was so late.

Even so, the wolf-eared girl only smiled as she spotted Kumatora, seemingly lost in thought, waiting for her. Giggling to herself, she crept behind the lion-girl and poked said girl at the ribs at the right moment.

“Gah!” Kumatora shrieked at the sudden sensation of two digits poking at her ribs.

A hurt look was on evident on her face as she turned to her companion who just giggled. The blonde lion-girl just pushed the temptation to get even, doing her best to gather her thoughts. After all, they didn’t have much time. She knew the risks of meeting so late at night as such a place; her father being a Guardian in his time would always take the chance to lecture his daughter the basics about Guardians. But as it was, this was the only time and the place for Kumatora to finally tell Chikane what she wanted to say. Something she had always wanted to tell the wolf-girl from the first day they met.

“Kuma-chan? So..um, what did you want to talk about?, “ Chikane tilted her head, a curious expression on her face as she stared at her best friend who appeared to be spacing out.

Kumatora sighed then began to speak.

“I want to be a Guardian, “The lion-eared girl took a deep breath, in an effort to calm herself but could only place her gaze at her hands, avoiding the gaze of her companion as she continued, “ I never was good with housework, nor in any of the arts. I couldn’t channel Reiki even if I tried. I am good at fighting, nothing else. Otoosama told me I would make an excellent guardian. So…I want to—“

A roar broke through the silence. A Balken, rabid and hungry, appeared out of the brush just a few feet away from them. Spotting the two, it roared once more and attacked. Its hunger for flesh only getting stronger with each step it took. Its actual appearance was what a blur to Kumatora. All she remembered was a huge mass of fur, with sharp claws and teeth, bent for blood and how she knew she stood between it and Chikane.

Darkness followed suit. Her name screamed by a voice, so familiar. And the next thing she knew, she was standing in front of an Elder, seemingly baring her way from the Yanagis’ hut. Her robes were torn, whatever fragments of cloth draped on her frame were stained dark with dried up blood. A scar ran across her abdomen, already healing over a wound that would have guaranteed death.

“Let me see her, please, “ Kumatora pleaded. Her voice weak, exhaustion and desperation clearly evident.

“Go home, little one,” The Elder spoke, trying to be as gentle as he could. His face calm, unfazed by the appearance of the lion-girl in front of him. “Yanagi Chikane, the Goddess’ reincarnate, needs her rest after channeling so much of the Goddess’ energies. You should be thankful that she pulled you out of the Abyss and—“

“I SAID LET ME SEE HER!”

The cold unfazed expression the Elder has vanished for a moment, taken aback by Kumatora’s outburst but it changed to one of anger as he realized that it was a child who was before him.

“Don’t you think you have done enough? If you had not lured Yanagi out at such a time and place then she wouldn’t have to be in such a state right now, “ His brow furrowed as he continued, “ Your total inconsideration for her safety, not to mention yours would have cost us the Goddess’ avatar. “

“So away with you, Ishikawa. I don’t care if your father is a Guardian, “ He shook his head, “You are now forbidden to approach Yanagi even much less glance at her direction. Unless you want to be cut down from where you stand. Go, leave without turning back. “

The Elder didn’t even wait for the Ishikawa offspring to reply as he slammed the door, leaving the girl alone. Kumatora stood frozen in place as her frame started to shake. Her hands clenching into fists as tears slowly started to peak from the sides of her eyes. She had just lost the person most precious to her but she steeled herself, wiping her tears with a brush of her arm. It was then she swore she would never lose Chikane ever again.

Never again...

Chikane woke up three weeks later. Everyone around her was seemingly treating her in a different light, one she was so unaccustomed to. Add the fact that her brown hair was now permanently silver in color and the words of the Elder, telling her of how she is confirmed to be Reikitsunagumizu’s reincarnate and would be now training to fulfill the role. Things seem to be changing for the better. At least that’s what her parents said.

But all those didn’t matter, all she wanted to see was Kumatora, her best friend whom she thought she had lost but was told otherwise. That it was her own abilities of channeling Reiki that saved the lion-girl. The wolf-girl wanted to see her despite what was said. She wanted to see with her own eyes but nobody would say anything or worse would act like they didn’t hear her when she would ask about the other girl.

Kuma-chan, where are you?

Another week passed, still no word from her best friend. Chikane could no longer hold her own anxiety down, more so when the one of the Elders had told her she would be leaving for Irina village to start her training. She didn’t want to leave, not yet, not without seeing Kumatora but as it was, she was powerless to do otherwise. So on the day of her departure, the wolf-girl couldn’t help be uneasy as she stood in the gates of Seiren Village, waiting for the Guardian who would be escorting her to Irina.

Imagine her surprise when she saw who would be escorting her.

“Kuma-chan!” Chikane called out, a cheery smile on her face.

The wolf-girl ran to the approaching Kumatora, who just blinked for a moment, confusion on her face before finally realizing who had called her name. She had been tasked to escort a Channeler to Irina village and after what the Elder had said, she sure was not expecting that Channeler to be Chikane, and that hair color. The silver hue of the young Channeler’s hair only made her more breathtaking than she already was, more so when the sun would make those platinum strands glow with its rays. That fact only reminded the lion-girl that this was the wolf-girl that had saved her life and would have confessed to if not fate decided to make that interjection.

“Mou~ Where were you?” Chikane inquired as her lips curled into a frown.

Kumatora blinked at that, shaking her head as she realized she was staring at Chikane a bit too long. Biting back the temptation to just take the wolf-eared girl in her arms, she recalled her training, what she was told about the decorum of Guardians around the Channeler they were supposed to protect.

Be formal, never familiar.

“I was busy,” Came her reply, kicking herself mentally as she saw the young Channeler’s face fell, taken aback by her best friend’s frigidity. Well, she wasn’t lying anyhow. She had begun her training as a Guardian, now in the second stage of the Eightfold way. The bandaged wounds under her robes proof of that. She shivered in pain, emotionally and physically, caused by the hurt look on Chikane’s face. The lion-girl smiled as she leaned over to whisper in the smaller girl’s ear, “I missed you too.”

Chikane mirrored the lion-girl’s smiled at that, relieved to hear those words. Kumatora’s own smile widened a bit. That took care of that somehow, she thought.

“Saa, Yanagi-sama, we better get going. We do want to reach the port village of Irina before dark.” Kumatora spoke flatly, bowing as Guardian’s behavior called for.

“H-hai,” Chikane managed to reply, still a bit uneasy at how the lion-eared girl was doing things.

Both began to start their hike to Irina, awkward silence enveloping the both of them. Kumatora could not help but sigh to herself. The silence was suffocating, even more as she reminded herself again that this was how it should be, unless she wanted to lose the only chance she has to be Chikane’s Guardian. She has to hold on, she must---

“Kuma-chan~”

Kumatora could only gasp in pain as Chikane embraced her from behind. The young Channeler wrapped her arms from behind her in an embrace. Normally, the blonde Guardian in training would have welcomed such displays of affection from the wolf-girl but now, their contact just reminded her how much pain her body had endured in training. Her wincing in pain made Chikane pull back, a look of panic and worry on her face, wolf ears drooped. It was then the wolf-girl realized the extent of her companion’s injuries.

“Mou, what were you doing, Kuma-chan?” Chikane said with a smile. She closed her eyes as she raised a hand to channel Reiki, to heal the lion-girl and ease her of her pain.

The warm green glow of Reiki vanished when Kumatora reached out to grasp the other girl’s hand; her fingers lacing with the wolf-girl’s, breaking said girl’s concentration, a healthy tinge of crimson on her cheeks.

“There will be no need for that, Yanagi-sama,” Kumatora said gently, smiling as disarmingly as she could. As much as she wanted Chikane to do so, she doesn’t want to over-exert the wolf-eared girl healing wounds that could even weaken even the most hardened of Guardians, “ My wounds have already been taken care of. The bleeding is just part of the whole healing process. “

Chikane didn’t seem to be convinced by that. Her face once more showed an expression of worry and concern. Kumatora just sighed to herself as she reminded herself once more that it was just how it should be. Guardians should be able to handle their own injuries and not let such get in the way of their duties. Biting her lip, she decided to ignore protocol just this once, finding it more important to relieve the distressed young Channeler of her worries. With that, she pulled Chikane close, her free arm wrapping around the smaller girl’s waist in a tight embrace. Both of them sharing each other’s warmth.

“It is okay, Chikane-chan. I will be fine, “ Kumatora whispered into Chikane’s ear, right after flashing her trademark confident grin,” This is nothing I can’t handle. Ne?”

She smiled disarmingly as she broke off their embrace.

“Hai. “ Chikane replied, smiling back, seemingly reassured by Kumatora’s words. Her worries pushed aside.

With that matter taken care of, both continued their hike to Irina, oblivious to the fact they had never let go of each other’s hand.

“Chikane-chan~ Over here over here~”

Chikane’s wolf ears perked up from under her hood as she turned to the direction of the voice, confusion on her face. She wondered who could have known it was her and how the voice sounded familiar. She could only smile as she saw a crimson-haired fox-girl waving at her from the stands, beckoning her to come closer. The wolf-girl made her way next to the fox-eared girl.

“Seriously, Chikane-chan, you ask to skip training today but you forgot how villagers would be all excited for ceremonies like this, “ The taller redhead placed two fingers on her forehead, shook her head as her crimson hair swayed in tandem. “Lucky I saw you.”

“H-hai, thank you, Cyrene-sama.” Chikane’s cheeks flushed crimson as she settled down next to her mentor, who just gave a small giggle.

“Maa maa, you haven’t missed much yet. Ishikawa-san’s doing quite well I might add,” Cyrene nodded, arms across her chest. Her fox ears and tail twitched once then twice, “But, I guess I have to thank you as well.”

“Hai?” Chikane blinked, confused.

“Seems Shiue will be participating in the ceremony, “ Cyrene’s expression turned serious for a moment, a slight tremor in her voice, “At least I will be able to watch him..”

“S-Sou.”

The taller fox-girl blinked as her cheeks reddened slightly, “I-Its not like I am worried about him, okay!? I-Its just, um…Channelers have to know what their Guardians are up to…yeah, that’s it.”

The crimson-haired Saikiri nodded her head, in an attempt to regain her composure.

Before Chikane could say anything, the crowd cheered once more, prompting both girls to turn their attention back to the center of the ring. The silver-haired wolf girl just gripped the bento in her hand tighter. All her attention focused on Kumatora.

Kuma-chan...

==
==

The sound of blades crashing onto one another, steel against steel, pushing each other back. Neither yielding, echoing across the makeshift arena, finally crashing loudly into each other with so much force the blades could barely keep themselves against one another if not for their wielders. Three Guardians pushing against a single Guardian to be. That same lion-girl just grinned, somehow satisfied how things were going easier than she had anticipated.

“You are strong as they say, Ishikawa-san,” A half-wolf Guardian muttered under his breath, doing his best to keep his own blade level, “Strong as Guardians are supposed to be. “

“However, strength is not what makes a Guardian, “ Another Guardian, a half-crow this time, interrupted; his face calm despite the amount of effort to push against the lion-girl, “To be able to use this strength to protect our lieges from all harm, to use all of one’s abilities to do so.”

“Still though, I wonder if you can carry such a burden,“ A female half-rabbit Guardian chimed in, “Will you be able to protect much less save anyone when you had to be saved yourself?”

Kumatora’s grin all but disappeared at that, replaced by a scowl for moment as she tried to regain her composure. She had readied herself for such banter but never did she imagine any of her opponents would dare enough to refer to that event in her past that had caused her to lose Chikane. The lion-girl just grinned again as she pushed down the swelling rage within her.

“And here I thought this whole ceremony would be a sparring match between me and the other Guardians, “ Kumatora replied, her grin still evident from her face, “ I had wanted to do things as smoothly as I could but it seems that’s not the case anymore.”

She turned to the half-rabbit.

“Ne, you don’t mind if I step on your unconscious body so I can claim my title as a fully- fledged Guardian, hm?” The blonde Ishikawa said with a taunting almost evil smile.

The Guardian in question blinked at that, “How dare you I---“

All three Guardians could only blink as Kumatora pushed all their blades away, her own katana smashing into pieces for the nth time due to the force behind her swing; an evil smile curling on her lips. She let out a deafening roar, one that could curdle blood and send shivers down the spines of the hardened Guardians before her.

And thus the beating began.

That feeling of her blows connecting, flesh and bone being crushed under her fist. The sounds of grunts and moans of pain, a twisted symphony that aroused the lion-girl, like an intoxicating drug, pushing her forward, to keep on bringing down everything and everyone that stood in her way. With each thundering step fell an opponent, her lips curling into a cold and easy smile, a stark contrast to the violence in her wake.

She could only giggle to herself as she cracked her knuckles, walking away from the mess of bodies she had just helped to make. All Guardians were down, except for one, one who entered the Arena in a flourish, his white wings folding behind him as he did so.

Shiue Yizuki, Cyrene’s Guardian. The last one Kumatora needed to take down. He was said to have been trained under the legendary Guardian Masamune Enishi herself, being the only one to last thirty seconds with the said Guardian. Defeating him would be difficult but Kumatora knew she was ready for anything.

“You seem to be doing well, Ishikawa.” The half-albatross said in a calm gentle voice. Both gauntleted hands behind him as he stared at his opponent. His eyes narrowing for a moment at the carnage Kumatora had single-handedly orchestrated.

“But of course, Shiue-san.” Kumatora replied, her trademark grin on her face, “This is what I have trained for. This is why I decided to take the Eightfold way. To be the best at what Guardians do.”

“I see…but I wonder—“ Shiue stopped in mid-sentence, giving a small smile as his opponent all but charged towards him. The rage on Kumatora’s aura still evident as the lion-girl raised a fist to strike him down, one with such force that it may only take one hit so she can achieve victory.

That seemed not to be the case when the lion-girl’s fist only made contact with Shiue’s wrist armor, making a sound not of breaking flesh or bone but rather an unceremonious thud, the half-albatross just stepping out of Kumatora’s way as he continued to speak.

“Do you really have a grasp of what Guardians do?” Shiue kept the smile on his face as he gracefully evaded another one of Kumatora’s blows, “One can easily put our duties as Guardians into simple words, protect our lieges from all harm, whatever form it may be. That is our duty.”

The lion-girl’s scream echoed in her ear as she threw another punch to the half-albatross. Her fist making a dull thud as it connected with Shiue’s other wrist armor. She threw another punch, only to hit nothing but air. And another, only to make that thud sound once more and to see Shiue’s own gentle composed smile. Her rage swelled up in her frame once more, so much she just began to throw her blows, just wanting to wipe that smile off the half-albatross Guardian’s face. Though Kumatora didn’t mind more experienced Guardians lecturing her, teaching her more of the Guardian way, having it being done at this time at this point where she was so close to be a Guardian, only infuriated her instead.

“Shut up, shut up! Die, die, die!” Kumatora all but screamed to herself each time she threw a punch. Louder and louder for each time Shiue seemed to evade or block them with such ease.

“We train our bodies to be the most powerful warriors so no harm can come to our lieges, “ Shiue continued, closing his eyes. “To sacrifice our own lives is nothing to us, much as is taking the lives of those who threaten the lives of our lieges. But--”

Shiue opened his eyes just as he caught Kumatora’s fist, both of their arms shaking as both tried to push each other back. “Never forget our lieges give life as easily as how we take it. Such a task is never easy as our lieges suffer way more than we could ever imagine.”

His expression went blank as he stared down at Kumatora, “Tell me, could you bear to hold your liege given that your hands would be stained with so much blood? Look around you, look at your doing.”

He paused, remembering his own training, how Masamune Enishi herself had always made it a point he never forget what Guardians are supposed to be. How the legendary Guardian would always make it a point to drill that particular lesson into him.

“So much violence and pain. Your liege would all be focused on giving part of themselves to restore life, but you would be so easy take it away, “ Shiue’s grip on Kumatora’s fist tightened as he continued, “Would you even dare to hold her hand when your liege would give everything she has to save another and you are the only one keeping her soul planted in this realm?”

The half-albatross pushed the lion-girl back, rearing back to finally give an attack of his own. His eyes gleamed as he taunted.

“Would you?! Ishikawa!”

The boiling rage within Kumatora all but vanished when she realized that Shiue was right. That she was the only thing standing between Chikane and whatever plans the Elder has for the wolf-girl. That she didn’t have to not only be the best at warding off whatever that could bring physical harm to Chikane, but the emotional ones as well. She would have to cast off anger, hate and self-doubt from the wolf-girl but she wouldn’t be able to do so if she was one who murdered with relish.

She was not a murderer, nor a soldier.

She was a Guardian.

A Guardian who was supposed to be there for Chikane.

Kumatora blinked at the realization, snapping herself back into reality just in time as she caught Shiue’s wrist with both hands. Her whole body followed the length of the half-albatross Guardian’s arm as her legs clamped around it. Both could only fall on the ground as Kumatora has Shiue where she wants him, in an arm bar hold.

“Thanks for the life lesson, Shiue-san, “ The lion-girl grinned, azure eyes glowing, “Now if you would kindly submit or else Cyrene-sama will be feeding you for a week.”

“That remains to be seen, Ishikawa.” Shiue mirrored the lion-girl’s grin.

The Guardian felt relieved, sensing that Kumatora had somehow got a grasp of what he was saying. For now, he would be safe from any chastising Masamune Enishi could ever give him by letting someone unfit to pass the Eightfold way. But still, he needed to put up a good fight. At least, that was what he intended to do as the hold the lion-girl has on him seemed to be unbreakable. So much the only option left was to submit.

And the crowd could only cheer as both warriors dusted themselves off.

Shiue bowed as he congratulated the lion-girl, letting her enjoy the victory she had worked so hard for. The villagers seemed to have the same idea, cheering even louder as Kumatora raised her hand; her trademark grin on her face.

“I am finally a Guardian, “ The lion-girl thought to herself, “I can finally protect you, Chikane-chan.”

==
==

Chikane could only blink as Cyrene pulled her from her seat. The crimson-haired fox girl dragging her by the arm in direction of the Arena just as the crowd began cheering. The wolf-girl had heard her mentor mention something about congratulating Kumatora personally but her words were lost in the noise of the crowd. Upon arriving at the Arena, Cyrene gave her a gentle pat on her shoulder before running off.

“Good luck, Chikane-chan! I’ll go check up on Shiue,” The fox-girl called out, “Don’t stay up late too long now, we have training tomorrow!”

And with that, Cyrene left, leaving the young Channeler alone. Chikane just held on to the bento in her hands tighter as she made her way to Kumatora, surrounded by her fellow Guardians, all extending their congratulations to the lion-girl.

“Kuma-chan!” Chikane called out as her ears and tail twitched under her cloak.

Kumatora’s ears perked up at that, surprised to hear the wolf-girl’s voice. A smile showed itself on her face as she made her way to Chikane, surprise clearly evident on her face. She never expected the wolf-girl to be here. The silver-haired Channeler just giggled at the expression the lion-girl has on.

“Mou, I would have told you if you weren’t in such a hurry.” Chikane giggled once more.

Kumatora just scratched the back of her head. Her ears drooped.

“In any case, congratulations, Kuma-chan, “ Chikane gently said as she held out the bento she had prepared to her best friend, “ This is for you.”

Kumatora blinked in surprise. A gift from Chikane was something that caught her off-guard, very much so, that she surprised herself that she was able to take the bento from the wolf-girl. She was about to thank the wolf-girl but stopped short when her best friend was holding a pouch with both hands, presenting it to her.

“And this,” Chikane smiled disarmingly as she presented the gift, the one she had searched for earlier, to the lion-girl.

Kumatora could only blush as she took the pouch. The bento was wonderful enough but this? The lion-girl was beside herself. And she could only flush all the more crimson as she beheld its contents. A simple black choker adorned by a single sakura petal.

“Thank you, Chikane-chan, I..I,” The lion-girl panicked slightly, confused on what to do.

Chikane’s surprise really threw her off. She wanted to put on the choker first but her hands were full, holding both presents. She didn’t want to put the bento down and--

“Mou, Kuma-chan.” Chikane could not help giggle as she reached for the choker then moved behind the taller girl.

Kumatora could only keep still as the silver-haired wolf-girl helped her put the choker on; the sakura petal gently settling on her collarbone. The lion-girl smiled as she turned to Chikane.

“I love it, Chikane-chan.” Kumatora closed her eyes as she grasped the sakura petal, “Thank you.”

Thank you for everything.

“I see you have succeeded with the Eightfold way.”

Both girls blinked at the voice, turning their heads to see an Elder standing a few steps away. His arms crossed on his chest as he stared at Kumatora.

“Let’s hope you don’t make a mistake on the liege you will be choosing to protect.” The Elder smirked, giving one look at Chikane before looking back at Kumatora.

The lion-girl gritted her teeth. Her free hand clenched into a fist as she opened her mouth to speak. Whatever remark or anger she had in her all but vanished when Chikane took her hand into hers and pulled her away. Kumatora could only let herself be pulled along by the wolf-girl, calmed down by that simple notion.

Chikane-chan…

“So that’s the result of your training with Enishi-san?” A certain crimson-haired fox girl inquired, arms crossed across her chest as her tail twitched to and fro.

“Hai, Cyrene-sama.” Shiue nodded his head, not looking up as he was assessing the damage on his armor.

“Hm…So how did Ishikawa-san do?” Cyrene inquired as she watched her Guardian.

“I think Ishikawa just needs to control that temper of hers, “ Shiue turned to the fox-girl and smiled, “But besides that, I think she will be a great Guardian.”

“Sou. “ Cyrene’s voice trailed off, as she stepped towards the half-albatross, “How about you? Anything painful? Just tell me, Meiru-oneesama has been teaching me some techniques on healing and—“

“T-Techniques?” Shiue blinked, a hint of crimson on his face, one that Cyrene did not fail to notice.

It was then that the half-albatross cursed his reaction as the fox-girl grabbed him by the limbs, in a hold way more painful than what he had just been earlier.

“P-pervert! Why is my Guardian such a perv?!” Cyrene exclaimed, a furious blush on her cheeks, “ I’ll show you that Leiru-chan has been showing me techniques as well!”

Shiue paled at that, “N-now wait, C-Cyrene-sama, I-I, I am sorry, I---“

Cyrene tightened her hold, making the Guardian wince in pain and also be reminded how close the fox-girl’s frame was to his. Which only made him flush crimson the more. The crimson-haired girl’s eyes narrowed at that.

“And to think I was so worried!”

“C-Cyrene-sama! I-I’m sorry. I submit…I sub—“ Shiue tried to say as Cyrene just pushed the hold tighter.

And the poor, helpless half-albatross could only scream as loud as he could. No amount of training could ever prepare anyone for a patented Saikiri hold.

After a few moments, a cracking sound was heard, followed by silence.

==
==

Chikane kept silent as she held on to Kumatora’s hand, leading the lion-girl through the crowds in direction of the hut they both shared. She sighed to herself as her ears drooped for a moment; the Elder’s words rang in her mind. Now that Kumatora was a fully-fledged Guardian through the Eightfold way, the lion-girl would now be choosing the liege who she would be protecting for the rest of her life. After all, protecting one’s liege was the duty of a Guardian. The young Channeler shook her head as she held on her best friend’s hand tighter.

“So why am I so uneasy?” Chikane thought to herself.

An image of a half-feline Guardian, complete with a confident grin, flashed into her mind.

“I will protect you, Yanagi-ojousama.” Same Guardian grinned. He waved two fingers as he winked.

Tohryu-san…

“Run. You should get away from here, Yanagi-ojousama.” Tohryu closed his eyes as he spoke, a smile on his face, “I’ll handle this.”

I am sorry.

Chikane blinked, shaking herself out of her reveries as she realized they had both made it back to the hut. Both entered said hut, keeping quiet as they relished the peace they have. Rare it was for them to have time alone yes, but both find it unnecessary to speak when words were not needed. Especially in their shared hut, where they were safe from the pressures and bustling of the outside. Each other’s company was enough.

The silver-haired wolf-girl just smiled as she hung her cloak by the door, watching Kumatora walk in direction of the dining table, obviously to start eating the bento said wolf-girl had just made. Chikane made her way to sit opposite the lion-girl, intent on just to watch her devour the food she had prepared. She enjoyed cooking for Kumatora, even more watching her best friend enjoy eating whatever dish she had prepared. But now, she found it hard to do so. Her thoughts would wander back to Tohryu, the Elder’s words and her own worries.

Mou.

She shook her head as she stood up. Chikane knew she can’t be like this. Not today when Kumatora was in such high spirits. Giving up, she turned to the lion-girl.

“Ne, Kuma-chan, I’ll go take a bath, okay?” Chikane said as she smiled disarmingly , “Just enjoy your bento, I’ll be back in a bit.”

With that, the wolf-girl turned to leave, walking in direction of the hut’s private furo. Typically a luxury but for those training under the temple of Reikitsunagumizu, it was a necessity. Necessity in the sense that it provided Channelers in training at least a way to relax their weary bodies after a long day of training. Chikane was thankful for the furo, as it provided her a chance to gather her thoughts.

Closing the door behind her, the silver-haired wolf-girl started to disrobe, folding her robes and tucking them under her arm before depositing them in a basket. She opened the water reserves, deigning to wash herself first as the furo started to fill with hot water. Chikane poured a bucketful of water over her head, shivering at the cold, wolf ears and tail twitching. She shook her head, trying to focus on what she was doing but her thoughts kept on letting itself known, making her worries and doubts more real for each passing moment. She remembered Tohryu.

Tohryu-san, I am sorry. It is all my fault.

Natsukage Tohryu was a half-feline Guardian assigned to protect the inexperienced Channeler when she made it to Irina. It was only natural as Kumatora was still a fledgling Guardian then, surely not yet up to the task. The Elders found it best to assign him to protect the wolf-girl as he was one of the best in that village. Chikane’s task required protection for sure as she was to help in healing an epidemic which has affected quite a number of villagers.

Chikane took a deep breath as she dipped herself in the warm waters of the furo; the temperature just right. Her muscles relaxed immediately at the warm comforting waters. She couldn’t help stare at her reflection; her own crimson eyes staring at her back. A sigh escaped her lips as she recalled what had happened then.

It was then she was asked to perform a mass healing but due to her inexperience, a number remained unhealed, still stricken. Rage of relatives and family alike incited a rioting crowd; their anger focused on her. It was then that Tohryu stepped in to protect her but even the best of Guardians would be no match for an agitated crowd. Even a horde of Balkens was nothing compared to a rioting bunch, especially since a Guardian was never allowed to hurt unarmed villagers.

It was the greatest honor for any Guardian they said. But…He didn’t have to…

It was said a Guardian laying down his or her life for their liege would be the greatest honor but somehow, Chikane didn’t find anything honorable about someone having to lose their life. True, Tohryu was someone she had just met in Irina but he was quite easy to get along with and was not as rigid as the other Guardians. Why did he have to die? That made her uneasy for it made her aware of how far Guardians were willing to go for their lieges. The wolf-eared girl was worried about Kumatora. Would she do the same?

I should stop this.

Chikane splashed herself with water, trying to break herself free from her reveries. What was she so worried about? Surely Kumatora wouldn’t be aiming for such an honor any time soon. And besides, the lion-girl’s training showed how capable she was. There was nothing to worry about.

She blinked as she realized something.

The young Channeler realized that her best friend’s Guardian duties would depend on the liege she would be choosing. How much risk she would be exposed to, depends on that fact. So who? A list of possible Channelers came to her mind but she could only shake her head when she realized she was also a possibility. At that, the wolf-girl felt torn. True, if Kumatora chose her as her liege, they would always be together. The Elders wouldn’t be able to do anything against that. But that also meant the lion-eared girl would be placed in the same amount of danger Tohryu was exposed to. She wouldn’t want that. She sighed to herself.

I’ll try to talk to Kuma-chan about it but…how?

Chikane rose from the furo. Water dripped down her form as she reached for one of the fluffy towels and started to dry herself, wrapping the said towel around her frame when she finished. The wolf-girl exited the bath, walking in direction of the dining table, where Kumatora had just finished her bento. Chikane’s giggles caught the lion-girl’s attention.

“So, how was the food, Kuma-chan?” Chikane inquired, brushing a few strands of her moist silver hair from her face; a disarming smile on her lips.

Kumatora blinked, cheeks reddening slightly as she beheld the wolf-girl in one of her more vulnerable states. Chikane only has a fluffy white towel around her form; cheeks and skin flushed due to the waters of the furo. The lion-girl could not help feel temptation rise up within her once more. That temptation to reach for the wolf-girl, take her in her arms and to plant a kiss on her lips. Her slender frame would stiffen and that single piece of cloth would fall on the floor, baring the wolf-girl completely. It would then give her the chance to feel in her hands the warmth of the naked girl’s cream hued skin.

“Kuma-chan?” Chikane called out, a look of concern on her face.

Kumatora’s eyes opened wide at that, standing up suddenly as she realized she was daydreaming. The wolf-eared girl’s voice shook her out of her reveries. Nervously, she started her way to the hut’s private furo.

“D-delicious as always, Chikane-chan, “ The lion-girl stammered, “T-thank you.”

What was wrong with her? She had already seen the young Channeler fresh out of bath before. So what was so different now? She shook her head, looking at her best friend directly.

“I really enjoyed it, Chikane-chan, “ Kumatora reassured the wolf-girl, who seemed to be getting the more concerned, “I really appreciate it.”

Kumatora smiled.

“I think I’ll go take a bath now, Chikane-chan, “ The lion-eared girl scratched the back of her head, “It has been a long day, can’t wait to relax in the furo.”

Without waiting for a reply, she dashed to the furo, closing the door behind her as she stepped inside. Kumatora sighed, realizing how awkward the situation she was just in. Well, it didn’t matter. The lion-girl started to disrobe, cringing as she felt the sting of the scars she had received from earlier, joined by old ones she had since training. But the pain of such wounds was nothing now, she thought. She was now a fully-fledged Guardian, she could protect Chikane, and finally return to the wolf-girl all the things she had done for her all these years.

She poured a bucketful of water over her head, shivering once more. Given that, it was only right no, destiny that she we will be choosing Chikane as her liege in the ceremony tomorrow.

Chikane-chan…

Taking a deep breath, Kumatora slowly eased herself into the waters of the furo. She sighed in contentment as the waters helped her tired frame relax. The lion-girl looked up at the ceiling, smiling. Surely the Elders would be against her choice of liege but she has an idea on how to take care of that problem. She just needed to talk to Chikane. Everything will work out.

“K-Kuma-chan?” Chikane’s voice came from behind the door.

Kumatora’s ears perked up at that; her brow furrowing at the tone of the wolf-girl’s voice just now. Being the young Channeler’s friend since childhood, she had learned to tell as she would take into heart every time Chikane would call her name. She could tell the wolf-eared girl’s mood based on small variations in her voice, how happy she was, sad, depressed or worried. And now, she was sure that something was bothering her best friend.

“I am sorry, Kuma-chan, today may not be the best time but…” The wolf-girl started to say; her voice barely a whisper.

A pause.

“I am worried about you, Kuma-chan. You are now a Guardian, I mean, I am happy you finally are one. It’s what you’ve always wanted, right?”

Chikane bit her lip.

“B-But I am also worried to what may happen to you. I don’t, no, I can’t bear it if you end up like Tohryu-san…” Chikane’s voice cracked at the mention of the half-feline Guardian’s name.

Kumatora closed her eyes. Yes, she remembered Tohryu. One of the high-ranking Guardians at Irina. One who had been chosen to protect Chikane and had done his duty as far as any Guardian would. He sacrificed himself to protect the young Channeler, still inexperienced, from a rioting crowd brought upon by a failed Channeling. Though the lion-girl was thankful that Chikane was safe, she felt that Tohryu had thrust onto the wolf-girl the emotional burden of his sacrifice. The half-feline Guardian had forgotten that such a burden was heavy, very much so, especially for the one left behind. And she swore to herself that she would do all that she can so Chikane won’t have to ever go through such again.

“I am also worried we may not see each other anymore. You have to be by your liege’s side, right? That is your duty as Guardian so…I…”

A sob escaped the wolf-girl’s lips and that was enough to prompt Kumatora to move, stepping out of the furo’s waters and opening the door. It was then she saw Chikane sitting on the floor, back turned, hugging her own legs; her frame shivering. The sight almost made the lion-girl break down right there.

“I…I’m sorry…Kuma-chan, I…I’m just---“

Chikane’s frame froze as she felt Kumatora’s arms wrap themselves around her frame, embracing her tightly from behind. The warmth of the taller girl’s own naked frame evident even from under her underkimono. A warmth that comforted her much more than she could herself.

“I remember what happened to Tohryu-san, Chikane-chan. I know it can happen to me. “ Kumatora whispered into Chikane’s ear. “But I don’t want that to happen to me because if it did, I know, I won’t be able to see and talk to you anymore.”

The lion-girl embraced the young Channeler tighter.

“I would lose the reason I became a Guardian. I would lose the person that has given me the strength and courage to be who I am today. “ Kumatora smiled, “ You are important to me. And I don’t want to lose you.”

The lion-girl took a deep breath.

“As for us not being able to see each other anymore, well…” Kumatora giggled softly, “I have taken care of that, so I want you to attend the ceremony tomorrow, or else, I will be very angry with you. Ne?”

She turned the wolf-girl to face her, gently wiping the tears from Chikane’s eyes with a finger.

“So stop crying, ne, Chikanecchi?” Kumatora smiled disarmingly as she used the nickname she had given the wolf-girl when they were younger; one that showed more affection than a suffix could manage.

“H-hai.” Chikane softly replied, a healthy blush on her cheeks.

She wasn’t expecting for Kumatora to call her by that name. Chikane had feared the lion-girl won’t ever again, more so now that her best friend was a fully-fledged Guardian. She could only close her eyes as Kumatora hugged her once more. The warmth of their contact melting all her fears and worries away.

“I promise to be there tomorrow...” Chikane whispered.

I promise.

==
==

“Eh? Again?,” Cyrene inquired, fox ears and tail twitching furiously. Her arms crossed across her chest. “Are you sure, Chikane-chan?”

The crimson-haired fox girl closed her eyes, deep in thought. She started massaging her temple as she tried to process what her apprentice had requested. Apparently, the silver-haired wolf-girl wanted to skip training once again for today, in lieu of going to Kumatora’s Choosing of the Liege Ceremony. As much as she knew how important the lion-girl was to Chikane, somehow, she knew it wouldn’t be a good idea to delay any of the young Channeler’s training even further.

“But Chikane-chan, you know we can’t…,” Cyrene began. “Hey! That’s not fair!” she snapped out as she frowned, with her hands on her hips.

What was unfair was that the wolf-eared girl had crossed her arms across her chest, turning away from her mentor. Her eyes were closed, lips curled tight in a frown. Her wolf ears closed over each other as her tail swiftly moved from side to side. Cyrene very well knew what this means. Chikane won’t be listening to anything she has to say anytime soon.

The fox-eared girl sighed in defeat. It was pointless to argue.

“Fine, Chikane-chan, “ Cyrene finally said, “We’ll go.”

And with that, Chikane brightened up, all smiles, quite infectious really. The fox-girl couldn’t help smile at that as well. But still, she wondered how she could use this behavior of Chikane’s in their training sessions. The wolf-girl would be usually passive with everything and would just do as she was told. But when it concerned Kumatora, she would change so much. Cyrene couldn’t help notice that.

Well, she’ll cross that bridge later. For now, the fox-girl wondered how they would be attending Kumatora’s ceremony as this one was different from the previous. The Choosing of the Liege Ceremony was a more private one and its location was only known to Guardians. Maybe that would discourage her apprentice. She turned to Shiue.

“Shiue, do you know where the Ceremony is going to be held?” Cyrene asked as her azure eyes seemed to be hinting to her Guardian her intentions.

“I do, Cyrene-sama. It’s…” Shiue started to say, totally missing his liege’s hint.

Cyrene’s eyes narrowed at him. She tried all with all her effort not to tackle the half-albatross and start pinching his cheeks as hard as she could. The Guardian in question paled as he finally realized what his liege was up to, a wee bit too late.

“M-Maa. Take us there then.” Cyrene finally said as normally as she could despite the shaking in her frame. One that Shiue didn’t fail to notice of course.

“H-Hai, Cyrene-sama.”, Shiue nervously replied before bowing as protocol dictates.

“I thought you knew where it is!” Cyrene exclaimed as she pinched her Guardian’s cheeks rather painfully. The half-albatross could only squirm in pain.

The trio had just made it to one of Sakura’s smaller branch platforms. It was a significant distance from the Esuna temple where Channelers would train. Isolated and hard to get to, even with wings. On a normal day, there was nothing special about the platform but apparently, it was chosen as the place for the Choosing of Liege Ceremony.

“B-but I do…” Shiue tried to say, finding it hard to talk normally due to the fox-girl’s pinching torture, “I-it’s just there are Elder Guardians about and…”

Whatever Shiue had to say was lost as Cyrene gave his cheeks one long tug before turning to her apprentice who was just watching them. Chikane kept quiet, admittedly a bit envious of her mentor’s and Guardian’s relationship.

“Maa. At least we made it, ne, Chikane-chan?” Cyrene smiled; her eyes narrowing Shiue. “A bit late but we made it.”

“Hai.”

“Well, go on. Ishikawa-san is probably waiting for you, “ The fox-eared girl waved a hand at Chikane as her other continued pinching one of Shiue’s cheeks.

Chikane nodded at that, making her way to the platform’s center. She was a bit nervous to what will happen but it was Kumatora who had asked her to come. Surely there won’t be anything to worry about. In the distance she could see the lion-girl in front of a council of Elders but she couldn’t hear what they were saying. She made to move closer to hear what was being said. Her heart beating in tandem with the sounds her boots would make on the wooden floor.

“I choose Yanagi Chikane as my liege.” Kumatora proclaimed, in a voice that silenced everyone.

The young Channeler blinked at that. Her body froze on the spot at her best friend’s proclamation, one that seemed to make her worries resurface from her mind. But the voice of an Elder shook her from her reveries.

“This is preposterous, Ishikawa!” One of the Elders snapped at the lion-girl, anger clearly evident.

“We allowed you to stay with Yanagi during your training and hers but you…” Another Elder started to say, “We absolutely cannot allow this.“

Chikane’s crimson eyes narrowed at that. No, they weren’t going to get in their way, she thought. Not again.

“I accept.” Chikane proclaimed as everyone turned to her. “I accept Ishikawa Kumatora as my Guardian.”

The Elders were all silenced as they turned to the wolf-girl who was now walking towards Kumatora. One tried to speak but found it best to keep silent as he was stared down by Chikane.

“Seeing this concerns me, I think it is only natural what I have to say is what’s important.” Chikane said firmly as she looked at everyone then turned to Kumatora, “Ishikawa-san.”

The lion-girl in question nodded, approaching the wolf-eared girl. She knelt on one knee before Chikane as she placed the weapon the Elders had provided her to be her weapon as Guardian on the floor beside her. A giant hammer. Its haft almost as tall as the lion-girl herself, its hammer head seemingly made of one solid block of silver steel and on its peen was a glowing Reiki crystal.

“Hai, Yanagi-sama.” Kumatora said as she looked up the wolf-girl.

“I am counting on you, Ishikawa-san.” Chikane smiled. A breeze carrying a rain of sakura brushed past.

And Kumatora bowed in reply.

Hai, Chikane-chan.

~+~

End of Chapter 1
~+~

This is me. This is how she sees me. Everything in this canvas. What I feel, what she feels. It is all here. But I wonder, if it really is the truth.

A silver-haired wolf-girl thought to herself as she stood before her own portrait, still undone. She couldn’t help immerse herself in her thoughts even more when she reached out to touch the painting, closing her eyes as she did so. The texture of the dried paint tickled her palm, especially when she traced their lines and contours with her hands. She couldn’t help but smile as the vision of the artist came to her mind, moving her brush in the same manner she was right now.

“High Priestess.” Came a voice from behind her, jolting the wolf-girl from her reveries.

“Hai.” She replied, turning to the owner of the voice. A half-eagle Guardian.

“It is time we take our leave, High Priestess.” The Guardian spoke flatly as he bowed slightly.

“The painting is not yet finished.” The wolf-eared girl replied softly, “I don’t want to leave it incomplete.”

The Guardian gritted his teeth but he did his best to hide it from his liege.

“We cannot stay longer than we already did. “ The half-eagle tried again, “Our duty and responsibilities call for us to depart imme---“

“Please don’t lecture me about duty and responsibility.” The wolf-girl interrupted. Her voice firm but still gentle.

She paused as she looked at the painting again.

“I’ve done everything the Elders have asked me to do, what everyone had asked me to do. Even what the Goddess herself has entrusted to me. My duties and responsibilities, I have done them all to the best of my ability.”

“Yes, you have, High Priestess but…” The Guardian started to say.

Biting her lip, she closed her eyes.

“I want to see the painting finished.” The silver haired wolf-girl finally said, “This is my duty and responsibility to myself. So please…”

“B-But…”

“Please, just a little longer.” The girl pleaded.

“You do too much for her and…” The Guardian tried again.

“Just a little longer.”

“Very well.” The half-eagle just nodded his head. Looks like nothing he could say can get to his liege.

Both kept silent after their exchange, unaware that a certain painter had heard everything. That painter who was at a loss for what she had just heard.

==
==

Chapter 2: The Seal

Channeling Reiki has always been more of a learned skill than a talent. Especially one’s own capability in controlling their own channeling ability. Though one’s affinity for channeling Reiki’s energies could be seen in a young age, being able to control the flow of the energies takes a considerable amount of training depending on the Channeler’s own natural affinity, dedication and determination. Though the Goddess’ energies were said to be unlimited, the vessel, the bodies of the Channelers, surely aren’t. That was why training was required for any Channeler, that is, if they don’t want to end up losing their own lives channeling the Goddess’ energies. The strain of handling the energies of a deity could prove fatal if not controlled properly. Those who serve under the temple of Reikitsunagumizu are very aware of that fact. That was the reason they are dedicated in training Channelers.
Any temple of Reikitsunagumizu is the best place to train one’s own Channeling abilities and Sakura’s was no exception.

==

“Again.” A certain fox-eared Saikiri commanded as she tried to hide her disappointment to no avail. Her lips curling into a frown.

“H-Hai.” A silver-haired wolf-girl replied weakly, obviously out of breath.

Taking a deep breath, she raised both hands over a row of Reiki crystals. Twenty of them to say the least, all of varying sizes. She closed her eyes as she began to concentrate, to channel Reiki once more. Seconds later did the warm green glow of Reiki filled the room. Slowly, the Reiki crystals themselves began to glow, one by one, brighter for each second that passed. A weak cracking sound broke the gentle hum of the green energy, right at the sixteenth crystal, followed by a snap and another louder cracking sound akin to the sound of shattering glass.

“Kya!” The young Channeler could only squeak as the sound of the breaking Reiki crystals broke her concentration. She was forced to step back, causing her to lose her balance and fall on her bottom on the wooden floor. “I-Itai…”

“Chikane-chan! Are you okay?” Cyrene inquired just as she rushed over to the wolf-eared girl, concern on her face.

“Hai.” Chikane said weakly as she nodded her head before looking up to her mentor. She forced a smile. “I’m sorry. I failed again.”

The crimson fox-girl shook her head before smiling herself. She settled herself before the wolf-girl and reached out with her hand, patting the shorter girl on the head. To be honest, the young Channeler was doing well given how high her affinity was to Reiki’s energies. Being able to channel that much of the Goddess’ energy to charge more than ten crystals was a feat already itself. Cyrene was aware of her apprentice’s potential but she knew that the wolf-girl could do better. For one, it was just that she knew something was holding Chikane back. If she could just find out what it was and as one who trains Channelers like her father, she knew getting that out of the way would help Chikane reach her full potential. The lone Yanagi offspring wasn’t deemed a reincarnate of the Goddess for nothing.

“Don’t worry too much about it, Chikane-chan,” Cyrene reassured the young Channeler, “You’re probably tired. We’ve been at it since this morning.”

“H-Hai.” Chikane blushed slightly at the feel of her mentor’s hand on her head, “But I am okay. We can still continue.”

There was that too Cyrene thought to herself. The determination to be able to grasp her Channeling abilities was evident on the wolf-girl and Cyrene was thankful for that. It just made training the young Channeler all the more easier. The fox girl just giggled as her fox ears and tail twitched.
“I know you want to make up for the time we lost, Chikane-chan,” Cyrene said softly, “But knowing when to rest is part of training too. “

“B-But…” Chikane began; her wolf ears drooped.

“Besides, it’s almost time for lunch, “ The crimson-haired Saikiri waved a finger, “ I think Shiue and Ishikawa-san will be bringing the food in soon. So, take it easy, okay?”

“Hai, Cyrene-sama.” Chikane nodded her head. She knew it was best to listen to her mentor.

“However…” Cyrene spoke flatly. The sudden seriousness in her mentor’s voice made the wolf-eared girl blink, “Ne, Chikane-chan, why do you do this? Why are you a Channeler? Why did you accept this role to be the Goddess’ reincarnate?”

“I…I…” The young Channeler fidgeted a bit as she tried to find an answer.

Cyrene kept her stare at the wolf-girl, doing her best to notice each of her apprentice’s reactions. She had always asked Chikane those questions, but never ever got a straight answer. Somehow, she wondered if that was the thing holding her apprentice back. Usually she would just let the questions hang in the air but now, Cyrene found it best to speak as she realized how more important the answers were, and what depended on them.

“The duty and responsibilities of Channelers are heavy. Much more in your case. Such is the way for one being able to channel the Goddess’ energies, “ Cyrene spoke in a serious tone, “But it is still the choice of one to accept or refuse such roles. “

The crimson-haired fox-girl nodded her head.

“Channelers are regarded as important and special, that is only natural as they also put themselves at risk equal to those of the Guardians that protect them, if not more, “Cyrene continued, her face softened for a moment, “ So Chikane-chan, why did you decide this for yourself?”

No answer. The wolf-eared girl kept silent as she avoided her mentor’s gaze. Cyrene sighed. Looks like the answer was still out of reach. But somehow, she thought, if Chikane was doing everything not for the right reasons then that maybe where the problem lies. One would offer one’s being to channeling Reikitsunagumizu’s energies, any hesitations or doubts would surely manifest itself.

Cyrene’s fox ears twitched once.

“Maa. I think Shiue and Ishikawa-san’s here.” She smiled at Chikane, “Let’s get ready for lunch.”

Did I…really had a choice? Chikane thought to herself as all four of them started to eat lunch.

The wolf-eared girl’s thoughts wandered back to her parent’s faces when she was selected to be the Goddess’ Reincarnate; how they looked so happy more than they ever did. The Elder’s words came back to her on that moment, when she had just woken up after she had channeled as much of Reiki’s energies as she could. Out of desperation, out of the need to save Kumatora. That one time she actually was thankful she could channel Reiki’s energies.

“Yanagi-sama?” Kumatora called out to the wolf-girl, concern on her face, “Is something the matter?”

The voice of her best friend shook Chikane out of her reveries and made her realize she was looking at the lion-girl. All she could do was smile as not to worry her Guardian.

“N-Nothing, Kuma-chan. I’m just…” The young Channeler stammered, “A bit tired I guess…I’m okay, don’t worry.”

Kumatora’s brow furrowed at that but she nodded her head as she found it wise not to prod the wolf-eared girl on the matter any further, at least not now. Still, she couldn’t help feel something was wrong but then again, this was actually the first time she was able to be in vicinity of Chikane’s training. Limited was her knowledge on Channeling but she was sure that it took a toll on a Channeler, physically and mentally. So maybe that was it.
Still, the lion-eared girl wondered if there was anything else more she can do for Chikane.

Lunch promptly ended after that. Both Shiue and Kumatora took it upon themselves to clean up, taking the used utensils with them back to the temple wards. However, the blonde lion-girl’s thoughts were still on Chikane. But she did her best to hide her concerns, donning on the flat expression Guardians were meant to have, however, it appeared the half-albatross was more perceptive than Kumatora gave him credit for.

“You shouldn’t worry too much, Ishikawa.” Shiue spoke up as they were walking back to the room where their lieges were training.
Kumatora blinked at that, shaking her head.

“No, I am not…” The lion-eared girl started to say.

“Though it is our duty as Guardians to be concerned about the welfare of our lieges, “ Shiue continued, “ It is also important we have faith on our lieges.”

Kumatora just nodded.

“Cyrene-sama knows what she is doing and I’m sure Yanagi-sama does as well,” The half-albatross Guardian smiled, “So, let’s just wait and believe in them, okay?”

“Hai, Shiue-san.” Kumatora replied firmly.

Chikane-chan…

“Cyrene-sama.” Chikane called out to the fox-eared girl, who was busy setting up Reiki crystals for her apprentice.

“Hm? What is it, Chikane-chan?” Cyrene blinked before looking up from what she was doing, concern on her face.

The young Channeler fidgeted a bit as her wolf ears and tail twitched. She took a deep breath and started to speak.

“I chose to be a Channeler and accepted my role as the Goddess’ reincarnate because, “ Chikane spoke flatly; her voice firm despite her nervousness, “I don’t want anyone important to me be hurt and if I can, ease their pain. My parents, my friends and everyone.”

Especially Kuma-chan…

“Sou ne.” Cyrene smiled at the wolf-girl’s answer as she stood up.

The crimson-haired Saikiri giggled to herself as her fox-ears twitched. Somehow she expected that answer from Chikane but now, she has an idea what could be the problem. She smiled at her apprentice.

“As Channelers, we can do that. Heal those who are most important to us, however… “ Cyrene winked at the wolf-eared girl before continuing, “We need to believe in them too as they believe in us.”

Chikane blinked at that.

“We should believe that they also care about us and would be willing to go as far as we do.” The crimson-haired Saikiri said as she reached for the shorter girl, patting her head, “We are never alone with our feelings.”

“That is why we should never be afraid, “ Cyrene continued, “Our feelings will reach them and they will receive them that is why they would also do the same.”

The fox-eared girl smiled.

“So don’t be scared, ne Chikane-chan?” She giggled, “I’m sure everyone is thankful for you, especially Ishikawa-san, more so now that she is your Guardian.”

Chikane couldn’t help feel her cheeks redden at that. Her mentor only giggled at her expression.

“Saa, let’s continue with training, ne?”

“Hai, Cyrene-sama.” The young Channeler smiled as a feeling of relief filled her from within.

Thank you, Cyrene-sama.

Chikane could not help sigh in contentment as she lowered herself in the furo’s warm waters. The water gently began to take away all the stress and fatigue from her exhausted frame. Her wolf ears and tail twitched in delight as she recalled how happy and impressed Cyrene was during their training session earlier. The wolf-girl found herself doing better than before but she had only her mentor to thank for that. Somehow, the young Channeler felt a bit more at ease at channeling so to a degree and it really showed during the latter part of the day. Still, that didn’t change the fact channeling Reiki really takes a toll on a Channeler’s body. Again, she was really thankful for the furo.

I just need to keep this up until tomorrow. Just a little bit more and I should be able to—

“Chikane-chan?” Kumatora’s voice came from behind the door, shaking Chikane out her reveries.

“Hai? Kuma-chan, what is it?” The wolf-eared girl inquired, tilting her head as she did.

A pause.

“Um…W-would you like me to wash your back?” The blonde Guardian finally said, albeit a bit too quickly.

Chikane blinked at that as a slight tinge of crimson made itself evident on her face. Closing her eyes for a moment, she recalled Cyrene’s words and just smiled.

“Okay, Kuma-chan. I would like that.” Chikane replied as she giggled, “Hold on a bit.”

Kumatora took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself down. Her hands opening and closing into fists as she did so. She had been thinking about it all day, what she could do for Chikane. The lion-eared girl was aware of how exhausted Chikane must be so she felt this was one thing she could do to help the wolf-girl relax. The reality of what she was about to do only came when the young Channeler actually agreed to what she asked.

Calm down, Kumatora. This is the least you can do for Chikane-chan.

The lion-eared girl fidgeted a bit in her shift as she heard Chikane rise from the furo’s waters. She shook her head as she tried her hardest to calm herself down. Kumatora knew she had to or else her best friend won’t feel relaxed at all.

“Hai, Kuma-chan, “Chikane called out from inside the furo, “You can come in now.”

Kumatora cleared her throat.

“H-hai!” The lion-girl replied as she slid the sliding door of the furo open, closing her eyes. A blush made itself know on her face as she inhaled the air, mixed of soap with a slight hint of oranges and the smell of the furo’s waters, “P-Pardon my intrusion.”

She slowly creak her eyes open and suddenly had to clamp all of her temptations down. There was Chikane sitting on one of the furo’s sandal wood stools, her long silver hair tied securely with one of the furo’s towels, her moist back exposed; turned facing the lion-girl and only a towel on her front for modesty. Her wolf tail moved from side to side as she waited for Kumatora. Said Guardian found herself frozen on the spot, staring at the wolf-eared girl.

It was then she realized that she just needed to reach for Chikane; one hand wrapping around the smaller girl’s waist while her other would reach to cup the wolf-eared girl’s chin. She would then turn the young Channeler to her so she could finally taste those lips she had been yearning to taste for so long. Her other hand would now be able to roam the girl’s moist frame, feeling the warmth of the cream-hued skin, exploring and teasing, making its way to that spot where she knew, she could finally deepen that feeling of possession she had. That was all she needed to do and she would be---

“Kuma-chan? I-its getting a bit cold.” Chikane softly said as she shivered a bit.

Kumatora blinked at that, shaking her head as she realized she just had to stop. She mumbled a hasty apology before sliding the furo’s door closed, to keep the cold evening air from coming in the small confines of the furo. It was then she reached for one of the furo’s bars of soap before settling herself, sitting on her knees, behind Chikane. After pouring a bucketful of water on her best friend’s back, she started to work up a lather on her hands before reaching out to the wolf-eared girl, spreading it all over her smooth back. The young Channeler’s frame stiffened at the warm sensation of Kumatora’s surprisingly soft hands, a contrast to the water’s temperature, but eased up eventually as said girl continued rubbing her palms against her skin.

Concentrate, just focus on what you are doing. Kumatora thought to herself, reminding herself how she had trained herself to do such. She then reached for one of the sponges provided in the furo and started to rub the soap lather off Chikane who couldn’t help shiver again at the sensation.

“Feels like back then, ne, Kuma-chan?” Chikane finally said, breaking the silence between the two of them.

Kumatora blinked as her concentration was broken.

“H-hai.” She replied nervously.

“When we were younger you would wash my back, just like this.” Chikane giggled as her tail seemed to sway a bit faster. She was clearly enjoying what her best friend was doing.

“H-hai.” Kumatora kicked herself mentally as she realized she had nothing else to say. Her tongue felt unresponsive and her throat dry.

“Kuma-chan?” The wolf-eared girl called out; her voice barely a whisper.

“H-hai?”

“Thank you,” Chikane said as she closed her eyes, a smile on her face, “Thank you for everything.”

Kumatora stopped at that as a smile formed on her lips, accompanied by a blush on her cheeks.

“W-What are you saying, Chikane-chan?” She giggled herself as she continued her hands’ motions, “I should be the one thanking you, you know.”

“Sou?” The young Channeler replied, a lone crimson eye opened as she turned slightly to Kumatora.

“Hai, Chikane-chan.”

And the two started giggling, just content on each other’s company. Enjoying the light, warm and comforting feeling it brings the two of them.

==
==

Cyrene could not help but give a long sigh. Her fox ears and tail drooped, two fingers on her temple and a slightly annoyed look on her face as she tried to gather her thoughts. The source of her annoyance was the missive she held on her other hand, one that came from the Higher Elders. She shook her head.

What were they thinking? Sure, Chikane-chan has improved a lot but seriously? Now?

The crimson-haired Saikiri sighed once more before turning to the half-feline Guardian who was kneeling on one knee before her, head down, not looking at the fox-girl directly. That particular female Guardian who was donned in a modified short lilac and white kimono of sorts. Her kimono’s upper sleeves cut off to expose its wearer’s shoulders and uppers arms and its white lower sleeves oversized to the point it covered the Guardian’s gauntleted hands. The hem of the kimono was cut short, exposing most of the half-feline’s legs but white stockings adorned with the tribal markings of the Kurori Akaiko tribe, reached up to her thighs to hide them from view. A pair of split toed tabi boots completed the Guardian’s ensemble.

“Saikiri-sama?” Said Guardian called out.

“Hai. I apologize,” Cyrene shook her head; her long crimson hair swaying in tandem, “Are the High Elders sure about this?”

The fox-eared girl did her best not to frown as the Guardian looked up at her. The half-feline was wearing a black Kitsune mask, obscuring whatever expression she had on. Two white cat ears peeked out of the Guardian’s long purple hair, tied in a secure long braid that ran the length of her back to her tail. Her tail’s tip was white as well and Cyrene couldn’t help notice the small round golden bell tied to the Guardian’s tail, near its tip, just like the ones the Guardian has on the choker around her neck and the straps of her boots.

“Hai. Tsukihana-sama himself was the one who insisted on it.”

Cyrene’s brow furrowed at that as her arms crossed across her chest.

Tsukihana Amatsu, huh.

“Well I told them before, I don’t think Yanagi-sama is ready for that yet. She needs a bit more training before they can go ahead with what they want to do.” The crimson haired Saikiri replied flatly.

“But it is imperative that Yanagi-sama goes through the ceremony as I was told, “The half-feline replied, “We need the help of the Goddess’ reincarnate as soon as possible.”

“I see.” The fox-eared girl said as she closed her eyes, pondering her thoughts.

“I think the ceremony will help Yanagi-sama as well,” The Guardian added, “ Tsukihana-sama said so.”

He really thinks so? Cyrene thought to herself. Though it was true she felt that Chikane wasn’t fully ready yet but it was also true that there were those who need the help of the Goddess Reikitsunamizu’s avatar as soon as possible. As her mentor, she wanted the young Channeler to train a bit more but she knew she can’t keep Chikane away from her duties as Reikitsunamizu’s Reincarnate longer than she has been now.

“Fine.” The crimson-haired fox-girl finally said, “I’ll let Yanagi-sama go through the ceremony. I assume the preparations are set?”

The half-feline nodded.

“Hai, Saikiri-sama. I have escorted all the Channelers needed.” The Guardian said, “We just need some time to settle the other arrangements.”

All of them? The fox-eared girl did her best not to act too surprised.

“I see.” Cyrene nodded, “Then I’ll introduce you to Yanagi-sama then, at least she should be aware of your presence and the ceremony.”

“Hai.” The kimono-garbed half-feline bowed once more.

“I am Mitose Houko, Guardian to High Elder Tsukihana Amatsu of the Kurori Akaiko. “

The purple-haired Guardian kneeled on one knee before Chikane. She reached for her Kitsune mask, moving it to the side of her head as she looked up to the young Channeler. Her azure eyes glowed underneath her bangs as a small smile curled her lips.

“I am honored to finally meet the Goddess’ Reincarnate, Yanagi Chikane-sama. I will be of service to you from now on.”

Houko bowed low, touching her forehead on the floor as she closed her eyes. Chikane blinked at that before shaking her head as she bowed herself.

“H-Hai. I am Yanagi Chikane, Reincarnate to the Goddess. I am at your care.” The wolf-eared girl managed to say.

Not like she could help it. Chikane has been through a number of surprises today. Just as she had arrived in the temple for training, her mentor, Cyrene, had just told her she would be going through the Ceremony of Sealing, a ceremony a Goddess Reincarnate has to go through. It was said the ceremony was to amplify one’s own Channeling abilities and also, only a Reincarnate of the Goddess could even dream of being able to be allowed to it.

And then now, this half-feline Guardian now stood before her, introducing herself. What really took Chikane by surprise that this cat-eared girl was actually an Elder Guardian.

A bell tinkled which jolted the wolf-girl out of her reveries. Plus Cyrene’s voice.

“Chikane-chan? What’s wrong?” The crimson-haired Saikiri inquired as she noticed her apprentice has gone quiet.
Chikane shook her head at that.

“It’s nothing, Cyrene-sama.” The young Channeler said as she fidgeted a bit, “It’s just I am a bit, well, worried about the Ceremony.”

“There’s nothing to worry about, Chikane-chan.” The fox-eared girl said as she gave a smile, “I’m pretty sure you will be fine. Also, everything we need is being prepared as we speak, right, Mitose-san?”

“Hai, Saikiri-sama.” The half-feline replied as she stood up, “Preparations should be done by nightfall. We should be ready by then.”

“S-So soon?” Chikane blinked at that.

“Hai, Yanagi-sama.” Houko turned to the wolf-girl, “We need your presence as the Goddess’ Avatar as soon as possible. That is why we made sure to get the Ceremony done as soon as we can.”

“S-Sou.” The young Channeler bit her lip.

“Chikane-chan…” Cyrene started to say but Chikane just smiled as she waved her hands in front of her.

“It is okay, Cyrene-sama. It’s just as you said. I’ll be fine, right?” Chikane said as her wolf ears and tail twitched.

“Hai.” The purple-haired Guardian nodded as she reassured both Channelers before her, giving a small smile as she did so, “Now I would like to introduce to you the Channelers that will be helping us in the Ceremony, Yanagi-sama.”

“H-hai, Houko-san.”

Houko beckoned for five Channelers to approach the wolf-eared girl. All five bowed before introducing themselves as Chikane tried to introduce herself as properly as she could despite her worries. Maybe there wasn’t anything to worry about really, for one, Cyrene herself has faith she could do it. As always, the young Channeler realized she should follow and believe what her mentor thinks.

Kumatora shook her head as she tried to calm herself down. Somehow, she never expected she would be standing and waiting alone outside the room where Chikane would undergo her training. It was quite unusual, she also noted, for Shiue not to be around. The half-albatross probably got asked by his liege on an errand she thought. She sighed; her lion ears twitched once then twice as her tail swayed to and fro.

What’s going on today?

The blonde Guardian couldn’t help herself. Something was up and she could feel it. The day started normally as always; her escorting Chikane to the temple of Reikitsunamizu and her, well, staying on guard outside the young Channeler’s training room but the air was different. It was as if everyone in the temple was bustling around more than usual. Maybe it was nothing. The lion-girl hoped so and more importantly, it was nothing related to her best friend.

Finally the door to the room slid opened and was followed by the sounds of giggles. Kumatora counted five as her lion ears twitched.

“So that was Yanagi-sama?” One exclaimed followed by a laugh.

The lion-eared girl blinked at the mention of Chikane.

“I guess so.” Another replied, “I’m pretty much disappointed.”

Kumatora’s brow furrowed at that.

“Sou sou.” A third voice piped in, “I expected someone more, I don’t know---“

“Someone who leaves a better impression.” The fourth interrupted; her voice cold and harsh.

The blonde Guardian clenched her hands into fists as she did her best to push her rage down.

“I just can’t believe we have to depend on someone like that.” The last one said, stressing her last word in such a tone Kumatora was barely able to contain herself.

And she didn’t as she made her way to the group and standing in their way. Her face once more donned the flat expressions meant for Guardians but her hands were clenched into fists and her frame was shaking slightly. Kumatora’s eyes narrowed slightly as she stared at the group of Channelers before her. One blinked, the one directly in front of her to be exact, at the lion-eared girl.

“Who are you?” She asked with an irritated tone.

Kumatora did her very best to stay calm.

“I would like to request you to take back what you said about Yanagi-sama. Its—“

The young Guardian managed to say as flatly as she could despite the rising rage within her that wanted to just slap the Channeler before her. But she didn’t. She knew the consequences of doing such. However, the lion-girl knew she just couldn’t just stand and do nothing. Just like the many times before when people would always take pleasure in talking behind Chikane’s back.

“What if we don’t want to?” Another one piped up.

Kumatora gritted her teeth at that and would have launched herself right at that Channeler if not for the sound of a bell tinkling followed by a hand gingerly resting on her shoulder. She turned to the source of the sound and the hand’s owner. A slightly taller purple-haired half-feline stood next to her with a gentle smile on her face.

What? Who are you? Kumatora thought to herself, obviously taken aback as she never noticed the Guardian’s presence at all.

“Mitose-sama!” One of the Channelers called out.

Said Guardian closed her eyes at that but her smile never left her face before turning to the Channeler that had called her.

“Who is this? And what gives her the right to talk to us like that? We---“ Another started to say.

“Though it is my responsibility to escort you all as a Guardian, “ Houko interrupted, her voice in a monotone, “My duty ends when you yourselves pick a fight and put yourselves at risk. Ne?” Her smiled widened.

“H-hai.” The group of Channelers collectively replied before meekly shuffling off, leaving in a huff.

The half-feline just shook her head as she made to follow but stopped after a few steps and turned her head slightly to Kumatora.

“I apologize about my lieges.” Houko said softly and gently as she turned herself fully, “They are my responsibility so I apologize for any inconvenience they may have caused you, Kumatora-dono.”

Kumatora could only blink at the Guardian before her who just smiled at her expression.

“So you are Yanagi-sama’s Guardian?” The cat-eared girl said, “Heh. Where are my manners, I am Mitose Houko, Guardian to High Elder Tsukihana Amatsu of the Kurori Akaiko.” She bowed slightly.

“H-hai. Ishikawa Kumatora, Guardian to Yanagi Chikane-sama.” The blonde lion-girl managed to say as she bowed in reply.

“Haha. Well, we’ll be seeing each other for a while so, “ Houko’s cat ears twitched as the bell on her tail tinkled, “Let’s get along, ne?”

“Hai, Houko-san. “ Kumatora replied, nodding her head.

Houko nodded as well and turned to leave but not without flashing another smile at the lion-eared girl. The blonde-Guardian did her best to smile back to hide her own confusion to what had just occurred.

What was that all about?

Pages: 1 2