The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Gundam _AGE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
One thing we should never forget about Gundam: The very fact that Mobile Suit Gundam's original target audience were children.
ahaha didn't know that bit XD
To be fair, Yoshiyuki Tomino's original plan was for Mobile Suit Gundam was way more than just a simple kiddie cartoon. He had envisioned a sci-fi drama that would overtake even the scale of Space Battleship Yamato, which was at that time, considered to be the pinnacle of Japanese animation. Supposedly, Yasuhiko Yoshikazu, his lead animator had reservations about this and the following dialogue was exchanged

Yas - "This is a full-blown sci-fi drama. I don't know how you managed to fool the sponsors but this is totally different from any giant robot anime to date. What you are trying to do is TEN YEARS too soon, the viewers won't be able to keep up!"
Tomino - "If that is the case, we will just have to make ten years go by with our own hands."

The problem emerged after Kuroba Shichirou of Bandai, the show's sponsor, had reviewed the proposed designs of the lead mecha and deemed it "too plain" since the Gundam's original coloration was supposed to be all white.

Kuroba - "I've taken a good look at Gundam and White Base's designs. They're good, i like them. There is one thing i didn't like though
Tomino - "You don't like...?"
Kuroba - "The main mecha is completely white. Can you make it more flashy and colorful?"
Tomino - "Ahh that. Then let me ask you a question. Mr. President, where in the world would you find a colorful weapon? Fighter jets, aircraft carries... all modern weapons. They all feature a simple color scheme. Gundam is a drama taking place on the battlefiled. To give it realism, a white robot is needed.
Kuroba - "Aren't you misunderstanding something, huh?"
Tomino - Misunderstanding something?"
Kuroba - "Who said you are to design a weapon? I said you are to create an anime for selling toys to children. War, a drama? IF IT CAN'T PEDDLE MERCHANDISE, THIS ANIME ISN'T WORTH SHIT!"

Thankfully, Yas was able to intervene and provided a quick sketch of the soon-to-be official colors of the Gundam. Satisfied that the new colors would provide enough eye candy for children and sell well, Kuroba allowed production to start. In the end, the greedy corporate executives allowed Gundam to flourish as long as there was profit to be had and the kids were the key to that profit.
By using candy colors they were able to market war dramas to japanese kids

Meanwhile in the US:

I... I think I just died inside a little from watching that.
(09-16-2011, 03:00 PM)Zefyr Wrote: [ -> ]I... I think I just died inside a little from watching that.

Will you let us play 'Staying Alive' at your funeral a little?

Yeah. That was messed up. That's where they've been practicing with before they did those Hollywood anime movies.
Just bring back Sid Mead
I'm actually preferring the basic AGE-1 MS compared to the others. At least it doesn't look over the top.
Yay! Another Gundam OO variant!
Gundam Age Riser?

Gundam Age Super Double Zeta?

At least the designs of the mechs look fine... well, they usually always do anyway XD
the middle AGE robot wings looks like anubis wings in zoe
The one in the middle looks like it took a cue from the Qan(T), while the one on the right seems to have armor parts from the ZZ and the heavy beam rifle from the Providence.
I wonder though with every generation it seems to get... bulkier. Is that their idea of upgrading it?

NEEDS MOAR GUNZ

NEEDS MOAR ARMOR

By the fifth generation I'm thinking it would look like the Dendrobium or something XD
I'm at episode 20 right now.

My impressions of the series by far:

[Image: 5rsZQ.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3