The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Flash fiction dump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
since i rarely write lengthy pieces, i'll just post my short short stories in this thread. comments and suggestions, please put it in the critique thread or PM me. enjoy reading..i hope ^^u

writing exercise 1 "war"
by ~zk306

152. That's how many moving parts a typical Talon MkII Infrantry Class Enhanced Armor has. Even an experienced pilot, complimented with a fully automated command system, will have a hard time making the unit move efficiently. If at any time the command system fails and control of its actuators were set to manual, then the pilot is practically left with a five ton paper weight.

The complexity of the unit's controls however did not seem to hinder the pilot of unit 306. The black and white Talon Mk II moved gracefully about the training grounds. It's movement was swift and almost lifelike as it performed a kata. The electronic sounds of its actuators rapidly activating and deactivating along with the hiss of it's hydraulics filled the air. It was for this reason the locals called the unit a "Metal Dragon". The ground shook with each step and each landing, betraying how heavy the unit was, despite how it's movements made the unit look lightweight.

Finally the unit finished performing its kata and slowly went back to a neutral standing position. The sun shone brightly on the machine, giving it a bright luster on areas where the plating was new. Standing still, it was obvious that the unit has been through tough times. Parts of its arms had platings that were more gray than black, and were scarred with bullet imprints or burn marks.

With a loud hiss part of its back cracked open and fell backwards slightly. The head along with the chest area leaned forward finally splitting the unit's body like a V. From the cramped space a young man emerged wearing plain white and red tracksuit. Several medics and engineers in uniform hurriedly gathered around the unit. Some assisted the young man while the others quickly started checking the unit. Worried that the unit may not have survived the strain put upon it by the pilot.

"I'm alright! I'm alright," assured the young man as he pushed aside one of the medics.

"He's just making sure you're alright boy. Let him be," an older voice ordered.

The young man sighed and simply raised his hands in surrender. The medic nodded in recognition and proceeded with his routine. Careful not to agitate the pilot further and quick to shorten the inconvenience. "He's fine general," the man finally reported before saluting and moving away.

"Told you so," the irritated pilot remarked as he shot a look at the general.

"Can't be too sure Tom," the general responded as he walked closer and put a hand on the pilot's left shoulder. "Not because you're an interfacer, you're already immune to basic physics," the old man spoke matter-of-factly as he stood closer to the young man. "Can't have my only grandson get harmed," the general's voice was softer this time and a gentle smile came upon his face.

Tom sighed and shook his head. He smiled knowing how his grandfather was too protective sometimes. The old man had reason to be. War.

the challenge was to write a short with a zombie apocalypse setting where the lead is scavenging. took me around four hours spread over several lunch breaks.
writing exercise 2 "zombies"
by ~zk306

Remember all those video games where you battle the undead? Tons of fun to play, walking around armed to the teeth, shooting anything remotely undead. There's always piles of ammunition to be taken. Even in the oddest of places, like trashcans or fridges. But for the life of me, I have yet to find a box buckshot in a bin. And trust me, I've checked out practically every trash can in this dump. Nada, not a single bullet. But here I am, rummaging through trash. Hoping to God, or whoever thought it would be a fun idea to bring the dead back to life, that theres a box of buckshot in this bin.

It all started a few weeks ago. Some new strain of flu or some such. It spread like wildfire. You can't ride the morning train without running into someone coughing, with a runny nose or just plain fever. Of course, the doctors came up with a fix. "A revolutionary new cure to the flu," they claimed it to be. They modified the genetic material of the rhinovirus, thats the common cold to us non-scientists, to make an anti-body that constantly changes to adapt to new influenza strains. Now, I'm no PHD - no I'm just your typical tech support working a dead end job - but it sounded like a disaster to me. If you've seen enough sci-fi movies, you'd know it was a bad idea. Anyway, fact is stranger than fiction and behold the cure worked. For the first few days anyway.

Something went wrong along the way of course. Suddenly, people's brains were on fire. Turned them into rabid, ever-hungry, senseless versions of themselves. Well, at least those who weren't immune. The civilized world ended in a matter of days. Most of it anyway. People turned on each other, eating their face off like it was chocolate. It was hard for most, espcially those who had family. I had it easy since I already left all of that in the provinces. Which also was a good thing since the bondocks are far less populated than the city. I heard some survivors on the radio the other day saying something about heading north to the wild country. Rumor is some rural villages managed to survive the zombie apocalypse.

Buckshot.

Who the hell throws a box of buckshot away? Well, whoever threw it, I'm thankful. The name of the game in this new and dangerous world is scavenging. With 98% of the population out to eat your face, you'd better know how to fend for your own. It's been a few weeks now, but I have yet to get out of this damned building. It doesn't help that the office is on the 29th floor. Over the past few days I've slowly made my way down, checking each floor, taking what I can use. I got lucky and snagged this shotgun from a guard on the 28th floor.

He was lying there next to the elevators. I can still remember his face, if you can still call it that. Half of it was chewed down to the bone. His eyes popped slightly out of their sockets - this virus has a nasty habit of making you hemorrage and bleed from your orifices - with dried blood in place of tears. His mouth was still wide open. If you looked through it you'd see the wall where the buckshot and bits of brain were embedded. There were two others on that floor, both in bad shape. My guess is those two got infected and were put down by guard. He of course got infected in the process and took himself out when he started to turn. Felt sorry for him, but I was also happy he didn't use up all of his shells.

If he didn't leave any, then I'd be like him. Maybe even worse off. My luck would've ended there. See, when the change occured I was in the bathroom. Breakfast didn't agree with me. So while I sat on the throne, someone inside the office yelled. Not an angry yell, mind you, but the type you'd let out if you were given a painful surprise. Like when someone takes a bite out of your shoulder. The walls muffled the sound but from what I could make out some of my officemates were yelling "Stop," "Hold him down," "What's wrong with you?" Others were asking amongst themselves what was going on. I wanted to step out, but my stomach knew better and didn't let me. That's what probably saved me as another yell came.Then there were screams followed by a thud and the sound of glass breaking, probably a computer monitor falling off a desk. At this point the whole office was in an approar. Everyone was either screaming or yelling. There were yells of pain and flesh against flesh, like when fists are thrown. I cleaned up quickly and headed out of the bathroom, or tried to atleast. I slipped, fell backwards and banged my head against the sink pretty hard.

It was pretty stupid, but I guess that was my luck kicking in. When I came to the office was eerily quiet. I didn't notice it was already night until I left the bathroom. Fear quickly took hold when I realized what happened to me. This was amplified when it dawned on me that I lay there undiscovered for seven hours. Where was everyone? It was impossible no one needed to use the bathroom for that stretch of time. Then I remembered the commotion I heard earlier. I peered into the main room and could not believe what I saw. A quiet "what the fuck?" escaped my lips as I surveyed the office.

The lights in the room were still on, but everything else was a mess. Majority of the computers were on the ground, case opened and its insides broken. A few monitors were also on the ground, cracked and with a few smudges of some dark substance. The chairs were scattered here and theres, some upright, but most on their side or with their legs missing. Finally there were the black pools of liquid. I didn't want to believe it, but I knew it was blood. A fight probably broke out, people threw what they could, hit others with the monitors, or the chairs. Some of them got hit pretty bad and bled. That was what I concluded. However the unanswered question in my head was why.Why did they fight? What caused so much violence? And where were they? I asked myself this as I entered the room, unsure what to do. That was when I saw the arm.

It was sitting right in front of the secretary's table. At first I thought it was a mannequins arm or some fake prop. But then I realized whose arm it was. A new wave of terror washed over me and for a minute I simply stared at it in disbelief. It looked gray and some parts of it had a shade of purple. Bruise marks covered a good deal of it and chunks of it were missing here and there. It looked like it was torn off, judging from how rough the edges of where it met the shoulder. When I finally got my courage back I knelt down and looked at it closer. What I saw made my heart sink into depths of terror and mind numbing fear. There were bite marks along with the bruises. The missing chunks had circular edges, indicating they were bitten off. My mind tried to rationalize why someone would do that while desperately trying to silence the voice in my head yelling "Zombies!"

Reloading in the dark is a bitch.

Makes it annoyingly hard to tell which end of a shell is which. But in this screwed up farce of a world I now live in, the darkness is your friend. While the walking dead can't see, all thanks to the virus making your bleed from your eyes till they pop, they're pretty sensitive to heat. So much so that they can feel if a flashlight has been pointed at them for too long. While this is not much of a threat - I've never seen a flesh eater trying to attack a flourescent lamp - it keeps them "awake" and you don't want that.

When alerted these buggers have terrific sense of hearing. You can drop a coin and the zeds on the other end of the hallway will stop and look at the sound. Thankfully though some semblance of human intelligence is left. They become curious first at the origin of the sound. Assuming it is a curious sound, like a door opening, small creaks, or even glass breaking. They seem to have retained knowledge of sounds of danger and life though. You don't have to yell to get their attention.
No, you just need to speak loudly. They'll be onto you before you finish saying "Hello is anyone there?"

I learned that the hard way. When I stepped out of the office I was still pretty shaken up. The image of the gnawed hand was still fresh in my mind. I had not fully accepted the possibility of zombies being real at the time so I walked aimlessly in the hallway. The lights were still on and compared to the mess inside the office, the hall was relatively clean. There were those telltale dark spots on the carpet and long drag stains from the other offices leading to the emergency stairs and the elevators. But aside from those, the hall was tidy and as always, empty. I stood there trying to decide what to do when I heard something go bump.

At first I thought it was my imagination, but then it came again. The sound came from across the hall, on the other side of the elevator bay. I wanted to go and check, but a part of me, the one that was still yeling "Zombies!" wanted to run away, or atleast find something to use as a weapon. I was still largely afraid, honestly I'm still scared now, so I heeded my gut and went back to the office to grab my umbrella. In hindsight it was a stupid choice of armament, but I had more confidence swinging that around than say, the metal brace of a chair. Finally I reached the ad agency where the sound was coming from. The thuds came steadily, almost rhythmically, accompanied by what sounded like soft tearing and wet sounds. Catious I tried to peer in through the glass door.

The inside of the ad agency office was in a similar state to ours. Chairs were disarray, computers, cabinets and other office necessities were thrown about. A materialistic part of me felt pained when I saw their plasma TV lying broken on the floor. Not finding what I was looking for I opened the door slowly. My gut immediately regretted the action as the door's hinges let out the high pitched squeel of metal against metal. The repeating sound immediately stopped while my stomach started doing backflips. Whoever or whatever was causing the sound probably had noticed my arrival.

What came after happened pretty fast. I raised my voice to check if anyone was there, but before I could finish something crashed into the main room of the office. Along it came the strong smell of blood and decay. It yelled out something unintelligble, and then charged forward. Adrenaline pumped through my veins and I quickly ducked back into the hallway and ran back to the office. The creature ran at an incredible speed and would have caught up with me easily if I didn't get a head start. I reached the office panting heavily and quickly closed the door behind me. Just in time too as the creature slammed into the glass door.

It yelled out in pain and frustration as it fell back. As if angered even more it stood up and began slamming itself against the door. I tried to lock the door but my frantic hands shook too much to fit the latch properly. The door shook slightly each time the creature threw its weight against it. To make matters worse the glass started to crack. It was only a matter of time before the whole pane shattered. Out of desperation I threw the door open as the creature arched backwards, readying to throw itself against the door. This made it lose its balance and fall backwards. Without a second thought I started hitting it with the umbrella. I aimed for the head and didn't stop even though it managed to claw at me. Finally a strong blow made its skull partly collapse. It cowered momentarily from the blow and wriggled on the floor holding its head. It was only then that I noticed how bent out of shape the umbrella was.

I ran back into the office quickly as the creature started to get back on its feet. There was no way I can deal with my attacker without a weapon. It let out a cry once more before charging at me. Panicking, I grabbed the nearest thing near me and swung at its head. With a loud sickening crack and a "kachang" it was over, the creature slumped down to the ground immobile. Both scared and angry I hit the creature's head several more times until I was sure it will never get up again. I never knew Bundy Clocks were that sturdy.

With a long sigh of relief I sat down on a nearby chair and looked at the thing that attacked me.
It was human, or at least looked like one. It had legs and arms just like the rest of us. Hell, this guy was wearing Calvin Klein and by the looks of it probably earned twice what I did. His designer clothes though were not bloodproof and were soaked. Which were his and which were not was hard to tell. His hands were covered in the stuff too, as was the lower half of his face. I guess I interrupted his meal. His eyes were bulging and black from the blood that rushed into them that have coagulated. There was also blood stream from his eyes down his cheeks. His hair was tangled mess and his skin was pale and bruised in some places.There was no denying it now. Zombies were real.

this was something i wrote while at a cousin's pool party.
exercise3 - "her shoggoth"
by ~zk306

A loud explosion resounded through the empty corridor. Several of the crew screamed as the gigantic thing burst through the wall. In it's gnarled hands, or a perverted representation of it, it held the still twitching body of a young girl. The soldiers held their ground and fired as the civilian crew ran away from the creature. The latter simply ignored the hail of bullets that harmlessly bounced from its thick hide. Some injured civilians could only stare in shock and awe.

The creature stood at around eight feet. It had four trunk like tentacles that served as its legs. These were then connected to a bloated scaly belly covered with warts and innumerable small feelers. Atop the bloated mass sat an elongated head. Where it's mouth was supposed to be a clump of squid like tentacles sat wriggling, flanked by two large pincers. The opposite end of its head tapered to a point with three fins. It had over a dozen eyes scattered on its face with no sense of symmetry or logic. At the sides of it's grotesque belly four more trunk like tentacles protruded. Like it's "legs" it was covered in a mixture of scales, warts and feelers, but with the addition of countless suckers. These stretched for an undetermined length until they tapered off to a point no larger than a pen's tip.

In one of its limbs it held in its curled grasp a young girl. While the girl showed no signs of consciousness, it showed no indication that it was lifeless either. The soldiers however showed no care and relentlessly fired upon the creature. The only thing that kept the girl unscathed was the thick scaled limbs that held it captive.

Finally the creature grew irritated at the soldiers incessant firing. It let out a slithering noise that quickly grew into a loud gurgling sound. The sound grew louder and finally ended into an ear piercing screech. The soldiers instinctively dropped their weapons and covered their ears. The creature made its move then. With speed disturbingly disproportionate to its size, it charged at the soldiers. With one sweep of its scaly limb it fell five of the men before it, while another wrapped itself around one soldier's leg. Like a child's ragdoll, the hapless man was swung about before being thrown at his comrades. With its remaining free limb it tore at the overturned tables the soldiers used as cover.

A few of the soldiers left standing lost their resolve and ran away. Only to be knocked down by the creatures unearthly long limbs. Those who still had their wits about them continued to fire. These brave ones were spared the pain of disfigurement as the creature quickly crushed their heads.

In a matter of moments the corridor was clear. The creature let out triumphant howl before trudging slowly down the hall. Slowly, the girl in its grasp opened her eyes. The thing's feelers started to sway and pulse in a gentle rhythm as it felt the girl wake.

"Have you disposed of them," came the young girl's irritated voice.

The creature answered with a gurgling voice, in some other-worldly tongue.

The girl smiled sheepishly and ran her hand along the creatures face satisfied before saying, "good work my pet, good work."
this is part of an going experiment. goal is to write lovecraft themed stories like it was a children's book. i'll illustrate this when i get the time XD

Elena's Pet 01: Blinky
by ~zk306

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Elena. She had long pretty hair that her Mommy always brushed and braided. Elena loved pretty dresses, toys, dolls and sweet candies. She was always happy and smiled a lot.

Elena's father was an Archeologist. He loved to dig things and discover stuff. He often went to other countries to dig. Elena always cried when her father left. But, he always came home with presents. Elena was always excited when he arrived home.

Elena's mother was a History Professor. She taught at the university near the river. She loved to read books and learn about the things Elena's father brought home. Whenever Elena's father was not at home, she played with Elena and told her amazing stories. She also brushes and braids Elena's long pretty hair.

The three of them lived in a big house on top of a large hill. It was the oldest and biggest house in the neighborhood. Elena loved her room because it was on the top floor. She could see the whole town from her window..

One day, her father came home with a lot of presents. There were small bracelets and large necklaces. There were dishes, bowls and cups made of wood. There were boxes too, large and small. Some were made of wood, and some were made of metal. There were also books, scrolls, and paintings with strange symbols. Elena was very excited when she looked at them all.

Elena found a box she really liked. It was a small box made of smooth wood. It was covered with carvings of strange shapes and sizes. When she put it to her ear she could hear the sounds of the ocean. When she shook it she could hear bubbling sounds.

Elena wanted to see what was inside so she tried to open the box. She pulled and pulled, but it did not open. She asked her Mommy to open it, but she was busy reading. She asked her Daddy to open it, but he was busy writing.

"How can I open this?" Elena thought.

She tried smashing the box open with a hammer, but it didn't open. She dropped it from the balcony, but it still didn't open. She let the neighbor's dog bite it, but the dog ran away. She tried to cut it open, but she cut herself instead.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!" Elena cried as her finger bled.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!" Elena cried as she threw the box away.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!" Elena cried as her Mommy made her cut all better.

"Thank you Mommy!" Elena cried happily before she went away to play.

The rest of the day Elena played with the presents. She wore the necklaces and put the bracelets on her dolls. She served mud pie on the dishes, and newspaper salad on the bowls. She drew the symbols on the paintings on her sketchbook and colored them all. She played all day long.

After dinner Elena played with her favorite box again. She tried to open it again but couldn't. She pulled and pulled and pulled and pulled until she started to cry. Some of her tears fell on the box.
Then suddenly, the box opened with a pop.

Inside was a tiny little creature that looked like jello. It had ten tiny little tentacles with tiny little suckers. It had lots of tiny little eyes that all looked at Elena. Sometimes it was black like ink, but sometimes green like grass. When Elena touched it turned red and purple.

"Don't be shy. I won't hurt you," Elena said.

Elena smiled and picked up the creature. It was cold and slimy at first, but then it became warm and fuzzy. It purred and gurgled as it moved in her hands. Elena pet it on the head and it turned yellow and orange. Then it purred and sucked on her fingers

"That tickles!" Elena said before laughing.

Then she said, "I'm going to call you Blinky; because you blink a lot."

heres the second short short story for the Elena's Pet series. i think this one sounds more like a children's book story than the first. again, illustrations will follow when i make em.

Elena's Pet 02: Cookies
by ~zk306

Elena had a pet, whose name was Blinky. It was black and green, and sometimes slimy. They were always together, doing whatever. Having fun, they were best friends forever.

They play all morning, and even at night. They play house, and tag and even flew kites. They play with toys and play hide and seek. They play from breakfast, until it's time to sleep.

Elena loved Blinky and fed it a lot. She gave it cookies and milk, both cold and hot. She gave it cereal and meat, and vegetables too. Even her favorite: Mommy's beef stew. Blinky ate everything, no matter the taste. It ate grass, and pencils, and even old paste.

Then one day Elena was hungry. She and Blinky both wanted a cookie. The two of them went into the kitchen, to steal a cookie while Mommy wasn't looking.

"You stay here and look out for Mommy," Elena said to the blinking Blinky. Then she tip-toed to the cookie jar quietly, while curious Blinky watched her silently.

Tip-tap-tip-tap-tip her feet went.
Tip-tap-tip-tap-tip with her back all bent.

But the jar was too high on the shelf. To get it down, she needed help.

Tip-tap-tip-tap-tip she went back to Blinky.
Tip-tap-tip-tap-tip she went quietly.

"I need your help," she whispered to her pet. Blinky nodded with a look of interest.

Tip-tap-tip-tap-tip Elena went back to the counter.
Tip-tap-tip-tap-tip with Blinky on her shoulder.

She lifted Blinky up onto shelf. Then she pointed to the jar on the left.

"Go get the jar," she told her pet. Blinky blinked and then nodded.

Sqwip-sqwap-sqwip-sqwap-sqwip went Blinky's little tentacles.
Sqwip-sqwap-sqwip-sqwap-sqwip as it went over obstacles.

"Open the jar! Open the jar!" Elena said jumping. But suddenly, Blinky stopped moving.

Do-tok, do-tok, do-tok, do-tok, a sound came from the stairs.
Do-tok! Do-tok! Do-tok! Do-tok! The sound of the shoes her mother wears.

Elena knew that it was her Mommy, so she ran outside while holding Blinky. And in her hurry, she forgot completely, all about their hungry little tummies.
this started out as two paragraphs. writing practice with my mentor but based on The Invasion story i wrote before.
The Invasion (practice snippet)
by ~zk306

The beast spun around when it heard the gunshot, its tail knocking over cars in its path. It scanned the shops that filled the ruined intersection carefully. Shops that earlier were full of hurrying customers but now were deserted, their insides in disarray. Slowly it made its way towards the center of the intersection. The ground shook with each of its steps as its heavy claws ripped and gouged the asphalt. With its long neck it peered over or into the vehicles that were littered across the smoking and cracked street. It was hard to imagine that just a few minutes ago this area was bustling with traffic. Now the various sedans, buses, and trucks were either burning wrecks, toppled over or simply abandoned.

Reaching the center of the intersection the creature snorted black smoke, like it was annoyed. It then raised its head and smelled the air, looking around the intersection every now and then. Then finally, it stopped and narrowed its malevolent eyes at an overturned patrol car in front of the coffee shop. With thundering steps, the creature quickly moved towards the cruiser, knocking away other vehicles in its path.

With a scream of tortured metal, the young man’s cover was casually batted aside by the giant monstrosity. Fear and panic overwhelmed the youth as he tried to pull out his pistol causing him to fumble and drop it. The young man dove for the weapon quickly but it skittered out of reach. Crawling on the pavement he pulled his weary body until his clammy hands gripped the gun. Gunshots rang out in the deserted intersection once more as the youth rolled on the pavement and fired desperately at the creature. His panicked hands however betrayed him as the bullets flew wildly, missing the creature despite its size. Infuriated the dragon then stood on its hind legs slightly and reared its head back drawing air. The young man looked on hopelessly, shaky hands pointing a pistol at the creature, desperate fingers pulling the trigger again and again. But all hope was gone as the gun’s empty clicks replaced the gunfire. Tears started to well up in his widening eyes in anticipation of the end.

The dragon then let itself fall forward into a lunge causing the ground to shake while its forelegs dug into the road. It thrust its head towards the young man, as if to swallow him whole, before letting out a ground shaking and ear-shattering roar. The street was filled with a cacophony of destruction, windows shattering, car alarms going off, and screeching metal. The force of the roar hit the youth like a physical thing, tossing him backwards like a ragdoll, rolling and tumbling down the street, breaking his bones and scraping his skin raw until he slammed into a taxi door lifeless.