The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: LGBT Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-09-2011, 07:12 PM)HayWire Wrote: [ -> ]
The last group in CLE got to report today. Their report was about homosexuality and homosexual acts Sad
(Worst 50 minutes of mah day.)

Rant:
I feel so angry and depressed in the same time. All I can say was that nearly everything they said is wrong to me.

The report pretty much said that Homos are people with Psychological problems who watched too much stuff from media and acted upon instinct and curiosity. That homos should not be condemned for being what they are as long as they do not act upon it. That homos should be pitied. That all birds should fly even if they're ostriches and penguins. That homosexuality can be cured. That homosexuals only want to get married to have limes&lemons. That two mothers/fathers cannot be good parents. That marriage is only for straight couples. That love is not love unless it's straight.

The group said homosexuals are people. But they also pretty much said that they are disabled.

I dug my fingers into my hands (to control/hide myself) so deeply that the markings are still visible up until now ( CLE was at 2:40 pm btw)

Rave:
The good news is that none so far in my class has displayed an outright hatred for homosexuals. (Aside from feeling slight awkwardness)

Many(more than half the class) have or want to have homosexual friends. Heck, two people (that I'm friends with) defended their gay friends during the discussion.

I nearly cried. I gave them both a big hug when the teacher left. They asked why - I didn't tell them.

My CLE teacher said that "If it's something that you have to hide, then it is something not normal nor right."
I wanted to answer back saying : "I hide not because I am ashamed but because you people are."

...Just one more year then I can finally leave this predominantly Christian country...

The next time anybody thinks I go too far with my criticism of religion, or am being too vicious and unforgiving, now you know one reason I always sound pissed.

Seriously HayWire, can I try inviting you to a couple of our Filipino Freethinkers meetups? I know a couple of guys who can sympathize.

And if it makes you feel any better, a point-by-point takedown of the bullshit you had to endure:

Quote:The report pretty much said that Homos are people with Psychological problems who watched too much stuff from media and acted upon instinct and curiosity.

Did it ever occur to them that said psychological problems are due to them being abused, maltreated, and considered as outcasts by a religious conservative community? Sheesh, this is blaming the victim.

And for that second part, well I'd say that of a lot of people, and not just gays.

Quote:That homos should not be condemned for being what they are as long as they do not act upon it. That homos should be pitied. That all birds should fly even if they're ostriches and penguins.

Let me get this straight, the Catholic faith preaches about love for your fellow man, but then condemns people for trying to express love? This does not compute.

Quote:That homosexuality can be cured.

Umm. No. In fact, attempting to "cure" it has only led to severe psychological trauma.

http://www.gaychristian101.com/Exodus.html

No less than the American Psychological Association has already gone out and stated that such treatments don't work:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/05/gay...index.html

Quote:That homosexuals only want to get married to have limes&lemons.

I'd say the same of straight marriages - how many have we heard of here in RP are marriages out of money?

Quote:That two mothers/fathers cannot be good parents.

Actually, they can be
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...80,00.html

Quote:That marriage is only for straight couples. That love is not love unless it's straight.

*Ahem*
http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-02-27/ne...gay-rights

From the article:
Quote:Not so fast, said Darren Spedale, a law and business student at Stanford University, who studied divorce rates in Denmark in 1996-97, seven years after same-sex registered partnerships were legalized. He found that 17 percent of gay partnerships ended in divorce compared with 46 percent of the straight relationships.

Seems to me that if the church is accusing gay couples of being disloyal to their partners, the problem is three times worse for straight marriages LOL

New thread. Go crazy.
about time too
I want to point out a few things:

1. I strongly support the LGBT agenda, and its attempts to get legalization and recognition in mainstream society today.

2. There are proper places to discuss all the political and social repercussions of being gay, as well as living life as a member of this community.
So what the fuck is a topic like this doing in a gaming forum I frequent?
It's just a place to dump chatter specifically about this topic without clogging rant/rave.
For myself, I have no problems if people want to discuss topics like these on this forum. RR's become a hub for almost all of us, after all, and we post pretty much everything about ourselves here anyway.

But as you've seen, not everyone wishes to discuss everything so seriously, because part of being a hub of sorts comes the fact that people go here to relax. So do continue if you wish, but tread carefully.
tld;dr LGBT means o.O?
^ Lettuce,Great Bologna, and Tomato sandwich LOL LOL :Lol:
(02-13-2011, 03:15 AM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]I want to point out a few things:

2. There are proper places to discuss all the political and social repercussions of being gay, as well as living life as a member of this community.
So what the fuck is a topic like this doing in a gaming forum I frequent?

First off, I'd like to apologize if my reply to HayWire was over the top. I'll try to keep my next comments in check, given that Grim has already explained this thread should not be taken too seriously.

And secondly wouldn't a separate thread regarding LGBT topics already suffice?

For a gaming forum, we've already had separate posts for dating, politics, (non-gaming) events up the wazoo; I don't see how this topic is any less incendiary than the one we had on religion for example.

Sforza , i think , is saying why is the discussion happening in a wrong thread, constantly. The religious discussion thread was made because it was suggested at the beginning of the discussion and all discussions regarding the topic is put there. You on the other hand, instead of making a separate thread from the start, continued to spam Rant/Rave causing discomfort to people who go to that thread to relax.
Political discussion doesn't really get very far here at RR, so I don't expect the thread to delve too deeply into the topic. We already discuss things like herbs, social awkwardness/acceptance. Not that different from this. What I expect this thread to be is a repository for whatever thoughts people might have on this. RR, after all, has evolved into, basically, our little nook in the internet where we unload our brain shit.

So yeah, carry on.
(02-13-2011, 03:55 PM)iraya-sama Wrote: [ -> ]
Sforza , i think , is saying why is the discussion happening in a wrong thread, constantly. The religious discussion thread was made because it was suggested at the beginning of the discussion and all discussions regarding the topic is put there. You on the other hand, instead of making a separate thread from the start, continued to spam Rant/Rave causing discomfort to people who go to that thread to relax.

I make one long comment in a reply to one post, and suddenly it's spamming?

@NiX
Political discussion doesn't really get very far here at RR, so I don't expect the thread to delve too deeply into the topic. We already discuss things like herbs, social awkwardness/acceptance. Not that different from this. What I expect this thread to be is a repository for whatever thoughts people might have on this. RR, after all, has evolved into, basically, our little nook in the internet where we unload our brain shit.

As said, I'll keep that in mind the next time I say anything else, and will keep said discussions within their according threads. Will that do?

An IMHO, if people don't want to discuss a topic seriously and just want to take it easy, they can simply skip it and move on, much in the same way people who are queasy at some of the BS will simply look the other way if they think a comment is repulsive to their tastes.

(02-13-2011, 02:14 PM)HayWire Wrote: [ -> ]^ Lettuce,Great Bologna, and Tomato sandwich LOL LOL :Lol:

Hurrr.. Hungry~ LOL

Gaynesssssss... I don't see anything wrong with it. It's still love isn't it?
I'd like to remind everyone of our very own Yaoi thread: http://ravenrepublic.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=2044

Also, RR's been gay for some time already. Tongue
@ TS if you read Lord_Leperman's reply in MR, you will see he can explain more clearly what i see in this issue than i can express myself in proper words.