The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Emerging Adulthood Stage (17-24 yrs.) in Human Dev
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is it about 20-somethings? Why are people in their 20s taking so long to grow up?

The NY Times article

A few quotes:

Quote:...Nor do parents expect their children to grow up right away — and they might not even want them to. Parents might regret having themselves jumped into marriage or a career and hope for more considered choices for their children. Or they might want to hold on to a reassuring connection with their children as the kids leave home. If they were “helicopter parents” — a term that describes heavily invested parents who hover over their children, swooping down to take charge and solve problems at a moment’s notice — they might keep hovering and problem-solving long past the time when their children should be solving problems on their own. This might, in a strange way, be part of what keeps their grown children in the limbo between adolescence and adulthood. It can be hard sometimes to tease out to what extent a child doesn’t quite want to grow up and to what extent a parent doesn’t quite want to let go.

Quote:KENISTON CALLED IT youth, Arnett calls it emerging adulthood; whatever it’s called, the delayed transition has been observed for years. But it can be in fullest flower only when the young person has some other, nontraditional means of support — which would seem to make the delay something of a luxury item. That’s the impression you get reading Arnett’s case histories in his books and articles, or the essays in “20 Something Manifesto,” an anthology edited by a Los Angeles writer named Christine Hassler. “It’s somewhat terrifying,” writes a 25-year-old named Jennifer, “to think about all the things I’m supposed to be doing in order to ‘get somewhere’ successful: ‘Follow your passions, live your dreams, take risks, network with the right people, find mentors, be financially responsible, volunteer, work, think about or go to grad school, fall in love and maintain personal well-being, mental health and nutrition.’ When is there time to just be and enjoy?” Adds a 24-year-old from Virginia: “There is pressure to make decisions that will form the foundation for the rest of your life in your 20s. It’s almost as if having a range of limited options would be easier.”

Quote:THE 20S ARE LIKE the stem cell of human development, the pluripotent moment when any of several outcomes is possible. Decisions and actions during this time have lasting ramifications. The 20s are when most people accumulate almost all of their formal education; when most people meet their future spouses and the friends they will keep; when most people start on the careers that they will stay with for many years. This is when adventures, experiments, travels, relationships are embarked on with an abandon that probably will not happen again.

Anyway, I found it to be a really interesting read despite the length. I thought you guys might too, since all of you are in this stage, including some of the older than 24 people.
I hate heli-parents LOL

Almost all of my friends had a heli-mom...now look at them >_<

Well there's a bunch of (oh so many) things I wanna do after teens mostly because I'm "free" by then
lol so their calling it emerging adulthood now?
LOL
Parang ibon dapat kasi tayo(parang noon). Lern to fly or die. Yung ibang magulang kasi parang madaming alam kaya ayaw kang pakawalan.
My mom keeps on tailgating my sis until now. ANG PANGIT NG BOYPREN MO! MAG ASAWA KA NG AMERIKANO!