The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Sleep
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are you getting enough of it? As you are reading this, and since this is a post coming from me, and obviously as first post you already expect something related to pot/cannabis/hemp/marijuana/weed. As always, something positive.

So before i post the article, i have some questions to those who have no herbs in their inventory....uhh..most of you i guess...so...my questions....

===Are you getting enough sleep? Hours you prefer?
===Sleeping position?
===Can you sleep with lights and/or music on?
===Fell asleep while playing a game? What game?
===Any sleep patterns? Why?
===Music reccommendations to get to sleep?

uhh... actually i created this topic for discussion about sleep but i want to start it of with something herb related, since this is RR anything goes... =D

Quote:Of all the known ways to stimulate melatonin production, none is more dramatic than smoking Cannabis.Cannabis stimulates production of a prostaglandin called PGE2, which may relate to its ability to stimulate melatonin production. Italian researchers discovered that testgroups smoking pot had dramatically higher melatonin levels twenty minutes later. After two hours, their melatonin levels were 4,000 % higher than before.The fact that smoking marijuana is accompanied by a dramatic increase in melatonin production may explain some of the drug's positive effects. A 1995 article in The Journal of the American Medical Associationreported that the hallucinogen is being used to counteract the toxicity of chemotherapy, treat migraines, reduce intraocular pressure, minimize pain, treat menstrual cramps, and moderate wasting syndrome in AIDS patients. Melatonin has been shown to ameliorate each and every one of these conditions.You can imagine my amusement when I came across a recent announcement from the French Research Institute CNRS, showing a direct connection between melatonin and longer life. The Press Release reads as follows:
==========
Quote:"Paris, June 15, 2009Melatonin - the fountain of youth ?Melatonin can slow down the effects of aging. A team at laboratoire Arago in Banyuls sur Mer (CNRS / Université Pierre et Marie Curie) has found that a treatment based on melatonin can delay the first signs of aging in a small mammal. These results appeared in the journal PLoS ONE on 15 June 2009.Better known as the 'time-keeping' hormone, melatonin is naturally secreted by the body during the night. It is therefore a kind of biological signal for nightfall, allowing an organism to synchronize itself with the day/night rhythm.At Laboratoire Arago, Elodie Magnanou and her co-workers studied the long-term effects of melatonin on the Greater White-toothed shrew, a small nocturnal insectivorous mammal. Under normal conditions, this animal shows the first signs of aging after reaching 12 months, mainly through the loss of circadian rhythm in its activities. By continuously administering melatonin, starting a little before 12 months, the appearance of these first signs was delayed by at least 3 months, which is a considerable period in relation to the lifespan of this shrew.Melatonin is now known to play several beneficial roles. These include being an antioxidant, an anti-depressant, and helping to remediate sleep problems.The next step will be to understand the mode of action of the hormone on aging, so we can perhaps envisage its use on humans."http://www2.cnrs.fr/en/1533.htm Researchers see a risk in such a dramatic change in hormone levels though, and they aren't likely to recommend smoking pot for better health and longer life, since the connection is not clearly established in man.Yet.ReferencesLissoni, P., Resentini, M., and Fraschini, F. "Effects of Tetrahydrocannabinol on Melatonin Secretion in Man."Hormone and Metabolic Research 1986; 77-78. At baseline, the mean value of their melatonin levels was 21.3 pg/ml. Two hours later, it was 904 pg/ml.Grinspoon, L., and Bakaler, J.B. "Marihuana as Medicine."Joural of the American Medical Association 1995; 273

so in conclusion...legalize cannabis and people will sleep better....compared to alcohol that gives you a hang over the next day. just wanted to rant on that point...although it doesn't make sense as a good argument.

More research is needed, but as far as my own experience, i haven't experienced any restless nights if i use herbs before sleeping. It simply guarantees a good night sleep. I tried it with 5hour sleep and it works. Haven't tried with 4 hours but that's just pushing it, but maybe i will, given the incoming SLEEP DEPRIVING GAMES on March.
Hours of sleep - seven-eight hours per night normally. In a pinch, i can get by with just four-five hours but i tend to be real cranky if it's three hours or less.

Position - when i first lie down, it's always on my side, usually facing the nearest wall. When i start drifting off, i end up on flat on my stomach and remain in that position until i get up. For some odd reason or whatnot, i can't get to sleep if i'm on my back.

Lights/Music - No to both options. I can't get to sleep all that quick compared to some other people, who seem to have the magical ability to doze off seconds after their head hits the pillow. As much as possible, i prefer it dark and quiet whenever i turn in. I'm also not a real heavy sleeper so even the lights being turned on or the slightest noise can pretty much wake me up.

What i do to help me get to sleep is to read. I usually have a book beside my pillow and a lamp just behind it. Around ten to fifteen minutes of reading is usually sufficient to get me drowsy. And no, i've never fallen asleep playing a game. Whenever i feel sleepy while gaming, i save as soon as i can then hit the sack soon after.

There is something called the Uberman's Sleeping Schedule which allows you to extend your waking hours by taking several thirty-minute naps throughout the day. This is something i wouldn't wanna try myself since it seems pretty dangerous: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/15/103358/720
(02-28-2010, 01:13 PM)Hempire Wrote: [ -> ]===Are you getting enough sleep? Hours you prefer?

Not as much as I'd like. I'm currently getting around 6 to 7 hours of sleep everyday.

Quote:===Sleeping position?

I usually sleep with no pillows whatsoever. I've been told it's good for the posture.

Quote:===Can you sleep with lights and/or music on?

I can. Usually it doesn't matter to me once I get to that sleepy state.

Quote:===Fell asleep while playing a game? What game?

I fell asleep while playing GTA IV once. Apparently, roaming around doing nothing all of the time leads to boredom.

Quote:===Any sleep patterns? Why?

After I sleep, I usually wake up face down. Maybe due to the number of years I've been sleeping like that before.

Quote:===Music reccommendations to get to sleep?

I usually don't need anything to get me to sleep, but if I have a really hard time, I find watching golf tournaments on TV does the job. Snooze-fest sport, for real.

Speaking of sleep deprivation, there's been a couple of experiments done by people wherein they spread out the 8 hours among 2-hour stints of sleep over the course of the day. Supposedly it leads to better brain activity/memory retention. Having trouble finding the URLs to those, though.
Quote:1) Are you getting enough sleep? Hours you prefer?
2) Sleeping position?
3) Can you sleep with lights and/or music on?
4) Fell asleep while playing a game? What game?
5) Any sleep patterns? Why?
6) Music reccommendations to get to sleep?

1) I guess. Usually I get to sleep at least for about 7-8 hours a day.

2) Letter C; a bit curved and facing sideways. Sometimes, I sleep like a dead Terminator (facing upwards, straight).

3) Yeah. Tried it a lot of times before, which also resulted my PSP's crystal case getting cracked.

4) Yeah. Mostly any PS2 game I've played. (I used to lie on the bed while playing my console)

5) No sleep patterns afaik, but I keep dreaming almost game I play for a few days or hours, combined with the real world. Quite fun tbh.

6) Probably none. I stay up until I couldn't take the sleepiness anymore.
1) Are you getting enough sleep? Hours you prefer?
Average 6-10 hours of sleep
2) Sleeping position?
[Image: fdsfdg.jpg]
3) Can you sleep with lights and/or music on?
Music on, lights off
4) Fell asleep while playing a game? What game?
No. Need to finish the game before I can sleep.
1. Are you getting enough sleep? Hours you prefer?
Varied, sometimes <3 hours, other times <9 hours. As a student I tend to microsleep whenever I could (On bus, idle moments, etc.)
2. Sleeping position?
Sitting up or lying down while facing up, but never on my stomach.
3. Can you sleep with lights and/or music on?
Depends on the degree of fatigue.
4. Fell asleep while playing a game? What game?
Never happened before.
5. Any sleep patterns? Why?
Nightmare about real life (Late to work/school, being unprepared for tests, and brain farts.), either that or plain black out. May be the result of living under constant pressure.
6. Music reccommendations to get to sleep?
The ticking sound of a wind-up alarm clock.
Sleep? What's that? LOL jk. *it's 4:19 am atm...and I'm bored*

1. Weekdays; roughly 5-6 hours of sleep. Weekends; 8 hours if there's plans, 10+ if there's none. LOL

2. [Image: uI57L.jpg]

I sleep with Foetus/Yearner position (with a pillow) then I wake up in Freefall position or vice versa...and somehow my pillows disappear. Blink
...Does that mean I have tri-personality or something? D:

3. I'm an extremely light sleeper...so no. Even the door wakes me up...and I'm not even talking about opening the door yet Ninja

4. I go to bed before sleeping...If I was THAT sleepy then why would I still be playing? Blink

5. I think of depressing and/or shameful stuff before going to sleep, it's been like that ever since I can remember. Oh and every month I get at least one dream I can remember. The dreams are usually symbolism of my inner subconscious needs, wants and predictions...but - whatever XD

6....Light sleeper here...