The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Jobs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I guess this is the thread for telling everybody what you do. Or maybe for sharing job opportunities. Or ranting about your job. I dunno.

Anyway, real reason I'm posting this is cuz around 7:15 a while ago, I was called by some dude, forgot his name, saying I was recommended by a friend whose name I didn't even recognize. lol.

He started off by asking what I do and said that he's sure that I make a lot and asked if I was willing to get into an entrepreneural opportunity. I reluctantly said ok and he asked if I could meet with him soon to hear him out. I said ok. He said that he'd text me the details of where to meet him and we ended the conversation.

So I get this text with this address:
Trafalgar Plaza, HV Dela Costa St. cor. Valero St.
Tells me to be there by 6:30 in business attire and to allot 2 hours.

Since I didn't understand WTF just happened, I turned to google. And since I didn't really have any relevant information, I just googled "Trafalgar recruiter".

Came up with some threads in other message boards and some blogs. This one's probably the most unbiased though: http://silkenhut.com/synergy-one-interna...rnational/

So yeah, I'm canceling my "appointment" on Monday.

Anyways, just posting this as (1) a rant, and (2) to make you aware of this. Hahah.
Happened to me before as well. Twice. First was from a batch mate from college and the second time by someone I didn't know.
The shame of some people ... tsk tsk . I also remember some stories where they force people to join ... when you get there (the building) its hard to get out.

anyway the best thing to do when getting a job offer is do what Nix did; google-fu the company in question doing so gets you out of most scams.
MLMs and other networking businesses seem to be dying here in the Metro but are still going strong in the provinces. I've never really been too trusting of these guys since one of these groups nearly got me to join back when i was a sophomore in college. Being young and stupid, i was curious about it so i signed up. They acted all nice and chummy at first then they get really pushy and demanding once they drew you in. I finally told them to shove it after two days.

I'm especially angry at one of these since it essentially cost a good friend of mine his college education. The guy actually dropped out of college because he said he wanted to pursue his supposedly "blossoming" future with this group and we soon lost contact with him. A few years later, i then hear that this group ran off with a lot of his earnings and disappeared to who-the-hell-knows-where.

Ever since then, my standard reply to whoever tries to invite me to one of these "business opportunities" is a narrow-eyed glare and a finger-flip.
I got called to that twice but didn't go LOL

On the third time, it was a family friend of mine that invited me (he was more up front), so I went and listened, but didn't sign up.

It wasn't because I didn't like the idea, it's more because I'm not a people person (unless you're into Tekken/Monster Hunter/J-pop...); that's about it.

Edit: Yeah. RR would probably suck at MLM LOL
This happened to me once in SJC (my former university), when a friggin forceful classmate of mine was nagging me to join in some kind of company about medicines and such. I already rejected the offer, but iirc I gave in just to keep him from nagging me.

Knowing my telephone #, he called, and I was the one who answered since I already know who that person is (worse, he was nagging me to convince my dad into joining at all). He said he doesn't need to talk to me, but to my father. I then told my father that this jackass would like to talk to him about some company. My father, being overly paranoid, cynical, and skeptical as always, convinced him otherwise.
Well.. I got asked by a friend.. and the cousin of my classmate.. I first went with my friend, introducing me to the networking thingy and I said that I'll think about it. few hours later, I gave up thinking about it. then my classmate's cousin invited me.. she said It was a call center job. When we finally got to Ortigas. I saw the same building and said "ate.. sa *** nio ba ko dadalhin?" then she said yeah. then blah blah blah..

Now I feel awkward when talking to those two.. As if like every time I talk to them, they'll try to sink the "recruit" thingy into our conversation. :p
lolol this recruit shit reminded me of the ua&p days....annoying shit fuck classmates you barely know trying to make friends with you in a plastic way... =/

if only the herb was legal i'll create jobs that people would enjoy,,,
society chose to embrace the alcohol, red meat, tobacco, and sugar....hence lots of monotonous, uninspiring and drone like jobs...that require either coffee or alcohol just to get you through the day or after it....

not saying coffee and alcohol should go away or anything, i just find it annoying how alot of people forget that they injest drugs everyday in the form of coffee/caffeine and say..."i don't do drugs" or the "just say no to drugs" bull shit....... =/

For now, i'll be a cook.........i just hope the herb gets legalized within the next 10 years, if not.....then i have plans....sneaky plans.....need more time though....maybe involve RR....maybe (^__o)

lol ranting again, i'll stop. =D
Wow. I used to work in Trafalgar Plaza. I guess that explains all the other business-clad people that I had to elbow my way through just to get to the emergency exit....

Thankfully, I've never been approached by anyone like the ones mentioned. :3
Hemp: Aren't drugs manufactured? Weed is aaalll natural. Smile

Trace: Hahah the irony.
LOL got one invite before to pharmanex(I guess its now called synergy global lol) in octagon bldg 15th floor in makati. just went there for tripping purposes. ultimately didnt give a shit. lol
"Networking" sucks. I got invited twice, and went once way back in high school when I didn't know any better. Thankfully I didn't sign up, but all the things you guys said are true. It's their friggin' modus operandi. They reel you in with flowery promises of easy, big money, but when you're in the door you suddenly have to do all of this and that. I know because a friend of mine did sign up, and even though you're not supposed to say anything to outsiders, she did tell me: 300+ name-lists of people you're supposed to contact and recruit, and there's a certain percentage of people you have to convince (aka force) to sign up before you can move on to the next step. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Nix, that's probably why you don't really know the guy who dropped your name. LOL

There's also a trick to these though, and there really is a way to make easy, big money. You have to be one of the people on top of the pyramid, since technically it's a kind of profit sharing, all the profits below you roll back up, and in this way you only have to recruit a smaller number of people. Granted, now it'll be harder since people are aware of pyramiding scams already.

---

WARNING: Boring talk ahead

Anyway, back to the topic: I'm currently a SAP consultant for HP. "Consultant" here is pretty misleading, since I work for the P&G account and there's very little deviance from the established processes/methods/configurations already. What special cases there are per country or market are usually handled by our partner business experts. What I really do is configure certain modules of SAP so that they can be used by the said country, market or subcompany. I also do data migrations from legacy systems into SAP.

Honestly though, it is a bit stressful despite the simpleness of what I said, because the nature of the job is that problems only really surface at the end of the day, at around 5:00 to 5:30. So, when we're done with the general configuration/migration (the whole thing usually takes only a good two months out of a year-long project), we're basically sitting back and relaxing again. So imagine you're in the office by 9:00 or 10:00, and for the next six hours you're doing nothing but surfing the internet. It makes me wonder why I haven't finished the blog redesign yet, with all of that vacant time on my hands.

Then when you're about to shut down and go home, ding! Email, problem. Another 2+ hours in the office chasing some person who has the solution, or chasing approval to do something to fix something which wasn't really your fault. I guess I'm ranting about the fluctuation of the tasks, not the task itself.

EDIT: Oh and I'm also ranting about the pay. I do not recommend working for HP, people (if you're thinking about it). The pay raise for the past two years has been non-existent, despite us delivering exceptionally well and meeting and surpassing all of our targets. The "we" here means the technology service side of HP: we're basically paying out of our own salaries to keep the printer and laptop parts of the company afloat. Meanwhile, our CEO (possibly one of the most toxic in the US according to some articles) alongside the rest of the executive team, enjoy multi-million dollar bonuses and dividends. Sure, they didn't get any pay raise either, but that only really affects their base pay. They get rich and we get peanuts. The dark side of capitalism, gentlemen, at its most horrible.

I realize my pay is better off than most people, especially for their first job. But I'll be damned if I stay here for more than two years without any increase to show for it. Basically, there are no rewards for loyalty here. There's also none even if you carry any extra certifications - SAP certification, PMP, etc etc.

No, I'm not SAP certified, although a number of my officemates are. I'm not sure if I'm going to take the certification test, since I'm not sure I want to be working with SAP for the rest of my life. Like I said somewhere else on these forums, what I really want, is a restaurant.

And that's that!
Not really boring dude. Pretty interesting, and it also goes consistent with my notion that working for multinationals is not only stressful, but is also a dead-end venture.

Also, I'm surprised that NSE/pharmanex/synergy global is still on the loose. Kinda interesting since most mlm's have died by simply getting caught or just rotting to hell.

oh yeah, one friend of mine also kinda invited me to a kiyosaki seminar or something, meeting place was supposed to be a starbucks branch n cubao. Since this was a really good friend of mine, I just said "fine" but then, I got lazy every day before the meet was supposed to happen so I ended up not going at all.

So i researched this since nix brought the mlm scamshit stuff already, and look what came up.

http://bewareofnuskin.blogspot.com/2008/...uskin.html

http://bewareofnuskin.blogspot.com/2008/...pines.html

I'm not bashing MLM itself. it's just that the people running those here are SO shady you can't trust them.

All I can say is, people. get a fucking life. Stop duping some poor soul just to get back the money you shelled out when YOU were duped.

SO, please, to every member here, please research and ask if an invitation to a seminar/job offer comes your way. As seen, bnew ways of fooling people come about once in a while so be vigilant
(01-15-2010, 09:43 AM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]Meanwhile, our CEO (possibly one of the most toxic in the US according to some articles) alongside the rest of the executive team, enjoy multi-million dollar bonuses and dividends. Sure, they didn't get any pay raise either, but that only really affects their base pay. They get rich and we get peanuts. The dark side of capitalism, gentlemen, at its most horrible.

Woah, just like an MLM scam Ninja

The New York Times reports that in 2008 Mark Hurd's (HP CEO) total compensation was $33,952,237
The Globe Opinion reports Hurd's 2008 compensation as $42,514,524

(01-15-2010, 02:50 PM)Sforza Wrote: [ -> ]Woah, just like an MLM scam Ninja

The New York Times reports that in 2008 Mark Hurd's (HP CEO) total compensation was $33,952,237
The Globe Opinion reports Hurd's 2008 compensation as $42,514,524

Even if all of the necessary thing are taken into consideration: his position, the cost of living, etc, it still looks bad for you as a CEO/executive when you're making this much money, and you withhold pay increases for the year because you say the company isn't liquid enough.

Dude's like a pro athlete, the way he's paid.
Pages: 1 2