The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Giving an Interview (Halp?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, this isn't a joke. I need to interview someone tomorrow, to find out if she has proper command of the English language.

What questions should I ask?
I'll come up with a few of my own by tomorrow, but input is welcome.

Thanks.

Edit: The position she applied for is sales coordinator
If it's just to test her English skills, have her write a 1-page essay or something. And small talk in straight English should be sufficient for testing.
(10-29-2009, 05:57 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]If it's just to test her English skills, have her write a 1-page essay or something. And small talk in straight English should be sufficient for testing.

The essay is a good idea! Thanks xD The position is more of a phone operator and secretary.
I'd probably start with a quick run through of his or her background, previous job experience, and the like. Usually when they start talking about what they did before you can get a good gauge of how good their English is already.

I think I'd follow that up with a "Why did you apply here?". Asking someone to explain their objectives is really gonna bring their language abilities out. If you can understand what they said, I think that should be a good sign. Smile
YES someone to finally replace one of the positions Im subbing for!!!!! I'm not SALES anymore!
The person isn't hired yet, right? So right now, you still are the entire sales department. Hahahha
You're still gonna be the sales dept. for a few more days. Plus, once your replacement starts, you're still gonna hafta show her the ropes. Tongue
(10-30-2009, 07:57 AM)arch_angel Wrote: [ -> ]YES someone to finally replace one of the positions Im subbing for!!!!! I'm not SALES anymore!

Tao at AA: 'Excuse me, Saan po yung sales department?'
AA: 'Bakit ano yun?'
Tao at AA: 'Dito po yung sales department?'
AA: 'Ako yung sales department.'

Question lang Jake, between someone frank and someone who flatters, sino pipiliin mo? Given that they're both really good.
(10-31-2009, 08:49 AM)Serene Wrote: [ -> ]Question lang Jake, between someone frank and someone who flatters, sino pipiliin mo? Given that they're both really good.

Probably someone frank, as long as hindi siya bastos magsalita. People who like to flatter creep me out.
if it's command over the English language, it might be a good idea to get them to pronounce many sounds that involve combined letters. Words like 'thing, charm, imagination, conscience, Tuesday...'

Normally you can get a rough gauge of how well they do by getting them to read several sentences that have different phonetics. Many of these sounds are covered either by reciting the days of the week, the months of the year, or the numbers one to twenty.

As for how they actually construct sentences, it'll probably be best if you ask them a question that involves giving directions. Like how to get to the train station from the office.

If you want to be a sadist about it, you can also ask them to recite tongue twisters.
Personally, accent doesn't matter. Just get the fucking grammar right.
(11-01-2009, 01:38 PM)NiX Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, accent doesn't matter. Just get the fucking grammar right.

Exactly. It's better if they pronounce adobo right.
The interview's been done since the other day by the way. It went alright. The person used to work at a call center. She could speak proper straight english but with an accent, which is completely fine given our budget and clientele. She had to stop and think about which words to use a few times though, which I'd attribute more to nervousness due to the situation. Afterwards, I told the higher ups that I had no major issues with hiring her.

Edit: I didn't test written communication skills though LOL Bahala na ang HR diyan.