The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Buying a psp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! I'm currently canvassing a psp for our friend fox. To all the psp owners here....what do you guys usually look for and check in a psp (second hand) checklist format if possible. thanks!
Hmmm, usually, what you should always look for when buying the psp is the Official Firmware it is using. Since all (if I'm not mistaken) of the models using firmwares above 5.03 have a motherboard that does not allow Custom Firmwares or Enablers.
Right now, I believe all versions of PSP 1000, 2000 and 3000 motherboards are able to run one version or another of custom firmware. That means the previously unhackable TA-088 v3 and TA-090 v2 are now able to run CSOs and ISOs, but I'm not sure exactly which CFW they need - as far as I know, it's not Dark-Alex's M33. But the point is all of the non-PSP Go models can now run backups of games.

Safe bet though is to narrow your search down to the PSP-1000s and 2000s, since they have the most... support behind them. Personally I'd recommend the 2000 series, as they have more RAM, double the 1000s I think. Also, most of the homebrew that you'd be interested in running (emulators, additional players, file managers, new shells) are able to be run on the 2000 series as well.

Don't forget to put on a screen protector!
Main purpose behind me suddenly going for a PSP after all these years is to try out the new ports/incarnations of AC3, SL and LR. Thanks to Mark for helping me out with this. Smile

(10-11-2009, 09:16 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I'd recommend the 2000 series, as they have more RAM, double the 1000s I think.

Which is the exact same thing a friend of mine here in Bonifacio is recommending me to do, as he says that the 3000 series isn't really all that different from the 2000 series and is more reliable.

(10-11-2009, 09:16 PM)Grim Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget to put on a screen protector!

Definitely, since i'm the kind of guy who has a tendency to mishandle stuff and places things were they're not supposed to be placed.
Interesting. I'm thinking of getting a PSP too, also for the AC ports. Such is our love for AC. Hahaha.
Loyalty to the AC series knows no bounds!
- I would test out the analog nub response. You can test it out by going to the browser of the psp and moving it in different directions.
- Check if the adhoc/wifi switch is easily turned on and off, and if it works.
- Dead pixels on LCD screen
- Dust under the main faceplate. This usually means that the unit's been opened for whatever reason
- Battery life, you can check on system -> battery information I think
- CFW version
- Memory stick slot, make sure the memory stick easily slides in and out, and that the stick is in okay condition

And yes, get a screen protector.

If you guys do get PSPs, try Monster Hunter please. It was the best selling game in Japan for the past few years for a reason. Smile
Well since you're buying second hand, you have to make sure the guy won't just disappear on you on something after your purchase.

Things to seriously check after Sforza's notes:
- Charger, make sure it connects firmly to your unit. Play around a bit with the cord to make sure it's not some shabby fix job.
- A decent case (It gets useful)
- Warranty in case any of the parts go bad.
- Return policy
- Also note if at least all the important parts are original.

I would highly suggest testing out an input heavy game for at least 5 minutes before considering that the controls are in good condition, make sure you test all of the buttons on response once pressed, held down, and tapped rapidly. Also have them load the game that you wish to test out. By checking the gear of some people that are fully functional you can more or less tell if the parts are well made or not.

Oh, and I like the 2k models the most because the 3k has scan-liney screens. So far the 3k has a mic and an 'improved LCD screen.' I honestly don't know how that was an improvement.
i wanted to buy psp 2000 coz i heard it's the most affordable and reliable among all units. I have a psp go from my bday. It handles pretty good,the button layouts are quite comfortable too. But there are no CFWs currently. Which is a Big let down
We decided to get a brand new unit instead. Picked up the unit earlier and it works perfectly. Played some of the pre-installed games earlier on the way back and they all turned out okay. Loaded up AC3P as soon as i got home and made it as far as the intro screen before i had to charge the batteries.

Arch_Angel will definitely be paided back for his role in helping me acquire the unit. For brokering a sweet deal, i'll be customizing an AC model kit for him free of charge. Big grin
Nah, it was nothing, really. I just literally got fox into my usual "I don't really know where the store is, but I'll just try to walk there to look for it, If i get lost, then I'll just ask around" method of buying stuff from diff. people. In this case, I also want to thank James-yes dt's friend who was the one who sold us the psp.(it's his business) Props to you man! you were a very professional and informative businessman/seller. The psp was so freaking shiny and pretty(ice silver) i literally stared at it for a good few seconds when it came out of the box.
What model did you get, and how much? Smile
It's a PSP-2006, silver colored and it siphoned php8300 from my wallet. You're also gonna be getting one for yourself soon, right?