The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: In your opinion what's the best antivirus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right now I'm currently using nod32, though it is not fullproof I used it nonetheless because it doesn't take too much memory during scanning.
Legit?

Anyways, it's pretty difficult to pinpoint a "best" AV (Anti-Virus. Not adult video.) because most of them are constantly being updated. Even if you read a review of best AVs, that review only remains valid for a short length of time.

In my opinion, you should use whatever AV (again, not adult video LOL) you're most comfortable with. For me, as long as the AV updates regularly, is free, and doesn't consume too much RAM, I'm happy.

And as far as free AVs go, the only choices I'm aware of are Avast, AVG, and Avira. I've been using Avast for several years already and I haven't had any serious infection in years. I heard that AVG's totally bloated right now and I haven't tried Avira.
[Image: 49774158fl5.png]
1. BitDefender Internet Security
2. ZoneAlarm Internet Security
3. Kaspersky Internet Security
4. Webroot Internet Security
5. BullGuard Internet Security
6. Trend Micro Internet Security Pro
7. McAfee Internet Security
8. AVG Internet Security
9. Norton Internet Security
10. Norman Security Suite
source: http://internet-security-suite-review.to...views.com/
I was on AVG in the past, but Nix was dead on, it's slow and bloated now. It slows down startup too much and eats more system resources than what you'd expect when it scans your system. I moved to NOD32 after. Better in a lot of aspects, really. As a regular user you won't run into it until it tells you that it's already DONE updating its virus database. Nice.
(02-23-2009, 01:15 AM)hisuka Wrote: [ -> ]1. BitDefender Internet Security

It destroyed my netbook's fan by making 100% processor use spike up and down continuously over normal use, and hogs a lot of resources. Default settings are also very invasive. Stupidly scanning all incoming data =/= good antivirus.

BitDefender sucks.
uhm... I'm currently using both NOD32 and Norton internet security... (I mean both anti-viruses in one laptop... LOL )
some say that... they might interfere with each other... I haven't experienced one till now...
Azuriel, they do interfere with each other! And even if they don't you're using up an unnecessary amount of processing power. Just pick one real-time scanner and then have a back-up on-demand scanner.
I assume we're talking about home-use antivirus?

I use McAfee at home. I'm happy with it, but I haven't tried others.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/02/23/...r-windows/

How timely.

Here's a list of 9 free AVs for Windows.

But here's a great reference too: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ --> it places Avira as the best AV of 2008.
Through personal experience, a legit McAfee AV works pretty well.

For the free AV category, I vote for NOD32.
Eset nod32 is the way to go imo. low consumption of resources you wont even feel it when scanning for virus. been using it for 1 year already so far di pako napapasukan ng major problems( konck on the wood )
system restore
System restore fails to remove some of the more invasive viruses.

I recently replaced Avast! with Avira. Pretty happy so far. Seems lighter on system resources and it's supposedly more sensitive.
I've still got a legit McAfee working at my laptop, it doesn't hog system resources and does well in terms of real-time scanning, also while not hogging precious system resources.

I've found out that NOD32, for unknown reasons, consumes a pretty hefty part of your bandwidth Ninja

Will try to post proof later.