The Raven Republic Forums

Full Version: Manero released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(UPDATE 3) Priest killer Manero walks free

Quote:MANILA, Philippines -- Norberto Manero walked free from prison Friday, 23 years after he killed an Italian priest for allegedly being a communist sympathizer.

Manero walked out of the National Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City around 5:30 p.m. with his wife Evelyn and Public Attorney's Office (PAO) chief Persida Rueda-Acosta, who brought the order for his release.

Evelyn told INQUIRER.net that their first priority would be to return to their home province of South Cotabato to “unite” their family, which she said had scatted after Manero and his two brothers, Edilberto and Elpidio, who were leaders of the Ilaga vigilante group, were convicted for the 1985 murder of Fr. Tulio Favali.

Earlier Friday, Justice Secretary Raul Gonzalez ordered the release of Manero, who had been sentenced to reclusion perpetua, which carries a 20- to 40-year jail term.

In 1998, then president Fidel Ramos ordered Manero’s sentence shortened to a definite prison term of 24 years.

Although Ramos’ successor, deposed president Joseph Estrada, withdrew executive clemency for Manero, Gonzalez said this was not possible without a proper hearing since it “may be tantamount to deprivation of liberty without due process of law, and may also be considered as a Bill of Attainder because it inflicts in effect, punishment to Manero without proper hearing which may violate Section 2 of (f) Article 3 of the Constitution.”

Hurr...Jason

I've always wondered why we're so touchy-feely about the death sentence. There's a lot of dirtbags in prison that rightfully deserve to be removed from the gene pool...in totality.
Twin-Skies Wrote:I've always wondered why we're so touchy-feely about the death sentence.

Because it's the "Christian thing to do". Which may or may not be according to people's version of justice.

I agree with your sentiments though.