Current time: 04-19-2024, 10:45 PM
General Technical Help
Fox Wrote:Question from a total noob - how do you reenable the Task Manager if it gets disabled by a virus? I caught a bug earlier when i plugged in an officemate's flash drive (typical idiot - i didn't have any AV program running when i accessed it) and somehow, the controls for opening the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) are no longer working. All i'm getting is a message saying that it was "disabled by your administrator".

I was able to get the virus (a worm actually) quarantined and deleted but i still can't get it to work, even when opening the program using the run command. Is there some way that i can get it back or will i now have to reformat (something which i really hate doing) and reinstall more than three hundred gigs of data?

Check first if you could at least see the worm/virus file if it's not hidden.
If it keeps on hiding itself from you, by actually closing your Folder Options window everytime you go to the 'show hidden iles and folder option', then we had the same case. And if we do, then you have no other choice but to reformat.

Nakakainis yun sa totoo lang. Yung lintek na worm na yun.
Fox, as with all virus scenarios, boot up in safe mode and run your antivirus. If that doesn't cure it, you're pretty much fucked. Reformat time. >_<

Next time, don't double-click on a flash drive's icon. Use right-click and select "explore". It also helps to disable Autorun.
Crap, the dreaded "R" word...

Looks like i'm gonna hafta devote a couple of days to get that thing up and running again. Good thing it didn't wipe out the entire hard drive. At least i can still do some backing up before i start from square one.

That's the last time someone hands me their flash disk for a request.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
Fox Wrote:Crap, the dreaded "R" word...

Looks like i'm gonna hafta devote a couple of days to get that thing up and running again. Good thing it didn't wipe out the entire hard drive. At least i can still do some backing up before i start from square one.

That's the last time someone hands me their flash disk for a request.

Just get an anti virus program that performs live scanning and blocks malicious processes from even executing. You can get them for free from torrents. To know which to download, just read reviews.
NOD32 sounds good...
HALP!!

My mom bought a macbook pro and she's using it as an internet browser ONLY. She said it's because she's used to using windows.

How can I help the poor macbook pro D: D:

tnx!

edit: but you know what I'm most annoyed at? crysis runs well on it!
Sforza Wrote:How can I help the poor macbook pro D: D:

Trade it with my Windows XP laptop? I'm sure that'd be beneficial to both parties.
Firefox crashed on me and took down windows with it. I fucking lost years worth of bookmarks and saved links. I also lost my saved password information, and all my browser extensions. That's a very big deal.

After the crash, every time I've tried to access the D partition of my HD, the processing speed slows to a crawl for no reason whatsoever. The HD activity monitor is also lighting up so much more even when it isn't being used.

edit: I also lost all my active torrents, my user accounts and settings. My itunes library is suddenly empty.

FUCK!!!!!!!!
Damn...
What a loss...

What could have caused that crash?
'Signatures are overrated.'
Nerese Wrote:What could have caused that crash?

I have absolutely no idea. The drive sounds like it has some sector damage.

Jake, I hope you have a backup. Also, this is where accounts on del.icio.us and using extensions like Foxmarks come in handy.
I also lost all my 40+ rss feeds.

No, I didn't back-up the browser and the active torrents, but I did back-up the essential work, music, monster hunter saves and movie files.

edit: I think one of my partitions is screwing up.
Eep. That's a major loss.
Sforza Wrote:I think one of my partitions is screwing up.

Reformat that partition. Or reformat the whole physical drive and repartition from there using a different ratio of division. That might set things back in order, although I still have no idea how FireFox could have caused all this.
theGrim Wrote:
Sforza Wrote:I think one of my partitions is screwing up.

Reformat that partition. Or reformat the whole physical drive and repartition from there using a different ratio of division. That might set things back in order, although I still have no idea how FireFox could have caused all this.

I don't think FF caused it. Rather, when the awesome crash happened FF happened to be running and got wiped. uTorrent and iTunes were running and got wiped too.

I noticed it when the video I was watching just stopped all of a sudden, and the task manager or shut down/restart bar wouldn't show. After that the system just restarted on its own o_o The partition thing is because the HD usage flashing light starts er, lighting up uncontrollably whenever I try to access the D partition.

OT: After doing some tests on torrent clients? BitComet .6* wipes the floor with uTorrent current versions in terms of speed.
Need help. I inserted my flash disk in an internet cafe PC and after removing it, I couldn't access any of my folders there. All the folders all of a sudden became .exe files. I checked through the command prompt and saw that the folders and their contents are still there, but I guess some virus makes them all appear as .exe files in windows. Also, I saw a SilentSoftech.exe in the directory. I'm no where near my own PC, so all I have is internet cafe PC/PC protection (which sucks). Also, I'm not techie (which also sucks).

Does anyone know of this kind of virus that's making all my folders appear as .exe files, thus making them inaccessible. And there's also that SilentSoftech.exe. It's a nuisance based on everything I've read. I gotta get rid of them because all of my files for my Special Problem (it's like baby thesis), review materials for the actuarial exam, and various academic papers are all there. I was able to back most of my files up last week, but the PC at home (where I backed my files up) is kinda screwed up too, and I still don't have time to fix it. And I won't be going home anytime soon.

Help, help.
"Numbers are not part of the real world; they're part of something else."

-Prof. Rolly Panopio, UPLB Math Division