Current time: 03-29-2024, 12:07 AM
Opera Browser
Hmmm. I'm just wondering if this thing is better and more superior than Mozilla FF. Though I just downloaded the file. Hindi ko pa alam kung ano features nito. I'm still a FF user but I would like test this thing out. If it's better and far more superior, I might as well be an Opera user.

Hey, will you please give me a hand here? Download the browser and tell me what's better, since I'm also totally clueless on this one.

<a href='http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=28962&thanks=true&sub=true' target='_blank'>Opera (download starts at once)</a>
<a href='http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/' target='_blank'>Skins</a>

EDIT:
Here's the pic:

[Image: opera.jpg]

Well it's a fast browser, lol.
Opera has some compatibility issues with some sites, I think. Firefox, as far as I know, is still the most secure.
And firefox still has the best add-ons and customizability as far as I know.
You guys and the ones from the net just convinced me FF is still the best.

ROFL.
Grimlok Wrote:Opera has some compatibility issues with some sites, I think. Firefox, as far as I know, is still the most secure.

...although after seeing how bloated Firefox has become, I'm starting to change my opinion on Opera. It's light and loads fast. Might be using it in the future once more people start migrating to it.
There are faster, lighter browsers than Opera although Opera is definitely a bit lighter than FF. Using Opera us just kinda like Firefox with some extensions already installed though. Tongue

http://www.alternativebrowseralliance.com/browsers.html

There's a place to look for some alternative browsers (hence the URL Tongue). Try K-Meleon for a really fast browsing experience.
NiX Wrote:Using Opera us just kinda like Firefox with some extensions already installed though. Tongue
Yeah, my point exactly. Opera is pretty robust in its own right, but it doesn't sacrifice other features so it could keep its small memory footprint... although after looking at that link I'm inclined to try K-Meleon on Windows. I've used Galeon for Ubuntu and I can vouch for it's speed and (too much) simplicity.

EDIT: Tried out K-Meleon. It is fast. Happy Mix. Smile

EDIT2: Although I'll still be developing sites in Firefox. And in Linux. ;P
After reading a bit on the truths regarding web browsers, it really seems that now Opera is poised to just usurp Firefox from its seat one day.

Time to try it out for a month!
Well I've been using Opera Mini for my mobile phone. It's a seriously good browser in that respect. Gives the iphone browser a run for its money.
totally off topic, but Bert, what kind of OS is that you're running? it looks awesome! Tongue

>.> and I plan on Quad-Booting my laptop if I can...
ಠ_ಠ
It's probably XP modded with lite step.

Quad-booting is overkill. LOL
--------------------

I've been trying out Opera. It is indeed much snappier than Firefox. It evidently also uses much less RAM.

It has some minor UI annoyances though that's keeping Firefox installed.

When Firefox 3.0 gets released, things'll be really interesting.
theGrim Wrote:Time to try it out for a month!

After doing a whole month of testing I'm back to FireFox. Let me explain a bit.

Opera is fast, and there's no denying that. If you have a system that's a bit pressed for resources or if you just want your pages to load quickly then Opera should be one of your top top choices as the HTML rendering on the thing is one of the best. It also has some extensibility in terms of your themes and plugins, and for the most part they're useful, if a bit toy-like in both concept and implementation.

However, despite all this, there's just no denying that FireFox beats it in terms of usability. Maybe because I've just gotten used to the interface of the FireFox browser or where the options are. But FireFox certainly operates in the way I want it to. The big clincher was actually how the tabs close (I'm a tab-heavy browser): in Opera when you close a tab it goes back to the one you previously accessed, instead of the one immediately next to it (which I want). In FireFox it does exactly that.

There's some more problems like some sites not rendering properly in Opera despite its famed standards compliance, largely because of the paradoxical fact that the new "browser of the internet" is FireFox.

But like I said, if you're going for simple, clean and fast browsing, Opera is your browser.
Exactly how I feal, Grim. Firefox's UI and potential are simply greater than Opera.

I especially hate how the scrollbar doesn't detect your cursor if it's at the rightmost edge of the screen.

We'll just have to wait some more until FF3.0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internet Browser Add-Ons NiX 7 11,063 02-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Lord_Leperman
  Need help with Opera 9.51 PhAYSe 2 4,126 07-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Last Post: PhAYSe
  What's your internet browser? NiX 4 5,740 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Grim