Current time: 05-14-2024, 03:44 AM
Art Commission Questions
Just doing some research since this is will actually be the first time I will do on the spot commissions (PHcon day I mean)

A studio usually charges me 750 pesos per artwork…
For one artwork Online 1kpesos +
A 3-4 page comic they usually charge me 3k or so

Of course I know most of the guest wouldn’t probably be able to afford that kind of price range

Lets for something traditional colored (probably will be using colored pencils) artwork of
something around this quality

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SS9ZHzUyDBk/Th...375411.jpg

how much would you willing be to pay if your at the convention and have a bit of cash to spare

Please answer honestly because doing some research before I set my on the spot commission prices for PH con day (march 31) since will be doing on the spot art commissions on that day
200 at most Smile The art is great, but I just don't feel like spending a lot at conventions usually.
im a cheapskate so i dont buy/commission art at conventions. however, here's what i've observed

-sketches can go for as low as Php 50, uninked. up to 70 for inked B & W stuff. of course, very simple drawings. most of these i saw from indie comics booths at ozine fest and komikon
-customized collectible card - also at Php 50. inked and detailed/hatched B&W. however, it's only as large as an MRT card.
-custom chibi keychain - IIRC around Php 120+. basically its a B&W chibi drawn with markers, then laminated.

i cant recall any spot commissions offering colored works tho. imma ask other people i know who regularly do commissions for more info.

edit:
so after talking with some artists i know, the most common lowest price is Php50. this is for a simple sketch. some artists ink it at that price, while some will charge 70 for an inked sketch. nothing too detailed. think caricature. black and white. colored stuff are Php 100 upwards. of course you can increase the rate if the piece is more detailed.

the reason for the cheap prices is largely due to how much time and effort is actually put into the piece. in the convention setting, the person requesting the piece will most likely wait and watch you while you are drawing. so the pieces should be done in 5 to 15 minutes. people will often ask for known characters or portraits of themselves in the artists style. also not all of the people requesting will be able to provide as much detail and description for the drawing they are asking for, so be prepared with your own poses/scenes.

edit2:
btw, these are prices based on booths at komikon and otakuzine. these artists also sell their own indie comics, dunno if that factors in their pricing.

edit3:
i showed them the pic you linked and they said that could go around for Php150-300.

i hope this helps ^^
ic

XD i didnt make that artwork (the linked image)

its a just an example of what i would probably the art quality i would be offering on the day it self