Current time: 04-16-2024, 10:33 PM
PlayStation 3 Talk
(03-03-2012, 12:58 PM)NiX Wrote: Fox, in your case, bago na lang siguro unless you're keen on salvaging your old data. Tongue

I'm sitting on the fence between getting a new unit and having the old one fixed. Both have good points. One is that i don't need to worry about the hardware for a couple years or so plus more room in the trunk if i get a new unit. For the other one, i don't need to spend as much and i get to continue on with all those game saves i've worked hard for since 2008.

Haaay...
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
As in yours doesn't function anymore? I remember seeing a YLOD-victim PS3 getting somewhat revived in Diffato years ago, which had a 50-50 success/fail iirc just to make it work on 1080p. While trying to revive it, I remember that unit being able to run with 480p to begin with though. In any case, it was 'ok' anyway (even with YLOD) as long as it didn't display 1080 nor 720, so you can prolly backup your data before finally moving on. You can try and contact him (if you know him, since RR goes there anyway). I can't remember if he stopped fixing YLODs though. I'm having a blurry memory of him saying something about YLOD'd PS3s being a PITA, or anything between those lines.

If course, that's just one case of YLOD, or probably just a premature version.
Alright. I'm scheduled to bring my PS3 to the shop in Binondo tomorrow morning. The guy says that units which have not been opened or subjected to the heatgun treatment stand a better chance of being repaired successfully than those that have already been through another technician. I read through the whole thread (all ninety+ pages) and didn't even see a single complaint.

Here's to hoping that i get back to gaming within a week or so.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy their fate find glory."
You guys probably already know this, but I just found out that holding the disk eject button WHILE you flip on the main power switch for fats (or just plug in the power cable for slims) runs the internal fan's cleaning mode. Tongue
From what I know (and heard from others), it's dangerous though, because the fan may run too fast.

I'll do the vacuum method instead.
Why's it dangerous? Tongue What I read is that you just shouldn't do it AFTER playing, while the PS3 is warm. And there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for it to damage anything. Anyway, not a big deal. I just tested it once myself a while ago.
That's the exact same method i used to get a disc out from my PS3 the day after it first died on me.
My PS3 connects through a wired connection, but not through wireless. I wonder what's up.
(03-07-2012, 01:03 PM)Grim Wrote: My PS3 connects through a wired connection, but not through wireless. I wonder what's up.

Sounds like the opposite of my unit. I could never get it to connect when the net cable was directly attached to the PS3. But when i attempted the link thru a wireless router, it went online without a hitch.
@ Fan:

Oh, I see. I still want to grow paranoid though. Don't want to risk it just yet. LOL
Any of you looked at a Playstation Plus subscription? Honestly looks like a really good deal.

And congrats to Fox on his newly repaired PS3. At least RR now knows where to bring their PS3s if they ever break.
BTW, any recommended headsets? (for ACV, of course)
It wasn't cheap though. Quite a bit more expensive than ordinary repairs but much cheaper than buying a new one. And it has a better warranty (five months) than any other repair shop out there. Looks like the price was very much worth it.

I'm just happy that my best friend has been resurrected. Tongue
BTW, I just read that you can get your PSN Cards through the Best Buy site. You can use your PH credit card and they'll send you the code through email. Much cheaper than iTech or DB.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Compute...Id=1383039
im noticing that our ps3 is producing a noticeably loud fan noise.

is it because of the weakening thermal paste? maybe i should apply a new thermal paste. What thermal paste could you guys suggest?
Yeah, the thermal paste is probably drying out, so the PS3's fan is running harder to compensate.

Arctic Silver ata ang maganda? Guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

But if I were you, I'd just bring it to a reputable pro like where Fox brought his.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal BlitzKey 3 5,825 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: BlitzKey
  (And yet another) PlayStation 3 hack Twin-Skies 29 35,418 01-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Last Post: atdsutm
  Tekken 5, with some SC3 talk Sforza 39 36,491 12-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Serene
  Let's Talk War Games Sforza 11 11,552 12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Sforza
  New Sub-$400 Sony PlayStation 3 NiX 7 9,008 11-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Last Post: NiX